[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - New radiator ideas
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 7:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 New radiator ideas 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post New radiator ideas
I've read up on some aluminum vs copper core radiators and I'd like some help. My current stock radiator started leaking in one corner. The leak is minimal but with the new 97 explorer EFI, a new (clean) one seems pretty appealing. The stock radiator kept my temp in the 170 range most of time. I have all new hoses and it goes well with the shroud. My questions are: since the stock one fits and works well, should I just get the reproduction from Tom's? $199 plus shipping
http://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/product/ ... bronco-new

Or Should I go with this guy who has them in aluminum to fit? $215
http://denver.craigslist.org/ptd/4205350851.html

Or....I've heard an early 90s V6 explorer radiator fits and there's a crap ton at the salvage yards but there's a good portion of plastic in them. Plus I'd most likely have to change out my hoses and get it to fit. $50 plus new hoses and maybe a pressure flush $50.

Or maybe there's a better idea out there...

Thanks fellas.

I do run an external trans cooler for my C4.

Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:23 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: New radiator ideas
IMHO, I personally think you'd be better off with the Toms replacement. Aluminum seems to be less flexible (more brittle) and tends to leak more often.

Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:30 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:01 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

save up and go 4 core.

Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:58 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Check in w/ Landshark as well, he said his aluminum rad fins bent when he pressure washed his truck, YIKES!

Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:04 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I would go with a new, lifetime warranty explorer radiator for $130. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/ ... 277%2C5281

Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:26 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

i would go with a direct drop in replacement...

the 69 has an aluminum radiator and it did get all gnarled up from the pressure washer.. i had to hand bend each fin back into place but still a mess.. oppps... other than that so far it has been fine, seems to cool good, no leaks and no other problems but haven't had it long.

The 76 still has the original radiator, took it in to get flushed and pressure tested before I put it back into the Bronco and it has been great.

Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:50 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'm leaning towards the oem direct drop in unless the 94 Explorer radiator performs better. The cost will be about the same (once I get new hoses, backets...) but the oem "drop in" has less of a chance for me to mess it up.

Both have the auto trans cooler ports. Which do you think works better? The external or the internal.

Thanks.

Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:24 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:56 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:45 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The major perk of using the internal cooler for the trans is that it can help keep your trans oil up to temp in cold weather. Not really a major issue, but it allow tighter control of trans temps overall since they become tied to engine temp. It'd really only be a benefit if you're DDing it, as most of us don't drive our rigs that much when it's cold out. I'd be tempted to try the internal cooler and reinstall the external one if you have issues. Re: which radiator, I'd vote for a stock copper/brass radiator as well. I don't like the idea of plastic tanks, as I've seen them leak. I've got an aluminum one on my Bronco because it was really cheap when I needed to replace my old one. They're less durable in the long run, can't be easily repaired, and need a sacrificial anode to prevent electrolysis.

Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:52 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I found this one at Adv Auto with no shipping and all the goofy discounts. Yeah, it only has a one year warranty, but I like that I wont have to change anything else.
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp ... m=radiator
Last call for any other suggestions. Cuz if this doesnt work out, it's all your faults.

Next time I see Casades rig, I'll pick his brain.

Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:47 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

That looks like a good option.

Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:41 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Funny I found this thread.....

I got the CarQuest Premium Radiator #433521 and it worked great for 9 years. I was hoping to get another one and pop it in for another 9 years but they don't make it and Adv Auto can't find a suitable replacement. So, back here to post up for your advise.

What I had:
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/car ... /3902587-P
Notice the cap and trans hoses are on the Passenger side

The 94 explorer has the cap and trans hoses on the driver side:
https://www.autozone.com/cooling-heatin ... /22297_0_0
Is this my best option and have to dig up part numbers for radiator hoses?

Thanks,
Blast from the past Gregg

Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:56 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Howdy stranger

I have been running one of the Explorer radiators with the plastic end tanks for several years now without any problems. It even survived our long trip from Denver to La Paz Baja which included some extended high speed dirtroads (vibration) and of course the rock crawling twisting / turning.

That's my vote!

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:19 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Does anyone have part numbers for the radiator hoses I'll hafta get?
-I've got the oil cooler to work with.

Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]