[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - How to remove transmission
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 12:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ] 
 How to remove transmission 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post How to remove transmission
Yesterday I noticed my 72 was revving high as I was driving in 3rd gear. Figure it's time to replace the clutch. I had plans on camping and hitting some trails on memorial day weekend so I want to get moving on this.

I was searching this forum for any tips or instructions. Does anyone know of a good resource? I've done all of my own work in the past 8 years that I've had my bronco but this one has me a little overwhelmed and limited online resources from what I can find.

Also I live in Centennial/Aurora area so if anyone is interested in coaching, I'd be happy to get the smoker going and hook anyone up with some ribs and beer. Or whatever. Ha ha. Just a little bribe.

Thanks,
Mark

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Sun May 05, 2019 7:28 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: How to remove transmission
Assuming you have the stock 3 speed? If so, it's not super difficult. Pull the transmission and the transfer case as a unit. That's the hard part cause it's heavy and awkward. A good transmission jack is worth it's weight for this. It can be done with two regular jacks but I like the tranny jack to balance it all on.

Get everything but the cross member unbolted then you really only need an extra set of hands for lowering it. Push it back out of the way, put in the new clutch (remember to resurface the flywheel or get a new one), then lift the combo back in place.

Hope this helps get you started.

Sent from my Venue 8 7840 using Tapatalk

Sun May 05, 2019 8:45 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The generic procedure for 4x4 transmission removal goes something like this:

1. Remove driveshafts, clutch linkage (or hydraulic lines), speedo cable, transfercase linkage and transmission shifter
2. Remove exhaust (if necessary, most are in the way somehow)
3. Support transmission and remove crossmember (use transmission jack)
4. Slightly lower transmission and remove the 6 bellhousing bolts.
5. Wiggle transmission and t-case free. Keep the transmission as square to the engine as possible to prevent input shaft damage.
6. Carefully lower transmission out of the way. WARNING, these things are heavy and awkward when you are laying on your back. They have a tendency to shift at the wrong time. Strap it down to the transmission jack.
7. With transmission out of the way, remove clutch, resurface flywheel or replace, replace throwout and pilot bearings. (DO NOT reuse throwout or pilot bearings. Murphy guarantees they will fail soon after and you will be pulling the trans again). Removal of the pilot bearing may require a small slide hammer.
8. Install new flywheel, torquing crank bolts to mfg's torque spec.
9. Install new clutch, using supplied alignment tool before tightening.
10. Lift and position transmission for installation. You want to make sure the bellhousing faces are parallel top-to-bottom and side-to-side. If it is not lined up, it will not go. PRO-TIP: put the transmission in the highest gear. As you bring the transmission and engine together, the input splines will connect and if they are not lined up, they will not go. By hand wiggle the transmission (or t-case) output back and forth as you push forward on the transmission. You will feel it when the two slip together. Ideally, you should be able to put the bellhousing faces together all the way. Sometimes there might be a small gap (1/8") that you can close by tightening the bell housing bolts. DO NOT try to draw them together will longer bolts. If you cant get them close enough to use the factory bolts, something is hanging up.
11. With the transmission back in place, reverse steps 4-1.

Average 23.5 mpg, Best tank: 25.1 mpg

Sun May 05, 2019 4:46 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sun May 05, 2019 5:40 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I had to bench press mine. Good thing I was young. Now I’m not sure I can do it.

Sun May 05, 2019 9:24 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Hit me up though if you need help. Sounds like I’m not too far from you.

Sun May 05, 2019 9:25 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon May 06, 2019 5:47 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon May 06, 2019 5:50 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon May 06, 2019 7:03 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Luk is a good brand. You wouldn't have any issues there.

Other than being awkward and heavy, there it's much to it. Going back in and making sure everything is aligned can be challenging, but patience and finesse will prevail.

