[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Mods to an original Sport
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Mods to an original Sport 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Mods to an original Sport
Alright guys, thanks to some members, I'm back in the game with a new project (s).

I purchased a 1970 Sport, nearly all original, that will be getting restored, mostly to factory. It has the Dana 30 front and small bearing limited slip (code A3) rear that came with the truck. I have access to a ’76 big bearing axle (code 03J) from my other Bronco. Both the ’70 and ’76 axles are 2780lbs, according to the VIN decoder online, though the gross for the ’70 is 3900lbs, while the gross for the ’76 is 4900lbs.

Here is the question. In my line of work, you don’t take an all-original vehicle and modify it if you can help it. After balancing resale, originality, and usability, do you think I’d be hurting the truck to swap in a Dana 44 with discs, the ’76 big bearing rear, 2.5” lift, 23 gallon tank, and an NV3550 transmission? In addition, with 31-32” tires, can I leave out a power steering kit, or will that hinder me when I get on a trail?

My gut tells me to do the swaps (without power steering), but figured I’d get some input from those who know better. The most aggressive trail I can imagine driving is Kingston Peak trail near the top of St Mary’s Glacier (the same trail that overlooks Loch Lomond near the Chinn’s Lake area ). It has one really rocky section that takes throttle control, but nothing crazy. For the most part, this will be a camping truck.

Thanks for any input.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:59 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Mods to an original Sport
that 76 looks familiar......

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:31 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:34 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The '76 is a good truck. Think I found the build sheet in the rear springs, but won't know without pulling some bolts. It will be sold once I decide what to do with the Sport. I hadn't planned on selling the '76, but the right deal came at the right time on the '70, so I'll have no choice.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:11 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:51 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I don't think swapping axles will matter much and I wouldn't hesitate to add power steering, you will want it on the trail. I would probably add power brakes to the list eventually as well.

If your not doing a factory restore and going for a "driver" the more friendly you make it to the common folk the more it will fetch. Just my two cents.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:11 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks, guys. You pretty much confirmed my thoughts.

I took a break from work and popped the "build sheet" out of the springs on the '76. If it was a build sheet, it WAS a build sheet. Not much left, and no legible writing or markings.

Guess I'll get to swapping the rear ends when time allows. Thanks again for your opinions, guys.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:36 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I don't think making changes mechanically that don't change the look of the Bronco will have any affect. The resto-Mod is super popular (think ICON). Adding a 44, disk brakes, power steering, etc. would only be noticed by purists. Adding 11 leaf springs, progressive coils and the like fall into the same category, it allows the consumer to enjoy the product better.

I'm sure you see it all the time in your shop. Folks want some nice "upgrades" without taking away the spirit of the vehicle.

All that said, I would love to come watch you work on the Bronco just to learn from someone who does awesome work. :) Even being just a fly on the wall would make me regret some of the work I've done on my own I'm sure.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:03 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

In agreement with the others and the mods you speak can be reversed if there was ever a need. If I were to have a second cruiser bronco, I'd go as far as EFI, good tranny, power brakes and steering and modern suspension springs.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]