[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Backpacking
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 2:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Backpacking 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Backpacking
Looking for a couple of places to take my 10 year old son backpacking this summer. Good fishing (creek or lake) is a massive plus. Any suggestions?

Tue May 22, 2018 6:21 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Backpacking
Payne creek. I don't know about the fishing but the hike is pretty amazing. Not terribly traveled so it's more relaxing for the introvert types. About 9 miles in is a very nice camping area. It meets up with the Colorado trail right about there as well.

Tue May 22, 2018 6:35 pm
VENDOR
VENDOR

Upper Sand Creek Lakes in the Sangre De Cristos, just south of Westcliffe Colorado. A good hike in and great fishing. We did 2 nights. My son was 10 when we went and he caught an 18" cutthroat trout on a Kastmaster. Lots of creeks to fish as well and there were some big fish.

Tue May 22, 2018 11:02 pm
Profile WWW
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Backpacking
This trail was a fun 2 night backpacking trip that had 3 areas to fish along the way. It’s a pretty spectacular end between Mt. Evans and Mt. Bierstadt.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsin ... 20Trail%20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wed May 23, 2018 12:00 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Cloysey Lake. West of Clear Creek. Great wheeling, camp at the lake which is a wilderness area and the kid can fish and or you can pack all the way in from the Cty Rd or wheel part of the way and pack the last few miles or what ever.

Killed my Mtn Goat up on the Apostles south of the lake.

Canon City, Co

Thu May 24, 2018 1:23 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Rainbow Lake in the Mt. Zirkel wilderness (northwest of Walden) - 8 mile hike in, not overly difficult, good fishing for native / wild fish and you will probably not see another soul once you cross into wilderness.

If you are really feeling your oats and adventurous, keep going up to the upper lakes, they make really nice day hikes as well.

This hike, as with most high country trips, are most suited for July - September. Any earlier and you may be trekking through a lot of snow in places.

Earlier trips will need to be lower elevation. Lost Creek wilderness has some nice hikes and plenty of beaver ponds and streams for brookies. You could probably access much of it now. When I was in high school, my buddies and I used to park the car and start hiking up whatever stream we came across in that area, sleeping under the stars and fishing or hunting small game for much of our grub.

If you are the smartest person in the room -
You are in the wrong room

Fri May 25, 2018 1:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]