[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - My 39 Plymouth Coupe
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 6:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 My 39 Plymouth Coupe 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: My 39 Plymouth Coupe
Thanks for the nice words.

Unfortunately, I haven't actually done anything to this car, except buy stuff for it.

I hope to get my house remodel "done" in the next 6 months. I think I can realistically see getting to work on this in 2014.

Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:09 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

This info isn't really too usefull for most our Broncos, fortunately there is more support for Ford stuff than Dodge stuff. Optishift & now EFI Guy's solutions for the 4R70W controls make this easy. But I know you guys are doing some crazy stuff with cars and trucks and someone might be able to use this info. It took me a couple weeks of digging, but I think I found something very cool

I've been on Dodge forums a lot, and on the phone with EFI Guy more than once, trying to figure how to control my 99 Dodge 46RE trans. I was starting to think I would just give up and abandon this trans and get another. There is an older, hydraulic controlled trans that would have been a lot easier to do.

I've come up with 3 options.

First, I could use the Dodge PCM. This would require recreating a TPS, engine RPM, and VSS signal. The stock flex plate RPM trigger was not going to work easily due to the design of the 331 block & how the trans adapts to the block. I'd also have to buy a tuner and flash the PCM to ignore the missing signals from the missing motor, to avoid a "limp mode" reaction. Possibly/probably doable, but lots of time & probably lots of money to do it.

Second, Mega Squirt has some DIY computer boards that can be built to run transmissions. They are 100% DIY to build and 100% DIY to program. They have a forum dedicated to the product, but no one has posted up about a 46RE. I did some reading there, and quickly realized it wasn't the product for me.

Last night, I stumbled upon a stand-alone transmission controller made by PCS, it is highly adaptable and programmable. It only needs a TPS signal and a VSS signal. I might be able to retro fit the Dodge TPS to my carb, or they offer a carb TPS. I'm hoping I can use the sensor in the Explorer rear axle I have, as a VSS signal. You can use lots of other sensors if you like, and program the sensor ranges, transmission & rear end gear ratios, tire size, etc. It can even control an AWD t-case or use steering wheel buttons as controller inputs. It is capable of controlling many of the newest transmissions on the market with or without the stock ECUs. In short it will do much more than I'll ever need. Its not cheap, but I think the time it saves me trying to recreate the signals to the Dodge PCM will be worth it.

The company makes other controllers & products for lots of transmissions.
http://www.powertraincontrolsolutions.com/

Here is a link to the web site where I found the controller. They have a great reputation on the Dodge forums for building bulletproof transmissions. They have lots of info & parts for lots of different tranmissions. The site is not set up well, I was on it 100x before I found the controller.
http://www.transmissioncenter.net/

Now I think I can commit to using the trans I have. It might be short sighted, but I'm glad I can. I didn't really want to try to find another, and try to sell this one. And with the PCS controller, the electronic control & programming will be nice to have over the hydraulic models. I will call the controller & adapter guys next week and confirm what I'm thinking. If I'm right I'll order the adapter stuff and can get started. Adapting the trans to the block involves cutting the bellhousing off the transmission, and the parts aren't cheap. So I didn't want to move forward if I wasn't sure.

I think my first steps with the project will be to mount the motor, trans, and rear end. Then figure the steering linkage. I'll be using an early 90's Cavalier rack & pinion & Explorer front brake rotors & calipers.

I'm glad I've had time to read & learn about these cars. I had no knowledge about how to do this when I bought the car, more than a year ago. I feel like I've got a much better vision of how this will progress than I did 18 months ago.

:burnout:

Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:03 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Hopefully this weekend I can meet up with you guys, and bring home my 331 Hemi block.

I've been researching and thinking about my trans choice. The tuner I found, would cost $750, plus a TPS, and untold time and other expenses to tune and get right.

I contacted a transmission company in Denver (found them through Ebay transmission searchs), they said they would take my electronic controlled trans in as a core for a rebuilt hydraulic controlled trans. So for a *little* more money than trying to use my trans with 140k, I get a rebuilt trans. They also said I could bring a modified empty trans case and they would build it.

The company is All Star Automotive. I've talked to them twice in the last few months, and they've been very receptive to my questions, and odd requests (swap 4x4 OD unit for 2x4 OD unit, and swap 46RE trans for 46RH). FWIW they have a good rep on Ebay, and the BBB.

Any experience/advice would be appreciated. Even other shops that might offer the same kind of service.

