[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Oh my God my rig is falling apart!!!
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
 Oh my God my rig is falling apart!!! 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Oh my God my rig is falling apart!!!
Lol!!!
Well not entirely, but... Drove it to and from Super Cel and did a couple of trails and my boys drove it up to the Continental divide and back.
On the way back down the mountain they said the engine started knocking real bad and, so they pulled over and when they checked it, it had absolutely zero oil in it!?!?
I wouldn’t say that the engine smokes noticeably but what do you guys think is going on with it?
Somebody told me to pull the plugs if they were white it was burning oil.
Is this engine done, end of life or what do you guys suggest?

fyi: All new gaskets and rear main seal, doesn't leak a DROP of oil

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:49 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Oh my God my rig is falling apart!!!
Is the oil all in your antifreeze?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:51 am

Did you happen to check to see if the oil level was good once arriving in BV? the climb up 285 and cotton wood pass would most likely burn some oil if the engine is worn?

Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:21 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:26 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:27 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The plug itself doesn’t look terrible, a light gray / brown tint is normal, I do see oil outside of the threads so likely oil from valve covers. What’s your oil pressure?

Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:38 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks Kirk, I want to say 40 on the oil pressure? The engine is literally sealed up tight as a drum, there are no oil/water leaks anywhere top bottom front or back!

I’ve been having trouble keeping it running at low RPMs, whenever I stop at a stoplight it stalls and dies but starts right back up it just doesn’t want to idle right? Yesterday I went out to mess with it and it turned over just fine and smelled like it was dumping gas into the carburetor but no fire? It refused to start
So I think I will try putting my points back into it in leu of my Pertronix electronic ignition and if that doesn’t work I guess I will get a new coil
Ugggg this F$$kg PILE!!!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:35 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I know a guy who has the EFI parts you need. Doesn’t live that far from you either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:42 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:27 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

So newest problem... Rig had been running really well, until you come to a stop. It dies.
I had been messing with the carb and timing but couldn't really get it dialed in to just idle without giving it gas constantly...

Yesterday, no start at all! Turns over just fine.
Checked the fuel pump and gas is rolling
fuel/CHECK
Used Cam's Coil - no fire
Pulled my Pertronix out and put in old points (with MY coil) - No fire

So I believe I have 1 Brand new set of points that I will plug in tonight with Cam's coil and see if maybe BOTH of my coil and elec. ignition pooped out???

I also messed with distributor +/- to no avail.

Like I said, it turns over very well, just dosn't fire. At All! shrug

Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:39 am

Mike, did you re-jet your carb for the BV trip? Just for kicks have you performed a compression check/leak down check.

Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:38 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:07 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:44 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

If you have a tach in it you might try with it disconnected.

Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:25 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:50 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

It might go to the brake warning light circuit and old alternator voltage regulator. If grounded it could be dropping voltage enough to prevent spark.

Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:24 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:56 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

It'll only be melted up to the short. If that is at the firewall you won't see the meltiness under the hood if the wire heads out that way. You should probably cut it out for now. Once you figure out what doesn't work you may want to replace it. If it was tightly bundled with other wires they may be melted also. Could have been much worse.

Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:24 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Agreed!!! cookin
I didn't see any melty wires from the firewall into the engine bay but I'll get on that tonight!
Thanks so much!!

Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:55 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

So I cut out the wire that was toast, it came out of the firewall directly next to the driver side fender and then went straight down towards the rear of the vehicle. I only cut the wire out from the ignition to the firewall I didn’t mess with it any further than that.

Apparently I need a multi meter, I have electricity running to the coil but still not getting any spark out of either one of my coils for some reason? I used Cam’s coil And mine wouldn’t start and then replaced his and his vehicle started right up. WTF!?

The Ratty wire is the one directly clockwise right to the orange wire in the 4 prong connector which I believe is for the fuel tank sending unit?

Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:49 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

That wire location on the plug is running lights. Are you sure it's the same wire going to the ignition sw? You might have wiring issues.

Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:25 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I thought it was the same one but some dumba$$ painted everything blue on the firewall so I can’t tell what color those wires are? LOL!!! (IT WAS MEEEEE!!!! :):):)
I’ll spare you with the details but I got it up and running, thank you for all your help.

Surprisingly all of my lights work except maybe my back up lights and speedometer lights!

I think my whole problem had something to do with the inner cylinder key in my rotor. It might not have been pushed all the way down and had worn a groove into it so as the clock turns it was off approximately 3/16 of an inch? Probably missing the optimal firing zone but I’m just guessing I really have no idea?????
I ended up using my coil and my Pertronix ignition but I used Cam’s rotor and Cam’s distributor cap, that’s all I changed and oh yeah I cut out that ratty wire from the key ignition up to the firewall.

Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:25 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

OK well, I have no flipping idea what I did to get it running because I have all the old parts in it and sometimes it runs and sometimes it doesn’t, could it have something to do with the tilt steering wheel and the wiring there? (seems like when I tilt the steering wheel up or turn it it wants to start but when I put it in the drive position with the steering wheel neutral or down that’s when it might have trouble???)
Most of the time when it’s driving and running it runs amazingly! It has a problem stopping at stoplights and dying, anyone have any idea what’s going on? Drives perfect, No sputtering no missing no nothing? But when you slow down and stop it does not like to keep running?

... Yes, it’s carbureted ;)

Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:41 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I suspect something is not connected well in the wiring department. It won't be in the column though.

Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]