[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - braided hose & an fittings for power steering
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 braided hose & an fittings for power steering 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post braided hose & an fittings for power steering
This is an FYI for anyone considering making your own power steering hoses with braided hose & an fittings.

I saw a post on FB where someone made their hoses from Summit 8an braided stainless PTFE hose and steel an fittings. His line blew out 3x before the post. Turns out this type of line is not adequate for the pressure and heat of a hydraulic system. It can be used for return side though.

I wrote anfittingsdirect.com for the specs on their hoses, since I've built my own lines with their products. Well it turns out they don't recommend it. I've included their response below.

I don't know why I thought I should use this stuff. But I guess I'll go to a hydraulic shop and have some made. I have some fairly expensive templates for them to copy.

Live and learn.

"Thank you for your inquiry. Please see the information below, provided directly from the website:

Pressure Rating: 800 PSI - note: crimp-on fittings are recommended for applications over 500 PSI.

Vacuum Rating: 265 inHg.

Temperature Rating: -100F to 500F

Regards,

Joseph Covely
Customer Service"

Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:50 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: braided hose & an fittings for power steering
Look at the specs for aeroquip teflon hose. This is the difference between good hose and cheap China hose.

Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:14 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Gunni -

I have been using Aeroquip FC300 hose and fittings for power steering and hydroboost. A quick search turned up these specs from EATON's website:

Cover Material Polyester Braid
Dash Size 8
Hose Family SAE R5
Max Temperature (F) 302
Min Temperature (F) -55
Operating Pressure (PSI) 2000
Product Line Aeroquip
Tube Material AQP
Agency Listings: Government Specification DOT/FMVSS 106 Type All, DNV, USCG/MMT
Agency Listings: Industry Specification SAE 100R5, SAE J1019, SAE J1402, ABS

Burst Pressure (psi) 8000
Color Blue
Description Single wire braid
General Application Hydraulics handling petroleum base fluids and air, gasoline, fuel and lubricating oils, fire resistant hydraulic fluids and other industrial fluids
Hose Base Number FC300

After a few years of use, I pulled the hoses while I install the R2.8 engine. They are in fantastic condition.

Average 23.5 mpg, Best tank: 25.1 mpg

Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:48 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:54 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I don't recall what I have, but I know I sourced it from a hydraulic shop somewhere near 2008 and it hasn't given me any trouble. I have a small piece that I can look at to see if it's got any info on it. It's not a pretty blue tho!

Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:29 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:48 am

For my hydro-boost lines I'm using the following 6an components, and so far there holding up. I just completed a 250 mile shake down run hitting up 5 trails just above Lyons. According to the specification they are rated for power steering, I'm wonder if the FB folks install and prepped the ferrules/hoses correctly??

Thanks for the post it just reminded me to make/carry a spare an hose with fittings.

https://www.summitracing.com/search?Sor ... ord=632610
https://www.summitracing.com/search?Sor ... ord=620421

Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:56 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I have also used the Aeroquip lines and fittings above (all -6an) and haven't had any issues with any of my power steering setups in the four that i have made lines for. Two of those were hydroboost as well.

I have reused some of the fittings even a few times in a pinch but prefer to use new when I can. I have had a leak or two but that was my fault and the way I inserted the fitting into the line. It was an easy fix to clean up the hose and re install the fitting.

Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:42 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Great info thanks for the insight.

From what I've read the hose & fittings must be the same brand and can't be mixed and matched. So I need to scrap what I have and buy all new fittings and hose from one source. Correct?

Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:50 am

I purchased all mine from summit, and when you pull up the type of S/S hose your going to use and scroll to the specification there should be a tab or note somewhere that say what ends are recommended.

Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:58 am

fwiw I am running the anfittingsdirect ptfe hose and have for a few years with zero issue. I run it for fuel/ps/trans you name it. My buddy is doing the same with his jeep with no issues.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:16 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:34 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks for all the info!

Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:29 pm