The 331 block has the bellhousing cast into the motor block. To install a modern automatic transmission, you have to cut the bellhousing off the transmission. The destructions from the adapter company suggest that you drill 1000 1/4" holes around the bellhousing and then cut through the rest of the way with a sawzall. Followed by fine tuning with a grinder.

For anyone interested here are the manufacturer's destructions:
http://www.wilcap.com/331-318%20INST%20Web.pdf

The end result will be something that looks like this:
331-318asm.jpg

I found an empty trans case on Ebay. I'm going to cut this one up and use it to mock up the driveline. Then send it to a trans shop to be built. I figured this would be easier to cut the case, and do the mock up.

I scribed a line & then sharpied it where I'd be cutting.

P1010997.JPG
P1010996.JPG

I checked out a big band saw a friend has at a machine shop, but I doubt it will work easily, not quite big enough. He mentioned plasma. I had thought about it, but hoped the band saw would work. I'm now reconsidering. When I get a chance I'll hook my plasma up to 220v and do a test cut through the bellhousing and see how it works.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:00 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

This thing is still sitting, waiting.

I have picked up a few cool things for it along the way.

Just this week I managed to make a deal for a complete factory correct upholstery set. Everything but the carpet. It came from a well regarded classic interior company that closed their doors a few years ago. It was purchased in 2014 but never unboxed. Car was sold, you know the story.

Sample and original invoice
KIMG1663.JPG

Door panels
KIMG1668.JPG

Visors, headliner, kick & quarter panels, rear package tray and behind the seat parts, complete installation hardware
KIMG1667.JPG

Full seat Moskin upholstery and all the padding
KIMG1665.JPG
KIMG1666.JPG

He mentioned he had a few other parts, so I had to ask.

My gauge glass is cracked, and the paint is a little faded. It's never been reproduced, and it has a bubble shape over the speedo. Hen's teeth.

P1010197.JPG

Not only did he have one, it had been restored. And he threw in a restored horn button.

KIMG1661.JPG
KIMG1664.JPG
KIMG1662.JPG

I'm not sure he knew how hard it is to find the speedo glass. Despite $500 to ship everything, I'm very happy with the buy. It was a nail biter waiting for the shipment. Not only was it a large purchase, but if it were damaged or lost, replacing any of it is difficult or impossible.

One other rarity I've managed to acquire is a NOS front nose trim piece. These aren't easy to find in any condition. Obviously they are regularly damaged. I was told early on, in no uncertain terms, buy it if you find it. I bought my whole pile of parts Plymouths, in large part, because there was one (with significant damage) in the pile. Turns out that damaged one isn't even factory, it has obvious differences and must have been an aftermarket replacement. I didn't even know that was a thing for this old of a car.

KIMG1669.JPG
KIMG1670.JPG

Someday, I'll start on this, I swear.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:48 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Oh yeah, I forgot about this thing.

I found a complete 1954 Chrysler 331 hemi with a 727 adapter plate.

KIMG1672.JPG

Before this I had picked up 2 disassembled 51-53 331 Hemis. These are less desireable than the 54-55 331s because they have a extended bell housing and very low flow heads.

The 54 has a great set of heads. It was also the only year to offer a factory 4 bbl intake for the 51-54 heads. One of the 51-53 motors I picked up has that same hard to find intake as well. Also the first 51-53 motor I picked up from FlatheadPopup here on CCB has a ceramic coated old school Weiand 2x4 intake with Carter carbs. So I've managed to end up with 2 rare factory 4bbl intakes and a discontinued vintage Weiand intake, 2 complete (disassembled 51-53 motors), 1 complete assembled 1954 motor, and 3 1956 354 Hemi heads.

P1010995.JPG

I need to sell off the rest of my HPD44 parts hoard, I don't have room for my first gen Hemi hoard.

Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:15 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

WOW!! What a find. Congrats.

Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:02 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:29 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Getting and keeping the Broncos running. I know, try finding parts for a 1952 Williys Aero Wing .

Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:53 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post My 39 Plymouth Coupe
I still remember gawking at this thing back in Gunnison. If anyone can track down all the parts it’s you.

Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:03 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:48 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

This another parts car? I don't believe I've seen an exterior picture of yours?

Wed May 03, 2023 9:52 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed May 03, 2023 10:36 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

That is rad!!

Wed May 03, 2023 11:15 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed May 03, 2023 11:20 am
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2