[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - ZF 5 speed
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 ZF 5 speed 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post ZF 5 speed
So just taking an opinion pole. So for those of you that have the ZF do you think it was worth changing out your C4 or NP 435. Tell me what you think & what engine you are running.

Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:35 pm
Profile WWW
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: ZF 5 speed
Haven't done it yet, but have a ZF on my garage floor waiting to replace my NP435. Looking forward to having an overdrive gear.

Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:41 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

What Justin said. Not sure if it's truly worth it yet but I came by the transmission pretty cheap.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:44 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Absolutely worth it!

Switched from NP435 to ZF5 behind a 351W.

I can comfortably cruise at 75 MPH @2500 rpm and the 351 can still pull the hills without a problem. Additionally, the hydraulic clutch is more reliable than the old link setup.

Average 23.5 mpg, Best tank: 25.1 mpg

Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:21 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

That's what I was wondering. How much did your low range rock crawling change?

Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:08 am
Profile WWW
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Forgot what tire size & gear ratio are running?

Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:09 am
Profile WWW
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I had an NP435 in my old bronco with the original and VERY tired 302. I had 3.50's and 33's at the time. The NP435 was the only way I could crawl at a reasonable cost. That bronco is gone, but new one has a ZF5, 4.10's and 35's with a 351 EFI. As Digger said, it will cruise on the Interstate pretty easily. Mine is more of a trail rig and not so comfortable on the road, but...on smoother roads I have looked down to find myself going 70 without noticing.

IMO - the ZF5 is the best way to go for us who prefer the manual tranny! It offers a decent granny gear, and a great OD. If you need deep crawling gears, the best place for those is in the T-case. The axle ratios should match your highway cruising/tire size selection.

Just make sure you buy a quality master cylinder, not a chain parts store version. Perhaps a tranny rebuild shop is the best source.

Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:30 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Average 23.5 mpg, Best tank: 25.1 mpg

Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:45 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks guys that's the info I was hoping for some real world experience.

Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:10 pm
Profile WWW
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Had a np435 switched to zf. Was definitely worth all the trouble I went through. Low range differences are hardly noticeable.

Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:35 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I really like the ZF-5 in my Bronco, it is much better than the C-4 that I had. My set up is 37's, 4.88 gears, 3.8:1 Atlas, and a 302. I can cruise 70-75 mph on the highway with no problems and then put it in low range and crawl. On my trip to Moab mostly used 2nd to crawl, 1st can crawl up about anything but doesn't have enough wheel speed when you need it.

Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]