Mon May 06, 2019 1:25 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Average 23.5 mpg, Best tank: 25.1 mpg

Mon May 06, 2019 2:30 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

20190505_120816-01.jpegDoes it look like I have a rear transmission seal leak? Anything else I should plan on replacing while I'm in there?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed May 08, 2019 4:31 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Quick question - also thanks B.O.B. for helping me to take out my transmission. I'm going to try to put it back in but take off the transfer case first. The trans jack was too wide to get past my exhaust pipes.

Quick question about the clutch, though. The reason why I needed to remove transmission is so that I can change the clutch. Is it as simple as removing the 5 bolts on the flywheel to get that off? Or is there more to it? There are a ton of videos online but not really specific to Early Bronco and seeing all sorts of different methods.

Thanks,
Mark

Tue May 14, 2019 10:09 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Yes and no, those bolts hold the pressure plate in place, the clutch is sandwiched between the pressure plate and fly wheel so it’ll drop out when you pull the pressure plate. Do yourself a favor and just loosen all the bolts first, then take them all out except for the top most bolt, you can then pull the clutch down and then the last bolt to let the pressure plate down.

Questions for you.
Are you going to get the flywheel resurfaced/machined or are you replacing it?
Do you have the kit that includes the installation tool that centers the clutch when you attempt to reinstall everything?

Also there is a pilot bushing (old style) or bearing (new style) installed in the end of crank that is press fit, or at least should be unless it’s in bad shape and you should have a new one in the kit. Removing that isn’t too bad with the proper technique. Search online for a video and you’ll see some options for removing it, usually involving wet newspaper or heavy axle grease. Of course there is a puller that could likely be rented as well, your call if you want to use the garage mechanic method or more pro level.

Tue May 14, 2019 3:30 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue May 14, 2019 3:36 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue May 14, 2019 7:18 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Couple more questions...
1. After the transmission was out, I found this broken wire. Any ideas what this is? Concerning?

2. Based off the other photos here, it's obvious that I've got some leaking. Any idea what seal or gaskets should be replaced?

Thanks again for all the helpImageImageImage

Wed May 15, 2019 6:00 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I really have no idea, but that could be a reverse light or something. I have a C4 and I dont remember any electrical going to it. Mt reverse lights and neutral safety switch and now in my Shifter. Of course yours is different being a 3 spd.

1974 Ford Bronco 3 1/2 inch James Duff lift ,2 inch body lift, 351w Explorer EFI, Viper built c4, Viper built Dana 20 with wildhorses twin stick, Kinder built Dana 44 with 4.56 gears disc brakes aussie locker and knuckle over conversion, Kinder built 9 inch with grizzly locker 31 spline axles and 4.56 gear

Wed May 15, 2019 6:46 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed May 15, 2019 6:58 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Others with more knowledge will be better help, but I would bet there is a seal kit available for both the tranny and t-case that would come with all gaskets and seals needed to seal them back up.

Wed May 15, 2019 7:59 am

With the way the engine looks id bet the engine leaks more than the trans.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Wed May 15, 2019 8:29 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed May 15, 2019 9:58 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

..and you learn something every day too!! Cool!

Wed May 15, 2019 10:50 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Having zero luck getting the trans back in. The fact that the transfer case is still attached is messing me up I think.

If I remove the transfer case and reinstall the transmission on it's own, is it going to be a pain trying to get the transfer case back on? Are there gaskets I'll need to replace?

Sorry for amateur questions, just never done this before.

Wed May 22, 2019 9:32 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You can separate the two. There will be seals on the shaft of the tranny output and tcase input. So it should be dry between the two unless they are leaking and now would be a good time to know.

Thu May 23, 2019 8:38 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Patience and Finesse prevailed. Well actually it was more like me going into a rage and shaking and twisting the transmission violently with my hands before the spindle finally popped into the bushing. I wouldn't say I did it with patience OR finesse ha ha. Image

Thu May 23, 2019 10:12 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

This is how it usually goes..........glad you got it to go together !

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Sat May 25, 2019 7:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]