[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Power steering Q's
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Power steering Q's 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Power steering Q's
So I'm currently running a manual steering box. I'm wanting to go to power steering.
What all is going to be needed and what will need to be changed out. In order to accomplish this ?

This is what I have

Power steering pump
Power steering bracket
2 groove pulley's
Belt's

What I think is still needed

Steering box
Steering line's (pressure and return)

Am I missing anything and how hard is it to accomplish this ? A day project or more ?

Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:44 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Power steering Q's
IIRC, I think you have to replace the older one-piece steering shaft with a two-piece jobby. It took me a day and a half to do in my younger, dumber days (1998-ish). I think the worst part was figuring out how to take the one-piece shaft out without having to take the top off.

Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:20 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

running a stock EB box? I would consider the Saginaw/ canned ham pump with WTO mod & power steering cooler regardless. Should only take 30 minutes (famous last words, lol).

Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:00 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Which Bronco? If it's smaller tires, you should be fine with the stock pump, otherwise you might consider Ben's Saginaw suggestion. The other thing you'll probably have to do is reinforce the frame where the pump attaches. Not sure how thick of a plate you'll want to add- someone smarter than me can chime in. If you have everything and can pull the 1 piece steering shaft easily- a day should be plenty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:25 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:21 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Power steering Q's
I think mike meant reinforce the frame where the steering box sits. If you look at the vendors kit you can reproduce it with some 1/2" stock. The nice thing about the kit is it comes with sleeves so you don't squish the frame but you can make those too.

Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:57 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I may have a pump, pulley and cooler for ya.

Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:12 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Ok so what I have found out is that the factory pump will only work with a original Ford bronco steering box.
If I was to go to a signaw pump I will need to get a aftermarket Steering box. Also going this way is the pump bracket going to be different ?

Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:12 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Go with the Saginaw and the 4x4x2 box. You can pick up a bracket for the pump from WH or BC broncos. I bet someone here on CCB has a bracket and steering box... if you wanted to you could just pull a pump out of the JY, they were run on a ton of different models of chevy's and fords of various years.

Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:19 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:42 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The various pumps and boxes should play ok together with adapters or easy to source custom hoses. The pump bracket for the Saginaw is easily sourced from the vendors.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:49 am

Just buy the complete kit. This is what I was/am running. Had the Saginaw pump before and it worked great. Now running an explorer pump with no issues.

https://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/product ... bronco-new

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:24 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:03 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

my $.02 is stock ford pumps suck, but hey thats just me. The squeal and noise they produce, they sound like they are always laboring and sh!ty caps (so leaks). That being said, do they work, sure do. A Power steering pump is nothing more than a mini hydraulic system. You could technically run any pump you want with AN adapters and figuring out your mounting. I ran AN fittings and made hoses and routed to my liking versus "what the man says will work" #anarchy lol. Heck if was me to do over, I would run a remote reservoir system, but really its all in what you want/ taste. Stock vs Non stock. What the heck do I know, I dont even have a Bronco!!!!

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Power-Ste ... ,2072.html

Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]