[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Rear Tire Carrier Hardware
It is currently Fri Jun 07, 2024 5:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
 Rear Tire Carrier Hardware 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Rear Tire Carrier Hardware
I know a few guys are planning to build Rear Bumpers and Tire Carriers. Here are a few links I found for the Hardware:

http://www.emsoffroad.com/store/index.p ... x&cPath=78

http://www.rockstomper.com/catalog/pieces/hinge.htm

May help get you started on the Hardware Side. Cory's actual locking hub is cool as heck. If you guys put a build together, I would like to come help.

Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:54 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Rear Tire Carrier Hardware
After seeing some of your handy work Zilla and the combined know-how of the crew this past Saturday I have no doubt we could build something like this, for my EB. Maybe this would be a good tech class for after X-mas. That would give me time to get the parts and material together, if you or Zinder is willing to host. Welding

Obviously the beer and grub is on me and I wont show up like I am dressed for Church this time. laughing2

Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:42 pm
Profile WWW
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

1973 Stroppe Baja project

Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:41 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

i've also got two left over dana 30's and enough parts to do 2 swing outs if anybody wants the same setup that i built

75' bronco, 302, carb'd for now, i'm gathering parts for efi, 3g alternator, saginaw pump, 4x4x2 box, fw hp44, fw 9", N.P. 435 w/ gearbanger shifter, twin stick'd dana 20, 2" BL, 5.5" wildhorses lift, and 35" km2's

Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:31 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Cory, I just dig the way you used the hub for your lock up! I never would have thought of that

Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:13 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I know Brianut was looking for used hubs, I think he was going to build a similar setup.

Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:39 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:14 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Ok, here is my offer:

It seems as though many of us would like to build our own rear bumper tire carrier set up (yes that includes us). I have plenty of shop space, many of the tools required. How about a weekend tech class (probably both Saturday and Sunday) on designing and building one?

Someone who has built one can provide a parts list. I will make sure the tank is filled, I have air tools, grinders and 3 different welders (wire feed, gas and arc - make that 4 welders but one is seriously LOUD). What I do not have is a set of torches or a plazma cutter (though I could probably get one) or a tube bender. I do have a cut off saw and sawz-alls. Both the torches and tubing bender have been on "the list" for a long time. If we can come up with a design and plan a date, I will look into one or both...

I suggest sometime in January or Febuary when we will really appreciate the heated shop instead of a garage.

Thoughts?

If you are the smartest person in the room -
You are in the wrong room

Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:56 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Great idea. The idea of working in a climate controled shop is very attractive. Since I haven't worked on my Bronco since it got cold, it may get me off my rear.

I found out from my contact in Utah that the ProtoFab Plate Style Bumper with Tire Carrier are going to be $400.00. I can pick them up at Christmas time in Utah (for Free) and bring them back to the group. However, if there is some margin in the materials and labor, then building them yourselves is a great idea.

I think Cory stated it would be approx. $200.00 in Materials. Not sure if that includes the Locking Hardware and Hinge that will run in the $100+ Range.

If anyone wants them professionally built from Matt in Utah, let me know and I will get it set-up with Matt in Utah.

Count me in for hanging out with the group but not building a bumper. smokin

Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:31 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I can bring a tubing bender, 2 inch die, but we'll have to mount it to the floor w/lags.

Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:01 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I can bring my oxy torch set up if I can find my smaller tips

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:09 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:42 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:10 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Here's another idea....what if we used the tech session to come up with the hardware and design? We come up with exactly what we want, then we use someone like Entourage's buddy to produce them?

Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:18 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Matt makes custom designs. Sketch the design your own bumper, get him the specs, and it shall be done - a complete one-off custom design. You can add receiver hitch, D-Rings, Jack points, license plate mount, body lift adj., Hi-lift Mount, etc. I wanted the Tire mount to go full width of Bronco so I could add Fuel Can or Cooler Carrier in the extra space later - he said no problem.

Matt uses a plasma cutter and a high-end welders at the Fab Shop where he works while an engineering student at BYU. He coats the finished product with a PPG product as well.

