[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Rear Spring Compression / Extension
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Rear Spring Compression / Extension 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Rear Spring Compression / Extension
So I was out last week looking at an old (68) Chevy truck and I noticed that on the front springs, someone had installed a bracket on one side that seemed to shorten / crimp the springs just a bit and they had inserted some kind of a what looked like a huge screw in bolt to lengthen the other spring just a bit. The truck sat perfectly level. Both of the parts looked manufactured not just thrown in there. Has anyone ever seen anything like that before? I was actually wondering if I could do something similar to my Bronco to get rid of the rear passenger side lean.

Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:36 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Rear Spring Compression / Extension
When I welded in new floors it got rid of my lean. If I was you I would figure out the problem and correct it. You could have bad springs or a bad body mount. They do make a part to hold springs apart. When I bought my 70 Lemans the previous owner wanted an old school hot rod rake, but did not have money for new springs so he added a spring spacer. (I don't know if that is the correct name). It drove really bad very stiff.

1974 Ford Bronco 3 1/2 inch James Duff lift ,2 inch body lift, 351w Explorer EFI, Viper built c4, Viper built Dana 20 with wildhorses twin stick, Kinder built Dana 44 with 4.56 gears disc brakes aussie locker and knuckle over conversion, Kinder built 9 inch with grizzly locker 31 spline axles and 4.56 gear

Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:01 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'll second that. It sounds like there is an underlying problem that needs assessment and repair. It may be as simple as a bad spring or broken leaf.

Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:29 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

John you're just running blocks in the rear correct? So it's most likely your rear stock springs as everything else is new

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

75' bronco, 302, carb'd for now, i'm gathering parts for efi, 3g alternator, saginaw pump, 4x4x2 box, fw hp44, fw 9", N.P. 435 w/ gearbanger shifter, twin stick'd dana 20, 2" BL, 5.5" wildhorses lift, and 35" km2's

Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:34 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I ran some spring spacers on my first car to give it that hotrod look. They were some screw looking devices that were square, started out small and as you twisted them in, got larger for more lift. Didn't seem to change the ride any.
Ahh, found a pic:

However, I do have to agree with others in that there are likely other issues causing the lean. I would think you could quickly determine whether it was a suspension problem or a body problem by laying a level across your frame.

Other places to look is to make sure the C-bushings on the front axle are installed correctly. Do you have a rear locker? Sometimes when they are in a bind (parked with the wheels turned) they can cause some suspension bind and make the bronco lean, but that would be dependent on which direction the wheels were turned.

Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:52 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Jesus_Man --

That is exactly what they looked like! Perfect, thanks. But I think Colorado75Bronc is correct -- everything else EXCEPT the rear springs are new, so that is probably where I should start. Well, once I get the dive to the right under heavy breaking figured out! :-)

Thanks all!

Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]