[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Crawlercreations 60-9 front axle and $$$$$$ build
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Crawlercreations 60-9 front axle and $$$$$$ build 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Crawlercreations 60-9 front axle build thread
How would that compare to a D60 you might find under a superduty or something?

Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:37 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:47 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Nice, so you've got the strength while saving yourself some weight. What pinion yoke size are you running?

Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:44 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:13 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks for posting this up. I've thought about different hybrid axles for a while now. I have a couple questions.

First, a set of Rock Assault 9" housings are available for sale in Reno, and I thought about buying them. I have a set of 96ish Ford ball joint 60 outers, but they are still in storage in CO, so I can't check measurements. The 9" housings are 3.5" tubes, and from what I read these BJ Ford 60 tubes are just over 3". Is this correct? I'd hate to buy a 3.5" housing and find out my stuff wouldn't fit it.

Also, did you use a jig or something else to prevent the housing from warping during welding?

Thanks

Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:56 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:33 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks for the info. Glad to hear the housing didn't warp. Gives me some confidence to do it myself someday, instead of having it done.

I cut up a bent 96? Ford D60 for my parts. I just wish I could be sure they were 3.5". I trust you are right, but the project wouldn't be for a while. Running the risk to save a little isn't worth it, right now.

Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:38 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I contemplated a Jana 54, and I may still do that, but I would love to get in Hi9 for the rear in a new housing!

If I were building a buggy, I think I'd go with a portal setup of some sort based on the Ford 9". But what you just built would be second in line if portals didn't make sense.

Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:00 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:15 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:42 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I am planning to install this starting on the 15th this month! It should be fairly smooth and quick.

Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:11 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:15 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:59 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks,

I knew the 60 axles wouldn't fit through the 44 knuckles.

The 35 spline Ox would fit without the Jana kit, its for a 44. But I'm assuming the bearing issue is a killer. Also, if 50 gears won't hold up to the 60 axles then 44 gears certainly won't. There is one point on a 50 pinion that is the same diameter as a 44 pinion, I just can't remember the details, it's been too long since I was doing the reading. There is a 35 spline ARB D50 locker that can be used to build a Jana 654.

http://www.ox-usa.com/dana-44/445-dana-44.html

Seems to me, I should just forget the 654 or an Ox locked 44 with 60 outers/axles. And save the money and effort for a 60-9. I didn't realize the 9 was better clearance than a 44, so that would be better even if I stick with 37s.

What are your thoughts on the 'other' HP 9", that runs reverse cut 8.8 gears (I forget the name right now)? Would it be enough? I know it's cheaper than a True Hi-9.

edit: it looks like I was thinking of the Currie HP 9", but they no longer make the case.

Thanks

Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:26 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:55 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:46 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Ahh, I had forgotten about the Hi-9 in a rear application does run on the weaker side of the gears. Hmm, not a option then at this point. Being that the housing is symmetrical, surely someone could mirror a design to the other side to correct this? Or am I not thinking correctly?

Thinking out loud, a portal would make the most sense in the rear as that is where I get hung up 99% of the time being a non-steer axle. But I wonder how close you could get the gearing to a non-portal axle... I do think suspension-wise, it wouldn't be too hard in the rear, especially if you 4-linked or at least ran longer leaf springs.

With 35's and Chromo's I have not had any D44 issues in a while (aside from the chronic oil leak). But I too want to upsize the tires to at least 37's. If I start breaking things at that point, I will have to see what makes the most sense. Perhaps trussing this HP44, a full locker and running RCV's would be good enough.

Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:24 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Picked up a "little" something to help install the axle with the proper clearances for where I'll end up.

20180211_134441.jpg

20180211_134454.jpg

20180211_124939.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:08 pm

I would have expected nothing less thumbs up so will you have a set of street tires or is it trailer only?

Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:42 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:49 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I've never seen a new Trep in person, but wow, that is some tread!!! So now to find 3 more...

Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:00 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

This happened today. I really liked the idea of stickies but I just know I'll be driving my Bronco on the street still and I can't handle the idea of 1000 miles out of a set of (expensive) tires. These should give me a nice balance of street and crawling. Plus side is they're actually a bit bigger than the trepador! Uninflated they're a solid 1.5 inch bigger. Inflated I'd expect 2 inches or so. So, not sticky, but bigger and dual purpose. Should be good!

20180213_140742.jpg

20180213_145317.jpg

20180213_161547.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:10 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

That'll make a huge difference! So the trep is a spare now?

Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:42 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:56 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

This happened yesterday...

20180214_170045.jpg

On to install now!

Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:29 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Blank slates are the best.

Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:37 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:46 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

those rocks don’t stand a chance

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:51 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Things are progressing nicely! Still a fair amount of work to do but cycling the suspension feels like a big step! My calculator numbers came out pretty nice, let's just hope it translates well to the real world!

20180216_170722.jpg

20180216_174105.jpg

20180216_174115.jpg

Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:33 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

How long are your links and can you send me a picture of the frame mount? Looks very tucked up in there!!

Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next