[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Gun
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 2:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Gun 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Gun
Thinking about getting a firearm to have around the house for home defense and the occasional trip to destroy small, helpless tin cans in the woods. I'm leaning heavily towards a pump 12 gauge since they're intimidating, easy to aim while stressed, very effective at close ranges and not likely to put a bullet through my wall into a neighbor's home. Just wanted to see if you all had suggestions. I'd be most interested in a good workhorse grade shotty-reliable and well made but not expensive. Also open to suggestions of other guns I should consider.

Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:11 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Gun
Well I am not much of a home protection firearms owner. But I do have a Remington 870 express that I use to hunt and for sporting clays. It has been 100% reliable and never jams for over 18 years. I know they make shorty pistol grip stocks and shorter barrels for them. IF I was concerned about home protection that is what I would use for sure.

If you are the smartest person in the room -
You are in the wrong room

Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:37 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The Rem 870 mentioned or a Mossberg 12 ga pump would get the job done.
some say the action of the pump is as scary as the shot itself(for the intruder)
some say they leave it loaded so as not to disclose your location to a posible threat.
All opinion based of course.

there are so many diff loads you can get for 12ga.
you can go bird to slug to non lethal if you wanted. and with diff barrels and stocks could go from 18" pistol grip to full stock and barrel for huntin stuff

If you have kids that might change what you use for that purpose.
I usually have an xd .40, snubbie .38 wheel gun and my sig p238 .380 all within a few seconds reach.
I have a small safe in the bedroom and it is easy to keep them secured in the safe when it is time to leave for the day, taking with me whatever I feel like for CCW for the day.

a long gun would require a trip to the basement to properly secure.

also as important would be a good flashlight, check here http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/lowlight.htm
for a long but very informative read on low light shooting and techniques.

good luck

one more thing as far as over penetration is concerned there are quite a few rounds out there that are designed to disipate almost all of their energy on the first couple of things they hit so dont let that determine your choice of arm or caliber.

Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:03 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

My home protection is a Black 12 Gauge that came with 2 barrels - 1 for home defense and the other for sporting. Likely always stay in the home defense mode but nice to have other options. I got it at Cabela's and paid around $400 on sale but that is much cheaper than 2 shotguns. I added a pistol grip stock and that took the intimidation factor up a notch. You will likely NEVER need to shoot it - not many things scarier than the sound of a pump Shotgun. I cannot believe I forgot the brand.

Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:01 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

For 12 gauges you pretty much have two options: economy and quality. The Remington 870 mentioned above would be quality. 870s have a very nice, smooth action and are a well built gun. The Mossberg 500 would be your economical gun. Some say the action has too much slop and the pump feels too loose. I've shot both. I have a couple of Mossbergs, no Remingtons.

Remington has the safety located on the trigger guard. Somewhat awkward in my opinion, but nothing that cannot be overcome with practice. The Mossberg safety is mounted on the top backside of the receiver. Easy to push forward or back with your thumb. My personal recommendation for a shotgun that will be in the home with kids is to make sure the weapon is clear, point in a safe direction, and pull the trigger. Then load the tube and keep the chamber clear leaving the gun on fire. Pulling the trigger releases the locks on the pump and allows you to simply pick up the gun and pump a round in to the chamber without pushing the pump release. This is how we carry all of our breaching shotguns, as guys who did not grow up taking rabbits and doves have a tendency to fumble around with the safety while moving from door to door.

As far as wall penetration goes, do your homework. Just as mentioned before, there are several ammunition loads designed to dissipate on impact with anything non-fleshy. Federal Air Marshal grade ammo is a perfect example. However, handguns for home defense with a novice user (read: spouses in most cases) can be awkward and just as dangerous as not having a gun. Adrenaline and fear often overcome what little firearm training some people have.

One last thing, if the shotgun has the potential of being used by a spouse, keep the pistol grips off of them unless you are confident she can handle it in that configuration. Shotguns are a bit awkward to hold and aim with pistol grips on them. In the heat of the moment, it is much easier to tuck a full stock under the armpit, point and engage than it is to wield a pistol gripped gun.

My $0.02, for what it's worth.

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

1973 Stroppe Baja project

Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:18 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

How's about a motion detection system at your front door that took a picture of everyone who stepped on to your porch?

One of these days I'm going to get around to finally installed a full 8 camera security surveillance system on my house. Would have come in handy to identify the person who left foot prints in the snow leading to my porch the other day.

Just to clarify my earlier comment regarding leaving the chamber empty, gun on fire with the trigger pulled: the reason I recommend that for a home with kids, especially smaller kids, is the likelihood of a toddler finding a gun and manipulating a trigger and safety is pretty good. It's easy to do and kids are smart. The likelihood of the same toddler being able to manipulate the pump is less so. But in the end, restricting the access to guns through safes provides the maximum safety but with the most restrictions to getting to it when needed.

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:28 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:35 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks for all the advice! I've looked at both the Mossbergs and the 870, not sure which way I'd go yet. I'm willing to spend and extra $1-200 for a higher quality weapon and really like the idea of interchangeable barrels. The notion of my spouse using it isn't a concern-she has more firearms training than I do (she is a public defender, went through nearly a week of training on shooting, ballistics, etc. She has shot nearly every type of gun in existence, including a very early hand cranked Gatling.) I'm very concerned about storage safety with 2 small kids in the house and this is the biggest thing stopping me. I've got a good storage area in the back of my closet that the kids can't even get into, but this isn't a good long term solution. There is lots of horizontal room, but it won't fit an upright gun safe. Would a locking gun case be good enough or are there issues I'm not thinking of? Also, would buying a used shotgun be worth it for the smallish savings, or am I better off buying new given the relatively low cost of workhorse guns?

Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:33 pm

I have a mossberg pump. Been a great gun so far. Has been bird hunting a lot. But for me my home protection is my 357. Easy to get to and always ready. I also have my LCP right there for CCW. So I have a few ready.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:41 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:33 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Another weird phenomenon is the gun you use can come into play if you shoot someone in your home. I should likely take the pistol grip off my shotgun because it can be construed at I am a crazy gun loving nut job with an assault type rifle waiting for a break in. Another example is a Chrome Desert Eagle vs. a 1911. The Desert Eagle is such overkill that it may come back to haunt you. I still want a Desert Eagle tho icon biggin

Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:11 pm

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:44 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Might need to pull on the flame suit for this one, but I'm rooting against this bill. IMHO, Concealed Carry permits are not costly, burdensome, but maybe bureaucratic.

Permits do two things for us.
1) Ensure the person who is applying is competent and capable of not only using their firearm, if needed, AND not more of a danger to society armed than disarmed.
2) Provide law abiding citizens, such as myself, with a quick tangible form of proof that I am legit. The lack of a permit could easily enable a felon, deviant, what have you, to perpetrate the fraud of being legit. Most law enforcement agencies are underpaid and overworked. I'd prefer they had the ability to look at a quick permit, see I'm straight, and get back to doing what they should be doing.

The referenced material stated that Alaska uses this concept. Indeed they do. Alaska also has the lowest population numbers in the US and the highest percentages of convicted felons per capita in the US. Guess how many of them felons abide by that whole "can't carry a gun no more" rule.

As far as those pesky watch lists and agencies looking to take my stuff, well, I say bring it. It ain't gonna go quick and it ain't gonna be cheap. Besides, I think I'd rather go in a box than live here if they took 'em away.

The Terrible One

Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]