[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Riddle me this: Napa's confused about my clutch/flywheel
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 10:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Riddle me this: Napa's confused about my clutch/flywheel 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Riddle me this: Napa's confused about my clutch/flywheel
Per my other post about pulling my transmission (to change out my clutch)...

I dropped off my flywheel and got a call back, the guy at Napa is perplexed. Here's what he told me:

1. Flywheel is not serviceable. The starter is hitting it too deep. It's hitting the flywheel itself and not just the teeth.
2. His catalog shows that the small block calls for an 11" clutch, but the wear patters seems like I have a 10" clutch installed. That said, the flywheel that I dropped off is a 164 tooth flywheel.
3. Given the damage that the starter is putting on the flywheel makes him suspect it really needs a 157 tooth / 10 inch clutch, but that goes against what the catalog suggests.

So he's confused and I personally have no idea. I did notice that my new clutch which I ordered from them looks larger, but I haven't had a chance to measure it yet. Maybe I had a 10" clutch on a 164 tooth flywheel? Is this possible? And does that even relate to the damage that the starter has put on the flywheel?

Not sure what I need to do. Insights appreciated.

Wed May 15, 2019 3:24 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Riddle me this: Napa's confused about my clutch/flywheel
Pics

New on the right

New on the left

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Wed May 15, 2019 3:43 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

They don't make the 10" clutch anymore. But it sounds like it has already been swapped over to the 11" at some point.

Might just need a later Starter to work better.

Hopefully Viper will chime in for you as I know he's answered this on the national board.

Adam

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Wed May 15, 2019 3:48 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks. If it matters, I did replace the starter a few years ago. Any chance I installed the wrong starter? I just ordered it from the local parts store and trusted that they gave me the right one. (?)

Wed May 15, 2019 3:50 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed May 15, 2019 3:52 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You should have an 11" clutch and 164 tooth flywheel. All V8 Broncos had that with a manual trans. A manual starter is a manual starter. No difference for different size flywheels. The bell housing and block plate have different starter bolt holes that move the starter inward on the 157 tooth stuff. If you had any one of these parts it would not bolt together and the starter could not engage the ring gear.

I'd like to see a pic of the starter wear on the ring gear.

Wed May 15, 2019 4:15 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Turns out there was no damage to my flywheel from the starter. Talked to a different guy at Napa who said he has no idea what the first guy was talking about. However my flywheel was still not serviceable, so I got a new one.

Sun May 19, 2019 9:06 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Basically

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue May 21, 2019 1:46 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue May 21, 2019 2:43 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Oh, and I need some of that blinker fluid that's on sale!

Thu May 23, 2019 8:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]