[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - To high pinion 44 or rotate low pinion knuckles?
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 To high pinion 44 or rotate low pinion knuckles? 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post To high pinion 44 or rotate low pinion knuckles?
Hello,

I currently have a 1976 low pinion Dana 44 in my Bronco. I just rebuilt the axle from the spindles out with new spindles, bearings and races. While doing this I couldn't help but think about my my future plans of installing a locker and gears for my new 35’s I just installed (currently C4 and 4.11 limited slip). The bronco currently drives pretty well but has a little wondering due to 4.5 inch lift and 7 degree bushing on stock arms (netting caster of "i think" 3degrees). My plans next winter are to either build radius arms like Justins or buy duffs long arms. At that time I will cut and rotate the c’s for near perfect pinion angle. My decision I need to make is if I'm going to make these changes it would also be the right time to swap in a HP 44 housing. If I swap a HP44 in would I still be able to use my knuckles out from the 76 since I just installed/bought the new parts on it?

Would you vote swap to HP or would you rotate the low pinion knuckles and keep my current housing?

Have you rotated your low pinion knuckles and been able to get full flex without binding the U joint?

If you have found a HP 44 for your rig where did you find it? Do junkyards still have them? Are they getting harder to find and only found in online marketplaces?

What is a ballpark price on a HP 44 housing?

Thanks Guys trying to think ahead so I can gather parts this summer for next winters projects.

Zen

Real Estate Agent at Lorin Properties Inc.
Zen@LorinProperties.com (303) 653-1541

Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:12 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: To high pinion 44 or rotate low pinion knuckles?
I'm assuming you'll stay stock width if you swap to a HP. So you'd have to cut down the full width axle housing.

There are 2 full width axle housings they are probably both getting harder to find.

77 & earlier F150- these are the most desirable they are thicker wall tubing, and the wedges are welded to the tube. Note: I recently bought a D44 "from a 78 Bronco" that was this style. It was probably an early 78 production Bronco that got a left over 77 housing. So as with everything Ford, don't assume based on model year.

78/79 F150/Bronco- these are probably easier to find, but have a thinner wall and funny cast wedges. The tubing does not continue through the wedge assembly. This makes them harder to change the length. Someone said you can just cut the long side down to get to EB width, but I think this will put the diff under the oil pan. With only a 4.5" lift this could cause problems.

I've picked up 2 of the early housings for $100 each with no knuckles. I was lucky and got my "78 Bronco" axle with knuckles and brakes for $150. Keep an eye on Craigslist, FB Marketplace, etc and you'll find one eventually. Someone might rob the knuckles and brakes for their EB and sell off the housing- that's how I got one of mine.

The 76 knuckles should work. They seem to have the same outer shaft length as the HP axles. The HP knuckles do allow for a larger/stronger axle u-joint. I don't know if your 76 EB knuckles can use the larger u-joint.

Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:43 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Hey Zen

To me your decision is a no brainer. I say this based on the assumption you will be changing gear ratio due to tire size and that you will be installing a locker.

Find an HP44 from a 76 or 77 F150 and cut it down to EB width and rotate Cs and wedges. Don’t forget that Duff arms have 4 degrees of cast built in, some people say that is enough.

The beauty for you is that you can have the new axle built and ready to install and then just transfer your new parts over to the new axle.

I just bought an HP44 axle and planning to do the same.

I know a guy that cut down an HP44 out of 78 and newer rig. He is in Albuquerque and wants 375 for it. Ping me for contact info if your interested.

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:00 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'm biased, but would suggest the HP44. As Jeff suggested, I went with the 76/77 housing. Instead of cutting it down, I just got a matching rear, but that's not everyone's cup of tea. The HP front end is stronger, as it runs the gear in the correct direction compared to the LP. It also eliminates concern about flex and ability to travel. I can run mine at full droop, and shouldn't have binding issues that would absolutely be there with a LP setup. I found mine in a local junkyard, I think for $150 with the stock radius arms still attached. That was a bunch of years ago, but I'd probably pay up to $350 for one now if it was in good shape. They've gotten less common and more desirable. I'm also willing to scrape Craigslist for months looking for a killer deal, so your mileage may vary.

Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:35 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I've seen the 76/77 axles going for $6-700 and still need to be built. If you come across one for sub $400 it's a good deal.

I see guys getting $250-300 just for the disc brake setup off those and the 78/79 axles.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:26 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:52 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:00 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:04 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:07 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

No need for new wheels for a full width 44 swap if you go with 76-77 f150 stuff. I'm still 5x5.5. Theyre only about 4-6" wider. Opens up wheel selection a little though. I run 4.75" backspacing, which you can't do with stock width axles.

Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:34 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I am agreement that the HP44 is the way to go.

If you want simplicity, buy off the shelf arms. If you want to be able to have more control over caster, get some DOM and joints and make your own.

Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:47 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I would vote HP44. The pinion placement is better.

With a 3.5" lift, my pinion u-joint angle is almost perfectly straight, which makes the front spin vibration free.

Keep an eye on the pick-n-pulls. I see 76-78 Fords there once in a while with HP44s

Average 23.5 mpg, Best tank: 25.1 mpg

Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:40 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:28 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:04 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:56 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]