[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - engine swap? don't disown me
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 7:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 engine swap? don't disown me 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post engine swap? don't disown me
So I have a question for you all. I know I may get some hate mail responses for this but i am going to throw it out there any way. So my bronco has a 170ci six banger and the three tree. I have a (egdod) backwards for safty purposes, 1994 2500 pickup with a gas 5.9 liter and a nv4500 trans, see where this is going yet? Im thinking about ripping these drivetrains out and putting in the 5.9 with nv4500 trans in the bronco since i dont have the funds to get a rebuilt 302 and buying advanced adapters for the 302 setup. Just want to see how many of you are completely against this which I would understand or to see who may think this isnt such a bad idea. LOOKING FORWARD TO YOUR RESPONSE. I really want the nv4500 in this thing with spending a ton. I would keep the six in if I could adapt the trans to it, but no such finds. I have seen worse. cheby 350's in early broncos

Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:17 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: engine swap? don't disown me
I have heard of about every engine being put into Classic Broncos. It seems like it would be a lot more work but if think if you can make it all fit, then run with it. I am glad you brought this up - it will be interesting to watch this thread on fitting, modifications, adapters, experience, etc.

Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:00 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

i don't believe the 6cylinder cummins will fit, its too long, but the 4bt should just fine, although its a fairly involved swap, there's a few writeups on classicbroncos.com

75' bronco, 302, carb'd for now, i'm gathering parts for efi, 3g alternator, saginaw pump, 4x4x2 box, fw hp44, fw 9", N.P. 435 w/ gearbanger shifter, twin stick'd dana 20, 2" BL, 5.5" wildhorses lift, and 35" km2's

Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:49 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Oh no im talking about the 5.9 or 360 cuinch gas engine v-8. This looks like it should transfer in pretty easily the engine is very compact with accessories tucked in tightly should have plenty of room. Only things needed looks like redoing the motor mounts which should be short work with a plasma cutter. Of course the transercase mount as well

Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:55 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'll play negative Nancy on this one.

What's your mileage currently at on the 5.9? If its a '94, I'm going to guess 100k+. Has it been rebuilt? If not, how much longer do you think you can run it without a rebuild?

What transfer are you planning to run behind this potential swap? Is your Dodge 4x4? Are you going to use that transfer? Are Dodges passenger side or driver's side drop for the front output shaft/drive shaft?

'94= fuel injected, correct? Now we're going to need to adapt that to the Bronco wiring harness.

I say do what you want to with this potential swap. However, if it all comes down to price point, you're going to be better off in the long run if you simply save the coin and do it right versus doing it inexpensive.

Always budget twice as much money and time as you think it will take. Better to come out with money left over than to be stuck in the middle of something and broke.

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

1973 Stroppe Baja project

Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:20 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

If you can't afford to rebuild a V8 and you want to ditch your 6 then I'd look for a used 302/351 on CL, I've seen them for as little as 300-600 for a runner and then you won't have the hassle of the swap. I love seeing new motors and drivetrain swapped into Bronco's but I think you'll find it is a long road to get there. I'd do a search on CB.com about swaps and read everything and everyone's ideas and problems sets. Then do what you like!

Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:16 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:32 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I do see your point, there is always different problems and obstacles to jump through to do such conversions. I have done alot of homework on this subject. The engine itself has been rebuilt with new heads. Drivers drop is a yes, I do not know if I want to use that t case but I am considering it. The fuel injection is one reason I want to do this. But of course the nv4500 is the main reason for all of this. I did I think this through as well, I have a in tank fuel pump sender that is a returnless pump setup from an late model ford that bolts to the top of the tank. Since the dodge uses returnless setup. I will just need to put a hole in the top of the tank and put some karserts inserts in and the sender will bolt right in. The wiring will probably be the easiest part. Just running power and ground to fuse box and computer. This all seems easy to talk about though, doing is another thing right. I just see the parts that are all needed to switch from a six to a 302 and its extensive. Change mounts different trans and tcase adapter, clutch and clutch linkage is different. Just thought it would be easier to use stuff I already have.

