[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Ignorant Inheritor Needs Assistance
It is currently Thu Jul 04, 2024 12:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Ignorant Inheritor Needs Assistance 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Ignorant Inheritor Needs Assistance
Hello All,

I recently inherited and shipped (after two years of sitting in a mine in PA) a frame-up restoration 1968 Bronco 302 to Centennial (restoration from the ground up minus the body...engine rebuilt, fuel injection, disc brakes, etc.) from my father. I have many things I would like to modify to make it more Colorado worthy but have almost no clue where to start. I am currently working in the Middle East but plan to return in early October. I am looking for someone to help me evaluate the truck and assist in constructing a list of items to purchase over the winter to make it much more trail ready for next season. I am an engineer, mechanically inclined, and am not afraid of doing the work myself. I would also be happy to turn this into a mini event with a few participants as I will be new to this scene and will be looking for partners in crime moving forward.

I am not asking for anyone to donate time gratis and am more than willing to pay an hourly fee for the consultation as well as provide quality craft beer and something on the smoker...likely pork as I have been swine deprived over the past few months :). Please reach out to me here with a post and I will shoot out a text/email upon my return.

**NOTE TO ADMINS - If there are several responses to this post, I would really appreciate some guidance in vetting "safe bet" individuals if you are familiar with them. This comes not only from a knowledge basis but a safety standpoint too. Thanks so much in advance for your support!! Please send personal messages to shaneamcmanus@gmail.com for recommendations.

Thanks to all for the consideration and I look forward to meeting up with the group in the near future :)

Best Regards,
Shane

1968 Bronco, 1969 302

Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:51 pm

Post Re: Ignorant Inheritor Needs Assistance
Shane,

Welcome to our slice of heaven. You came to the right spot. No one here in this group will steer you in the wrong/unsafe direction.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:04 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

x2. Starting with a list of current modification and end goals will help. Is it lifted, have tires, etc. Do you want a mall crawler or trail rig (or something in between), and how hard a trail do you think you'll want to do?

Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:38 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Like Justin said, throw out some end goals and we can help you plan backwards.

We have builds from fully stock restro to hardcore rock buggy to serious restro-mods. For a small group, there is a lot of knowledge tied up in this club, some of the best in the EB segment.

Welcome!

Average 23.5 mpg, Best tank: 25.1 mpg

Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:30 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Welcome to the club. You've found the right place to help get your rig on the road. We have a great group of guys, with amazing knowledge & experience. Its a fairly tight knit group, no need to worry about who's offering help.

Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:03 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Welcome to the Bronco world. There are many *ahem* diseases associated with this little rig. And I am sure you'll experience them all as you go thru your rig.
Bronco-creep = while I have it apart, I might as well do...which often time results in a full frame-off resto.
Bronco-itis = thinking about broncos nearly 24/7

In any case, I also have complete confidence in all the members here to steer you in the right direction. And the guidance you'll receive will likely be from direct experience as well.

We have rules tho and you've already broken one...POST PICTURES! We love to drool over these machines!

As others mentioned, we need to know what you want in the end. You want something that will be at home on the street and a mild trail or two, or something like Penrose trail system (being ~ 9 of 10):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4x2AZEb33k - sorry bad example of "crawling".

Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:12 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

As far as bad advice, not to worry anything offered up that is not great will be corrected by those who know better.

Welcome to the illness that is contracted as soon as you seriously consider ownership of one of these wonderful time and money wasters

If you are the smartest person in the room -
You are in the wrong room

Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:53 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Welcome.

Your tetanus shots are up to date, right? :laughing2:

Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:57 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

There are quite a few of us on the south end of Denver that can help when the time comes, of course offering up food and drink will guarantee a good turnout.

Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:45 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Don't listen to any of these guys, they don't know what they're talking about! Just listen to the voice in your head that tells you to, "while its removed, I may as well..." Just kidding- this club has helped me more than I could've ever expected. You're in good hands when you return. And welcome to the club.

Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:54 pm
VENDOR
VENDOR

Welcome aboard! Craft beer, smoked pork,.... You're gonna fit right in.

Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:43 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Welcome! ^^x2.

Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:19 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:11 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Ok - this thread has gone on just about long enough without a single picture of this "alleged" bronco.... Time to drag out this old standby

:worthless:

If you are the smartest person in the room -
You are in the wrong room

Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:51 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Maybe I'm having a cynical day...........

But he's been a member for a year, has two posts and hasn't been on here since Monday shortly after he started this thread ???

Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:39 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Yup

Average 23.5 mpg, Best tank: 25.1 mpg

Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:22 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Life has a way of keeping you away from the things you want to pursue.

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

1973 Stroppe Baja project

Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:25 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

He said he is currently working in the Middle East. Maybe his location gives him limited access to the interwebs.

Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:49 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

We've got a decent number of lurkers on the board.

Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:05 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Ha...Thanks for all the support so far gentlemen (and possibly ladies).

I will reply to these in line....

Justin/Digger, Based on this rating scale (http://www.colorado4x4.org/trail_ratings.html), I think I would like to be approaching an 8. I don't think there are any mods on the truck that would improve it trail readiness. My father expressed regret in turning it more towards a race car and away from its intended purpose which I intend to rectify. The shocks (I think...showing my ignorance) are now too stiff and it fishtails like crazy on the washboards. No lift, 7 tires and rims but will need to be replaced for something larger...

Heaps of smiles to current responses, Jesus_man - hockeydad4-22 - sykanr0ng - Eck - DanHall, I have caught a little of the sickness and am sure to get worse before I get better :D

Can't wait to get home from the work trip. My apologies for lack of response but colby45 is correct...I am working at a new nuclear construction site in the UAE 6 days a week 14 hour days. Kinder/EFI Guy, I am thinking about Avery and Pork and McCallan when I return and you will be more than welcome to come for "Assessment Day" :)

Thanks for poking me Hockeydad4-22 - sykanr0ng - Digger...I only have two pics with me but have a couple videos that I shot in PA before bringing it out...hopefully these will load. I will post a couple more pics when I get back to CO (hopefully by the first week of Oct)...

Thanks again for all the support and looking forward to getting more involved with the group as time pushes forward!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1968 Bronco, 1969 302

Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:04 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Seeing as videos can't be uploaded here, I quickly opened an account and uploaded a couple to YouTube....Hopefully this works...

1968 Bronco, 1969 302

Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:41 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Your goal is about the same as mine, trail capable to somewhere between a 7 and an 8 on that scale.

My first Bronco had dual heavy duty shocks on all four corners (done two previous owners before me), drive over a dime and tell you if it was heads or tails, on the plus side it would not wallow through any corners on mountain roads no matter how hard it was pushed.

Sounds good in the videos.

Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:18 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Looks good! Sounds good too. Should be a great start to where you want to take it.

Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:44 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

OK, so to reliably run trails they rate at an 8 you'll want:

-35" tires, with 37's being even better. That will require:
-4-5" of lift. This can be a combination of suspension and body lift. On early Bronco's things get wonky above 3.5" of suspension lift, so lots of folks combine those with a 2" body lift to run 35's. You can run 37's with that amount of lift, but it'll require some fairly serious body trimming. That's the route I'm taking with mine. 37's are about the max the stock front axle can handle, and even then upgraded axle shafts are a good idea. This assumes you have a Dana 44 rather than a Dana 30 which is what came stock in that year of Bronco. A swap is easy if you can track down a stock EB Dana 44, and a swap to full width axles isn't that hard either.
-Differential Lockers. A rear locker makes a huge difference, and a front one is helpful as well.
-Roll cage. Safety first!
-Disc brakes. Ford is preferred for a trail rig, chevy swap also works great.
-Lower differential gears. These are needed to compensate for the larger tires.
-If you've got the stock 3 speed, a transmission swap is nice, but not mandatory. Something with a lower first gear makes a big difference.

