[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Reinventing the D44 (HP)
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Reinventing the D44 (HP) 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Reinventing the D44 (HP)
This topic has been batted around here before. I'm hanging around Jeep guys lately (don't judge me) and I've stumbled on a new wrinkle.

The idea is how to cram a bigger, stronger gear into a HPD44. Yes, I know I want a 609 with a True Hi9. But money, time, etc won't allow for that yet.

Jantz engineering offers a kit to put D50 gears into the HPD44 housing. Pro: bigger ring gear, almost 9". Con: same pinion diameter as the D44.

I was at our club meeting a couple weeks ago and someone offered a HPD44 4.88 ring and pinion for cheap. I will need to regear when I get back on the road and I jumped on the chance. When I went to pick it up, I quickly realized this was a JK Rubicon HPD44 gear. I haven't bought it yet, but I started an internet search for any magic to install the gears into my axle.

Enter Jantz engineering's new kit: K4. This kit is made to install a rear JK Rubicon D44 ring and pinion into a regular D44 housing. Actually this would probably work for you guys with stock LP front axles. Pros: 8.9" ring gear vs 8.5" stock, larger pinion diameter than stock. Con: none except work and cost of the kit.

I've been emailing with Carl Jantz about using this in my HP axle. I'm not 100% sure it will work yet. Unfortunately, the JK Rubicon HP ring is still 8.5", not 8.9". It does have the larger, stronger pinion than the old D44 pinion.

So my questions is:

What is the weak point of the HPD44 ring and pinon with 37's, crazy low t-case gears, and chromoly axles? The pinion or the gear?

Is it worth making the upgrade to the larger D50 ring?

Is it worth making the upgrade to the larger JK Rubicon pinon?

If only the JK Rubicon front gear upgraded to the 8.9" ring, it would make the decision easy. You would end up with a D60 pinion and a larger ring gear than the D44.

Below gen 1 D44 vs rear JKD44 vs D60
129-1007-15+dana-44-dana-60+ring-and-pinions.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:51 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Reinventing the D44 (HP)
Pinion deflection is generally the weak point with a R&P set. Thus why the JK rear uses a bigger pinion shaft.

The JK HD44 upgrade seems worthwhile, the HP44 upgrade with the smaller pinion shaft doesn't gain you anything worthwhile.

Average 23.5 mpg, Best tank: 25.1 mpg

Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:40 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:22 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:23 pm

Ya know I was pondering this myself. What I would do is get a dynatrac axle built. that is if they could work with factory outer knuckles. granted that would probably be $4k.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:24 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:30 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:43 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Interesting. I just got really happy about my doubler.

Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:35 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:52 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:14 pm

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:15 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The bad news from Carl Jantz is that the ring and pinion I can buy will not fit. The pinion is too short in overall length.

This has confused me, Carl Jantz says there are 2 length of JK pinions. The one I have is a 'short' one at 7-1/2". I've looked at tons of JK ring & pinion sets on line and not one has mentioned short or long pinion. I even spoke to Currie, because this one is from a Currie axle, and they have never heard of different pinion lengths. Based on the part number on the pinion, my guess is it might be from Yukon.

Oh well it was worth a shot.

EDIT: It might be all JK Rubicon front diffs have the "short" pinion. I can't find any with longer pinion. Yukon's and Nitro's both mention short pinion.

Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:34 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Is Carl Jantz that dude that was on a tv show where they were on some adventure challenge 4x4 trip across Alaska ?

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:44 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:22 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

With the Atlas there is certainly the opportunity to wheel with more finesse, which is also my style. But when things break, the multiplied torque can really take out of lot of parts.

I had to be dragged out of Penrose (the easy trail) the one time I did it. Running stock HP44 shafts and u-joints I tried to crawl into one of the harder trails and broke the u-joint. So I gave up that idea. When we all started heading back out, I couldn't get a line I needed with 3WD. I maneuvered a little and got the dead wheel bound up against a tree. I could feel the torque was about to overpower my setup so I backed off. Spotter said it would come thru, so I tried again and BOOM, blew the rear atlas yoke and took out the CV. Sweet, 1WD now! That was not so fun.

But since I have upgraded to Chromoly shafts, I haven't had a breakage now that I know the limits of my system.

Then there are times were copious amounts of throttle need applied and I generally cringe in those scenarios.

I too am dreaming about the 609...but I have to get a lot more serious about my wheeling before I can justify that!

Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]