I guess the way im talking I have made up my mind, just wanted to see what other bronco owners thought of this. I thought everyone would be totally against this.

Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:36 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'm always for a little bit of difference and enguinuity! That said if cost savings is a leading factor in doing this, rethink it. I got a great deal on our full 5.0 EFI setup. I figured I would get the whole swap done for next to nothing.....I was way off. By the time you add in all the little things and everything else that comes up it is not cheap. Don't plan on saving money over a rebuild.

Just my 2 cents....

Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:38 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I could get a good deal on a efi 302 or 351 but I would still need a v-8 trans and v-8 bell housing flywheel clutch, and linkage transfercase adapter. or if using my nv4500 still need the 1000 dollar adapters to make it all work I could trade the truck for a ford but then I lose the reason for the nv 4500. the zf is another option but its not rock solid as the nv4500

alright my mind is set! the dodge is getting torn up tonight. will post pics of progress.

I thank you all for the input. I swear I am addicted to this website as much as craigslist

Last edited by cobshane on Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:58 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

75' bronco, 302, carb'd for now, i'm gathering parts for efi, 3g alternator, saginaw pump, 4x4x2 box, fw hp44, fw 9", N.P. 435 w/ gearbanger shifter, twin stick'd dana 20, 2" BL, 5.5" wildhorses lift, and 35" km2's

Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:59 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:08 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sorry about that, CB.com is short for www.classicbroncos.com.

Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:49 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:47 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:06 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:00 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

alright the transformation is under way and the bronco doesnt get a bolt moved till I get it all figured out. will be taking photos of my progress Welding

anyone need dodge 1500, 2500, 3500 pickup parts, all avalible other than drivetrain, not sure if im getting rid of the dana 60s

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:24 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

laughing2

I just quickly glanced at the pics of an engine sitting in a frame and thought "holy crap, he's already got it in!"

What's the story with the donor truck? Just something you had laying around? Parting it out after? I just spied a '93 5.9 Cummins on the COS craigslist the other day for 1700.

The Terrible One

Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:36 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:03 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

holy crap its cold tonight what happened to the 40 degree nights..well i got the engine and trans assem out and bent the bleep out of my bronco bumper, actually i think it just shifted in bolt holes from moving the pickup around with the bronco ahh i was planning on moving the top apart out a little anywho. didnt touch the grill thank god. time to take the set up to the carwash spit

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:50 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

This is one of the funnest threads to watch! Going to be so cool when it is done! Keep the pics coming!

Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:17 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

This is a blast, I have never torn a truck apart with no intention of puttinit back together. Im glad your enjoying this

Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:14 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Oh man what a day. Meeting with the guys in Castle Rock to swap parts to tearing down the Bronco to put in the engine that I have been threatening. I have gotten quite a bit done, well at least got the engine mounted up. Still waiting on the new frame mounts and 2 inch body lift to help give some more clearane for the engine and trans.did get the body back on the frame and fits quite well. Really need the body lift for the trans it hits on the tunnel and I don't want to cut to much out. I will posts more pics tomorrow to show how it sits as of now. And need to reinforce the mounts a little more just to be safe.

Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:43 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wow. Coming along well. That is going to be a cool swap.

Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:34 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Still cut Into the tunnel abit can't wait for the body lift just want to get running

Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:59 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You know, I didn't realize Sunday when we talked that you are the guy doing the Dodge engine swap. That thing is going to be original FOR SURE. Uncut '66 with a Dodge 5.9 and NV4500. A conversation piece for sure.

Looks as if you have a very nice place to do your swap. Very convenient having that lift and all of that equipment.

The Terrible One

Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:16 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Looks like it fits perfectly. Keep the pictures coming!

Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:09 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:55 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

the swap looks like it's going well hope theres no complications would like to see what the mileage is when your done. and if you ever find that dash email me

Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:04 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next