[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Crawlercreations 60-9 front axle and $$$$$$ build
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Crawlercreations 60-9 front axle and $$$$$$ build 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Crawlercreations 60-9 front axle and $$$$$$ build
I have officially started building my new front axle. I'm sure many of you know what this is already but for those that don't; this is a hybrid axle built with a ford 9" center section and Dana 60 axle shafts, inner Cs(where the ball joints attach to the housing) and Dana 60 knuckles, spindles and hubs.

I am using a spidertrax pro 9" housing with chromoly center section and heat treated tubes. I have Cs and knuckles from a '96 Dana 60. The knuckles have been machined, drilled and tapped for high steer arms. They came with 1 high steer arm and I have metal coming to build the second arm. I've installed new ball joints in them and have all new bearings and seals. I want to re use my current wheels and tires for the time being so I've machined down the o.d. of the huge Dana 60 hubs and redrilled them to the correct lug pattern. I'll be adding a ton of pictures so this will be several posts long.

Housing as I bought it. It was mis cut so I got it really cheap.
20160928_105602.jpg

The axle Cs.

20170929_122711.jpg

Some of the machine work on the Dana 60 hubs.

20171109_120009.jpg

More machine work on the hubs.

20171121_155849.jpg

Axle shaft comparisons between chromoly Dana 44 shafts and the new Dana 60 chromoly shafts.

20171114_103329.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by crawlercreations on Thu May 24, 2018 8:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:10 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Crawlercreations 60-9 front axle build thread
Along with building this 60-9 I'll be building a fabricated housing 35 spline rear axle, extending the wheelbase, 3 or 4 linking the front, changing the rear 4 link and installing coilovers front and rear. A bit of a big change. Later on I'll be getting an atlas transfer case and 40s.

More of the goodies.

20171115_100432.jpg

Second housing. Black Friday deal.

20171128_102024.jpg

Yukon hardcore hubs. Really low profile and the strongest you can get without going drive slugs.

20171217_133538.jpg

New wheels for the eventual 40s.

20171218_083251.jpg

Rebuilt fox hydro bumps. Got them cheap.

20171218_132028.jpg

I started getting a little crazy at this point. Decided to really build it once and right. True hi9.

20180105_135530.jpg

Full hydro steering with upgraded ram and Artec ram mount.

20180108_172400.jpg

Wilwood brake calipers and cross drilled and slotted rotors for fun. These calipers fit the Chevy conversion brakes if anyone is looking to upgrade their brakes. Bolt on deal.

20180118_154707.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:24 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Currie 35 spline rear axle shafts.

20180118_161101.jpg

Fox coilovers. 14" for the front and 16" for the rear.

20180122_104609.jpg

Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:27 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Now that most of the goodies are accounted for I can actually post a little of the work I've started on.

Housing cut to the right width.

20180122_145113.jpg

Internally sleeved and welded up where it was cut before I purchased it.

20180122_160257.jpg

And the Cs attached.

20180122_170412.jpg

I've only gone a single pass on the C welding. I'll give it another pass tomorrow and weld up the ends as well. The rest is basically assembling it so I can get the ram in position and weld the ram mount on. I'll be attaching the lower link mounts as well before I start installing it in my Bronco.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:34 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wow. That's going to be a helluva setup. Wanna see this out playing in the rocks again.

Spiritual owner of the now Zoso mobile (1974 Bronco Ranger - EFI 351W-4R70W-ARB front and rear-STC softtop- High Country hood-3 1/2" WH lift- Cross inboard rear shock mnt- Duffs bumpers- Warn 8274- 33's- Cheby disc conversion)

Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:48 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

That is going to be awesome !

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:35 am

Man that some collection of parts! I will be following this thread thumbs up

Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:52 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

NICE!!!!

Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:49 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Oh man -- what a great thread!! anxious to see it progress!

Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:18 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Crawlercreations 60-9 front axle build thread
Sub’d, very cool upgrade! Can you send me the shop info that did the machine work on the D60 Cs & hubs, I need some similar work done.

Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:14 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:00 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Gotcha, thanks.

Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:37 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Man! So much awesome!!

What caster angle are you running? This is on my bucket list! I wish I could be your apprentice thru this process!

Did you have to modify the wheels to fit over the D60 hubs or was all the machining on the hubs?

Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:16 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:06 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I didn't have much time to work on it today. Got the Cs fully welded and the ram mount fit. I think the ram mount is rotated a little high but that's an easy adjustment.

Welded Cs.

20180123_091626.jpg

Ram mount initial fit up.

20180123_164812.jpg

20180123_164819.jpg

Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:09 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Did you do any pre-heating of the cast iron parts? A lot of fab and welding sites discuss it, but I’m not sure of the circumstances were it’s beneficial.

Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:13 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:35 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Not a lot to update. It is close to done and ready to install. The ram mount is in positon and fully welded up. Ram is test fit and tie rods are built. I'll fully assemble the axle on the bench and see about putting on the lower link mounts now or when I install it. I'm really happy with how it's turning out.

Second high steer/ double sheer arm built

20180128_115248.jpg

Front view with ram installed

20180128_123503.jpg

Penetration

20180128_160124.jpg

Fully welded and braced

20180128_163210.jpg

Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:36 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

More awesomeness!

Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:53 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

It is assembled! One little thing needs attention that I'll address but otherwise it was as expected and assembled just like any other front axle. Now I'm really anxious to get it installed!

Front view
20180129_100221.jpg

Who doesn't like penetration??
20180129_100228.jpg

Brakes
20180129_100243.jpg

Back view
20180129_100251.jpg

Wide view
20180129_100437.jpg

Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:12 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

All I have to say is.....beefy.

Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:38 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

What about a birds eye view? Do you already have a hydraulic supply? Envious for sure. This is what I've wanted to do for a long time.

Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:13 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

It looks great, I like the double shear mounting on the ram to knuckles.

Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:13 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:40 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:41 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Your ram alignment front to back is great. But sounds like you need a little up and down. I've seen less aligned stuff work just fine.

Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:55 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:08 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

What do you think the full setup weighs?

Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:14 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:23 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 148 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next