[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Opinions
It is currently Fri Jul 05, 2024 10:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Opinions 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Opinions
I was cleaning the garage a few weeks ago and realized the tailgate I took for Bronco #2 is a 66/early 67 tailgate. I'm thinking of selling it.

It's in relatively good shape and I would assume it's got a little value for the '66/67 restorers. Hell, the bench seats are going for $800-1200! The problem is, if I were to sell it, I can't find any for sale to gauge a value on it.

So, here's the question: What do you think a 66/67 'eyebrow' tailgate is worth? Follow-up question: Should I sell it or hold on to it for a bit hoping it will gain more value?

I'm not going to use it when I do my new body and could probably use the money to re-invest in the Bronco or the house.

Ready....go!

Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:40 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Opinions
I don't believe holding on to it will see any significant increase in value over time. The '66 specific market seems to be at its peak, or very close to it.

In 40 years when it's a bona fide relic, there will only be 5 '66 owners left looking for a tailgate and none of them are going to want to spend more than new tailgate money for it.

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

1973 Stroppe Baja project

Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:57 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Pretty much agree with ^^

The restored original crowd, the people for whom those are a part of their youth and they MUST have one EXACTLY like it is dying off.

There is a long thread on CB about an article about a shop in Columbus OH that has turned into a discussion of the degeneration of the meaning of restored, in short the younger people don't care.

Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:28 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:20 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'd sell it. If it's not critical to you to have it, why keep cash on the table? I don't see it's value going up hugely.

Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:48 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks for the advice, fellas. I am leaning toward selling it. Like a couple of you said, I don't think it's going to hugely increase in value. And it may be hitting the peak right now.

But what would the value be? There's not any I could find out there for sale, thus the trouble putting a $ amount to it. shrug I would guess it would be worth more than a new tailgate. I just don't want to, as Justin said, keep cash on the table. And, the 'it's worth what someone will pay for it' shtick won't work...

Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:55 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Throw it on EBay with a reserve. Then post the eBay link in CB. That'll get you close to seeing what it's worth to somebody, and with a reserve, you'll get at least a minimum of what you're willing to give it up for.

Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:07 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

X2 on ebay if you're willing to deal with shipping it. That's where you'll get top dollar.

Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:12 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'm going to be the voice of dissention on the eBay route. Having personally witnessed several '66 specific part auctions recently, I can tell you it is VERY hit or miss. A one year only horn button and steering wheel topped out around 450. A one year only metal fresh air box, didn't break 100 and never hit the reserve.

eBay has, to be blunt, become a friggin flea market. And I do not mean that in a flattering way. So many people are selling crap on their site that you simply cannot find anything you are looking for. The introduction of the eBay storefront and the ability to keyword the hell out of your items means you have to sift through 3,000 light bulbs to find one genuine Bronco part.

Combine this with the fact that tailgates are produced and readily available, in an incorrect but barely perceptible form, and I don't think eBay comes through as the winning format for sale. To me, I think people are simply willing to spend 350.00 on a brand new, incorrect tailgate than to wait out on auction on a one year only part that could wind up costing them twice as much. And really, who would know the difference?

To me, CB.com is the place to sell. It is visited by people who are smart on the fact that it is a unique part. It is visited by people who are potentially looking for the part. And it is a community that believes immensely in trust and accurate representation.

Some people out there have taken the top portion of the '66 tailgate and grafted it onto the new reproduction tailgate to get the right look. You have to figure this fabrication cost them probably around 550-650 to accomplish. Depending on the condition of your tailgate, I'd say it could start out in about that price range. To accurately estimate its worth though, it's really worth putting some pictures up.

Many people out there are looking for original paint parts. So, if it is OE paint with no rust or dents, I'd say you're probably closer to 700.

As a matter of reference, I have seen people offer 150 for a rust out, beat to hell '66 tailgate so long as the top half is straight and not rusted through.

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:30 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I thought I had posted a pic with the first post, but I guess I forgot. There's a tiny rust hole in the driver bottom, but I don't think it's hammered at all. It appears to be pretty solid. May need a couple of small repairs. Here's a couple:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:04 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I think you should get it blasted and see if those pin holes are alone. If they are, I'd put it up on CB.com. Cut those welded on tabs off first though.

The Terrible One

Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]