He has done multiple EB bumpers and would not be a test case scenerio. If you look at the pics in the Vendor Area, it is evident that it is not his first Rodeo - he can to tapers, side step returns, angles, etc. just like the big guys.

I am not his salesman nor do I get a cut of the sale. I came across him on KSL Classifieds and I liked his story, from Utah/Idaho, going to BYU, great products, a fellow EB guy, custom design, and amazing pricing. I will picking up any CCB orders at Christmas because I am bringing back my Family Cage and Bumpers anyway, so not a big deal to bring a few more items back to Colorado.

Matt's Email Address is: mattblaser2@gmail.com - if you have any further questions, just let him know you are with CCB. If you want me to pick it up from Utah, I will be there after Christmas, so order would need to be placed in the next little while.

The KSL Classified Bumper link is:
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=12671928&cat=&lpid=&search=early bronco

The KSL Classified Suspension/Steering link is:
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=12672190&cat=&lpid=&search=early bronco

I will post a few more pics when I get them. I am also waiting for a reply on the type of hardware and type of latch/lock system he uses. I will keep you guys updated on what I find out.

Whatever way you decide to go with bumpers, we will be looking sharp with our new bumpers and can say good-bye rattling factory tire carriers, weight on rear quarter panel, and mount a 35"+ spare tire! smokin

Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:06 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

sorry it took so long to get back, been busy with work, but i believe i have enough parts to do 2 swing outs, maybe three, you need the outer stub axle shaft, the spindle, wheel bearings, hub, and the lockout, you weld the stub axle to the bumper solid, and the spindle to the bumper, then you cut the wheel mounting flange off of the hub and smooth it, i could have done a better job on smoothing mine but was short on time and built the whole bumper from scrap metal that i had to repair some spots on in aboutn 6-7 hours when i was low on workload when i worked at predator 4wheeldrive here in town, i'll try to get some pictures up this week, and if you'd like to do a tech class i'd love to help, but because of finances cannot until after the holidays, so if it could wait till then i will be there, if anyone has a miller, lincoln, or even hobart 220v gas welder that would be prefered, but if 110v is the only option that will work too.

75' bronco, 302, carb'd for now, i'm gathering parts for efi, 3g alternator, saginaw pump, 4x4x2 box, fw hp44, fw 9", N.P. 435 w/ gearbanger shifter, twin stick'd dana 20, 2" BL, 5.5" wildhorses lift, and 35" km2's

Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:46 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:50 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

75bronc,

Sounds like you are the one to be the leader of this class, I will host and as far as welders - I have a lincon Ranger 8 Gas powered arc welder (220, 110, both, what ever), Bobcat gas welder (110) lincoln wire feed (110) and another old (as in ancient) arc stick arch welder (220).

Other equipment I have include drills, grinders, sanders, vice, work bench, drill press, typical air tools (but no cut off tool or air chisel- that will need to change soon) hammer drills, cut off saw.....

And in many cases I have multiples.

I agree, after the new year, with freinds and family obligations, work etc, this time of year is to busy to block out an entire day for a build like this.

Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:44 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I've seen a complete Dana 30 on CL now for a few months. Guy was asking 200 for it originally, now has dropped to 150. Maybe I can get him to sell for 100 then gut it for spare parts and use the hubs and what not?

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

1973 Stroppe Baja project

Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:14 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Count me in on both the bumper and windshield. I gave away a perfectly good Dana30 last spring just to clean out my garage...wish I had known about the hub thing. I'll see if my brother inlaw has any laying around. How about trying it for the end of January. That way we can rally the supplies after the holiday and get set-up for a weekend build class.

Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:37 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:03 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

that should work for me, either the end of january or sometime in febuary, i'd like to be buying my 35" km2's, gears and lockers, and the material to build my front bumper, dan(zillacon) don't you have a 220v gas mig, thats my preference to build bumpers with, but as i stated 110 works fine as well, i prefer mig or tig as im not as experienced with stick, i know mig extremely well, and im fair with tig but haven't done it in a couple years?

Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]