[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Did I somehow break my transmission?
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 10:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Did I somehow break my transmission? 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Did I somehow break my transmission?
I just replaced the clutch in my 72 Bronco, was excited to take it for a drive, felt like I got the James Duff floor shifter all worked out.

To my surprise, I could only drive in 1st gear. Shifter didn't seem to be working properly even though I had it set up identical to James Duff's own demo video.

First gear - no problem, engages perfectly.

Reverse - suddenly cant get it to engage at all.

Second gear - I managed to get it into 2nd gear by getting under the car and putting it there by hand.

Third gear - I feel like it just won't go all the way into third. I get grinding.

So summary:

1: good

R: can't get it to go into R

2: Seems to work

3: grinding

Any transmission guys out there with any ideas? It was all working fine before I removed the transmission.

While it was out, I cleaned it and rolled it over a few times to get all sides.

It never took any major falls off the trans jack. It kind of rolled off and bumped the ground a few times as I was trying to strap it. But that's it.

I'm terrified that I somehow broke the trans.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:49 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Did I somehow break my transmission?
Update - this is weird and I'm exposing my obvious non-understanding of how the clutch and transmission work...

This morning I got underneath the Bronco and with my hand I could move both 1-N-R and back as well as 2-N-3 and back.

I shortened the adjuster rod and again by hand I put it in 2nd and started it up and the clutch seemed engaged, and despite putting my foot on the clutch, the bronco started to drive forward. I considered this a victory.

But then I immediately turned off the engine, went back underneath and tried to change the gear by hand again. Now it feels locked and I cab't move it at all!

Really confused.

Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:37 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sounds like you need to adjust the shifter. You probably changed the length of the rods.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErcSjrxB3J4

Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:28 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fixed - this was all so helpful . Thanks!

Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]