[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Problem with ZF-5 and BC Broncos
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
 Problem with ZF-5 and BC Broncos 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Problem with ZF-5 and BC Broncos
I will try and keep this short as I am at a loss at the moment and pissed to no end. I purchased a rebuilt ZF-5 and cross member from BC Broncos thinking that this would be a better option then finding a used transmission. Everything seemed fine as the build was coming together and then once it was completed and I started driving it I realized there was a leak in the transmission. Upon further inspection the tail housing had been welded and painted over and was leaking. I contacted BC Broncos and they sent out another transmission. Although I wasn't happy about switching the transmission I was happy that I would be getting rid of the leak. Anyway went to the shop today to do the swap and now I don't know what to do. Pulled the trans and Atlas and got them on the ground and realized the transmissions are not the same. The biggest difference is the original ZF-5 I received is 27 and 11/16" vs 29 and 1/4". I started doing some research and found out the original transmission I received is a 2wd ZF-5 converted to 4wd. I am not sure what to do at this point, everything that was fabricated was done based on this shorter transmission. I know for certain that this means the notch in my frame for the Atlas is in the wrong place and my new drive shafts are probably the wrong length. I also think that my shift tunnel that was fabricated is now probably in the wrong place and my new exhaust might be wrong now also. An inch and a half difference is going to throw everything off, I don't even see how BC Broncos can make this right after sending me the first abortion of a transmission. I will be contacting them as soon as they are open. Looking for advice, etc.

Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:35 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Problem with ZF-5 and BC Broncos
Wow, didn't even disclose they were sending you a converted 2wd is wrong. That said, the easy way forward is to have them send you another converted trans. Not ideal, but likely the only solution to getting it back together and driving without all new fab.

Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:19 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

That's the solution i'd aim for. For them to not catch or disclose that is significant and should be made right.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:20 pm

Man that sucks. I will just say good luck with BC broncos

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:41 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks guys! It took me a minute to figure out the difference in the transmissions. I will be calling them as soon as they are open and hoping for the best. I am just not happy at the moment, should be wheeling.

Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:48 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Did you already send the old one back? If not, maybe they will pay for you to find someone who can professionally weld it so it won't leak and throw in a gift card for your trouble...

I didn't know BC when Chuck was the one running it, but they seem to be a small fish at this point trying to play in a big pond. Whenever I've called for technical help on something I've bought from them- there only seems to be 1 person that can answer the question. If that means they only have one competent person working for them, it doesn't surprise me of all the bad press they've seem to have gotten the last few years in the Bronco Community. Good luck- the worst part is all the metal that you measured and can't go back and uncut/unnotch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:20 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:35 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sorry to hear of the issues. I too would be asking for a converted tranny of the same length.

As for dealing with BC's - I am sorry to hear that as well. I have spent some time with those guys when they moved their shop to TX. Chuck and the rest of the crew are great people, but it sounds like Jason may be in over his head at the moment?? Start with the honey vs the vinegar approach and I hope you get what you need in the end!

Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:03 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Called BC Broncos this morning and am now waiting to hear back from them as to a fix. I am going to add some information I learned so that maybe it helps someone in the future. Basically Jason told me when they can't find 4x4 ZF-5's their re-builder uses a 2wd ZF-5 and a diesel tail housing to make a 4x4 transmission. The big difference other than the webbing is the length, the converted trans is 27 and 13/16" while a regular 4x4 ZF-5 is 29.25", the difference is all in the tail housing. While I don't think I will mind the shorter trans in the long run they need to tell people what they are getting. Their manual even states the 29.25" length on the cover. I wish I had double checked everything and caught this before the original fabrication and install but I trusted that it was what they said it was when I purchased it. Back to waiting for a response.

Last edited by pgilbeau on Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:14 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wait, a shorter trans does work in your favor with an Atlas, right ? Score one for unintentional good consequences, now if they'll just make good on the replacement.

Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:50 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:14 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I think on the positive side the 2wd zf5 versions should be cheaper and easier to find shouldn't they?

Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:27 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:35 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Would the rear housing also be the same from a big block f250-f350 as well? I believe the zf has the same bolt pattern? Could be wrong of course, just trying to open up options, just in case.

Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:59 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:25 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Just got the word they will be sending out another replacement transmission. Hoping everything is right with this one!

Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:24 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Yeah, I hope the biggest issue now is just the delay of getting it back in!

Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:39 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:21 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mine has proven to be a tough tranny. I know it was dropped in straight out of a junkyard. Hard snow bashing caused it to pretty much loose reverse and grind into 3rd. I had it rebuilt somewhere around 2010 and it's been great since! So it just depends on how much you can handle the rig being down in the event of a failure, but I would imagine that spare will be collecting dust for a LONG time!

Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:36 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:41 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

What does the tag on the side of your tranny look like? I'm wondering what mine is for sure! I guess I should get the tape measure out.

Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:11 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:25 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Well got the 3rd transmission in and all seems fine except not having much pedal, going to have to spend some time bleeding it better this weekend.

Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:51 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I don't know what it is but they are difficult to bleed.

Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]