[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Explorer V8 Distributor Conversion
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Explorer V8 Distributor Conversion 

Post Explorer V8 Distributor Conversion
Hi All. I am sure this has been a topic before, but I just cannot find anything anywhere. I have an old school Ranger I have plopped a 97 5.0 Explorer engine in with an M5OD-R2 and FS bronco BW1356 T-case. I am now headed to the front of the engine to make some decisions on accessory drives. I have an OEM mustang distributor that I would like to use as I have a painless harness for the Air density computer. I know I need to change the balancer to the 50oz for the timing marks. However I would prefer to keep the exploder WP setup and use the exploder brackets for the accessories. Is this possible, by simply adding the timing pointer? I am concerned about belt alignment at the crank with this different balancer. Any advise would be appreciated. I know this is a Bronco forum, but my Ranger resources are not getting me anywhere. Tx.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:34 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Explorer V8 Distributor Conversion
The explorer balancer should be 50 oz.

Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:15 pm

the explorer crank trigger and balancer has timing marks on it. If you dont use them nothing will line up. just use the whole explorer front dress. The distributor will also have not much room for any adjustment without grinding away some of the drivers side bracket.

Why not run the explorer ecu and harness? It an easy conversion and much better than the old out dated speed density mustang stuff that is getting nearly impossible to find.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:07 am

Hi Rob Thanks for the reply. I was simply using what I have, which is the painless harness and some mustang goodies. If I could find everything to run the crank trigger, I may consider that. I am also running a 5spd instead of the auto, which I am not sure about what would be needed for the EX ecu.

On another note I do not see marks on balancer. Perhaps that is on the trigger?

Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:28 am

Never mind... I was able to find the marks on the balancer.

Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:38 am

the explorer stuff is easy to get from the wrecking yard. And we have the EFIguy local to us for the ecu changes. You can set up the explorer stuff for a 5speed.

As a note while the mustang stuff still works finding an ECU for a replacement is getting to be difficult.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:55 am
VENDOR
VENDOR

Even if you stick with the Mustang system, it's worth converting it to EDIS and ditching the distributor. Would need to use a mass-air computer though.

Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:24 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:04 pm
VENDOR
VENDOR

Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:35 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks,

So you need to use the Explorer front dress to get a crank trigger, and add a cam sensor in place of the dizzy?

Where do you get the EDIS module.

Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:54 am

So what Garry is saying is it is easier to just swap to the full explorer stuff. i mean if you have to do the front dress and all that you might as well just swap the harness and ecu also.

Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]