It's kind of a big list, but can be done in pieces. Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither are Broncos. You may also find that you're just as happy with mellower trails. I'm building mine to tackle fairly hardcore trails, but am just as happy running dirt roads and exploring the backcountry.

Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:18 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

To add to Justin's comments...
Suspension : you need a fair amount of articulation to tackle 8 rated trails, especially if you want to do it gracefully. 11leaf packs seem to do this best. Here is also some trick spring rockers that gain a couple inches of lift and gain flex. You'll need to do some radius arm modifications to allow the front to move and some good springs with taller shocks.

Engine: you want this to run at odd angles. Some guys have good luck with certain carbs but EFI sure does an amazing job and I think any carb will struggle on anything over a 6 rated trail.

Gearing: for me I like to match near stock gearing after I chose my tire size keeping your highway speeds and rpms the same. Maybe just a tad lower to compensate for more wind resistance and added unsprung weight. I think the best place for trail gears is in the transfer case. And you'll need some good low gearing for the higher rated trails.

I'd work on reliability then look into lift, tires, and axle gearing/ lockers. Wheel it a while and see what you think the next step is.

Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:27 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Great info...Thanks! After speaking to a friend about some trails he took me on earlier in the summer, it seems as though I will be shooting for a vehicle the will handle 7's.

That makes me think 35's are in my future. I will start doing some research into what you all have given me so far and make a priority list and the associated components to go along with each activity. Will then post here and look for some feedback again before I just start shooting from the hip and ordering stuff. Thanks again!!

1968 Bronco, 1969 302

Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:40 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sounds great! You'd be amazed at what you can accomplish with 35's on a bronco with the right stuff!

Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:38 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

That thing looks like a real nice platform to start on. sounds decent too. no shortage of excellent people here as you have already noticed.

Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:03 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

OK...so finally got some time to do some research and have come up with the following loose to-do/buy list...noting is concrete until I buy it and would love to hear any feedback if you have any. Also, are there any gaping holes in what I am thinking here? As always, thanks so much for the time and help!!

- Carb…
o Need to figure out if the old man put an EFI in or not (Several items on this list need to be researched once I get back to the states and lay my eyes on the Bronco again….)

- 35” Tires
o Whatever is cost effective and looks decent

- 2.5” Suspension Lift
o http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/category/B ... System_2in
o http://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/category ... suspension

- 2” Body Lift (Pros and cons to upping this to 3” or leaving this alone and increasing the suspension to 3.5”?)
o http://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/category ... -body-lift
o http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/category/Bronco_Body_Lifts

- Differential Lockers (ARB Air Lockers) http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/category/B ... ferentials
o Rear
o Front
 Dana XX, X.XX ratio?
 Air Compressor
http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/ARB ... p8607.html
 Manifold Kit
http://www.carid.com/arb/air-locker-man ... Hwodq68HRg

- Roll Cage (6-Point)
o http://www.broncobob.com/

- Lower Differential Gears?
o Dana XX?
o Ratio? Tire Size dependent…

- Spare Tire Carrier and Bumpers?
o http://www.broncobob.com/

- Switch to a 5-Speed?

1968 Bronco, 1969 302

Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:43 pm

Good plans.

Changes I would make.

Up the suspension lift to 3.5 and lower body lift to the integrated WH 1" body lift kit.

Go with NV3550 5 speed. Gear at 5.13 for the 35's.

I have Arb front and Detroit rear. The Detroit is not as friendly on the street in my opinion but works well off road. Depends how much time you spend on vs off I guess.

I love protofab plate bumpers -- so much so I bought 2 sets.

Efi - prior owner put mustang efi stuff on mine and works great.

Thanks my 2 cents. Do whatever you want...it's yours!

Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next