[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Spark Plug Q
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 11:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Spark Plug Q 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Spark Plug Q
Getting the Bronco ready for wheeling season, so I am changing the plugs. On the left are the Motorcraft plugs that are in there, and on the right are the Champion Iridium plugs I bought as a replacement.

Why is the firing tip/igniter on the Champion so much smaller? Is that ok? I’m running a ‘93 5.0 w/Mustang EFI if it matters.

ImageImage

Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:31 am

Post Re: Spark Plug Q
New plugs are too long. Bet they will either hit the vales or pistons. But that is what the iridium look like. They work really well and last a long time. Since they are conical seat the threaded body is too long. That's why they'll hit.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:51 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

What Rob said

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:48 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:21 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Here’s what got me perplexed. I went to my spare parts box I had put together for Baja, and forgot I had purchased a set of NKG plugs. Take a look..threads are the same length as the other new ones. So the quest is, are the new ones correct and the old ones incorrect? Shorter threaded plugs like the ones I took out would still fire the cylinder, correct?Image

Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:45 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Hey Scott so 1993 5.0 should use a Motor craft ASF4CA plug. stay away from champion plugs for your application they don't work well. Also platinum and Iiridium plugs don't perform well with older ignition systems. Both the champion and NGK plug look to have to long of a reach.

Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:50 pm
Profile WWW
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Ok I’ll go grab a set of those. Thanks much!

Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:53 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Spark Plug Q

Last edited by ScottBarnes on Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:07 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

That is a Motorcraft # if you can't find them happy to get some and send them to you copper core no platinum.

Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:19 pm
Profile WWW
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The parts house probably only has the Champion that's why they are pushing you in that direction. I've not had good luck or performance out of champion products.

Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:23 pm
Profile WWW
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I don't why I typed Champion earlier..I didn't mean to.. I was searching for Motorcraft asf4ca and got no hits on google. Went to Ford site and that's where I found the Motorcraft SP450A as OE replacement. Autozone, O'reilly and Advance Auto sites show the same (SP450A) for copper Motorcraft plugs for the '93 Mustang w/5.0. Dang..they're just spark plugs! why is everything such a pita on this Bronco? LOL

Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:31 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Spark Plug Q
NAPA shows an Autolite ASP 764 as an OE replacement, its Copper Core. The picture they show looks to be the shorter thread depth, you’d have to swing by and check the thread depth. They also show some plugs that appear to insert into the cylinder deeper as an alternative. I’m fairly sure the 5.0 is a “non-interference” design, so you could run an alternative plug, but if you don’t have a reason to switch I wouldn’t.

From your picture, the plug type looks like it’s performing well.

Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:33 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Well, you won’t get results searching for ASF42CA, but there it is stamped on the plug and the box. All websites and parts stores know them as SP-450A. Weird. Thanks for the help and info! ImageImage

Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:21 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Looks like you got the right plug. I'm assuming the reach on the plug is the shorter version.

Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:31 pm
Profile WWW
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]