[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - First Start of Rebuilt 351W
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 First Start of Rebuilt 351W 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post First Start of Rebuilt 351W
I just got done installing my newly rebuilt 351W (came out of a '95 F150), and after attempting to start it yesterday there was a very loud backfire. The engine never started and I didn't continue to crank after the backfire. I'm thinking I didn't install the distributor correctly.

I put the #1 cylinder at the top of the compression stroke and the crank positioned at TDC. I got a new MSD TFI distributor and since the cap did not have an indicator for which plug tower is the #1, I thought I would mirror what the stock Fox Body mustang style TFI distributor caps show as the #1 tower (see pic). I have the TFI module positioned at about the 4 o'clock position. My firing order is 13726548. Do I not have the #1 tower on the distributor cap correct? Is the rotation of the distributor rotor supposed to be CCW? A book I have showed the rotation going CW so that's how I set up the wiring, but now as I type this I'm wondering if the rotation is CCW.

Also of note is I have open exhaust at the moment. Didn't know if having open exhaust with the O2 sensors right there at the collector would cause any backfiring issues or any other issues for that matter.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:44 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: First Start of Rebuilt 351W
CCW is the correct rotation.

Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:10 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Isn’t the number 1 position where you have a number 3 marked?

Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:45 am

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:54 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Still having trouble getting my Bronco started. I have changed my distributor plug wiring to reflect a CCW rotor rotation in the 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 firing order. I tried positioning the crank at both 10 degrees BTDC and right at TDC on the #1 compression stroke after reading the info on this site ( https://www.w8ji.com/distributor_stabbing.htm) and the engine still didn't fire up. I verified I am getting spark and fuel pressure is reading ~35 - 40ish psi. Pulled codes and, in order, I am getting 23, 81, 82, 85, 84, 10, 11. Any ideas/suggestions?

Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:51 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

23 - Throttle Position Sensor Out Of Self Test Range. This is a problem. All the other codes are ok.

It's either not connected or wired wrong or broken. This could keep it from starting.

Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:41 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Took me forever to get back to working on this, but I was finally able to get my engine started last weekend. I rectified the pertinent codes mentioned earlier. It also turned out I was 180 degrees off with my distributor. After reading a good post online, I set the crank to 10 degrees BTDC, re-stabbed the distributor, and it started right up.

However, now I have a new issue...my transmission won't go into gear. There is also a bit of a grinding sound when I shift back into park. Fluid is showing full when engine is at operating temp.

Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:34 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Transfer case is in neutral or driveshaft is missing.

Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]