[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - EFI vapor lock....SOLVED!!!!
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 EFI vapor lock....SOLVED!!!! 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post EFI vapor lock....SOLVED!!!!
I vapor locked a little over a week ago. It was only in the 80s and after an hour or so on the highway I sputtered out and died. Its happened before. I pop the hood, let the pressure out of the tank by slowly removing the gas cap, wait 15+ minutes and try to get home.
This time, after 15 min, I drove it to a gas station and filled it up with cool gas (it was at 1/3 tank). That seemed to do the trick and finished the 40 minute uneventful trek home.

I've got a couple questions:
1. I thought I already had a vented gas cap but it's not working now. There's quite a lot of pressure in the tank. It's it recommended to have a vented cap for efi?

2. I only have one external pump by the tank that pushes it up to the injectors but it seems like the fuel stays in the engine bay and heats up way too much before returning to the tank. I've read a little on a LP pump to an accumulator and then a HP pump to the injectors. Does anyone have a diagram or link how it is set it up?

Thanks.

Last edited by Gregg on Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:48 am

Post Re: EFI vented gas caps or not
answer is swap to intank pump. I had the same issue as you. went intank and it all went away.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:14 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I have exactly what you mentioned in option 2 and have never had an issue. Got the accumulator setup from BC Broncos with a LP pump before it and a HP right after it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:40 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I don't think the cap is a problem. Pressure in the tank would not create vapor lock. It's the vacuum between the tank and pump inlet combined with the high fuel temp that's causing the vapor lock.

There's a few ways to make it better. In tank pump is cleanest solution but possibly most expensive and requires either fabrication or new tank. Pusher pump and accumulator works good but will require a little wiring, plumbing and space management. Just use a good pusher pump like a carter p4070. Other ways to Band-Aid the situation are to move the HP pump lower and closer to the bottom of the tank, put a cooler in the return line to cool the tank, and keep the tank full.

Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:46 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I had similar issues. Not convinced it was vapor-lock per-say. When I bought the bronco, it had a holley red pump at the tank, and the factory HP fuel pump from the 95 F250 engine donor in the engine bay No accumulator. Worked great until I rebuilt the engine (you can find my thread). I replaced the Holley pump with the Carter unit and still had problems. the HP pump would get HOT! In the end, I moved the HP pump to the fuel tank, eliminating the LP pump and it's been great since.

So...if you're fuel tank is under a vacuum, a vented cap should help because then your pump isn't working against a vacuum. If you want to experiment, I suppose you could drill in a pinhole in the gas cap and go for a ride on a hot day.

Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:59 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I already picked up a new vented gas cap. After looking over at CB.com there seems to be a lot of different opinions regarding the accumulator. Looks like the in tank is the best way to go but also more $$$ than I planned. OR they are back ordered. I'll entertain the accumulator for now.

1. Would the correct order of stuff go:
Tank, filter, LP pump, accumulator, HP pump, injectors
2. The filter and LP pump be close to the tank
3. Could the accumulator and HP pump go where the aux tank is
4. Assuming the return lines stay as is.

Thanks!

Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:45 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:53 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Will this Holley Red pump from my carb days work:
https://www.amazon.com/Holley-12-801-1- ... B00029JC5S

I just got a HP filter like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Ford-F ... 2430714477

I have the 95 ish F150 (dual tank) inline HP pump from the JY

As for the accumulator....What would suggest?

Cool.

Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:15 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

BC Broncos makes an accumlator, but you can do it yourself like I did. Not sure it's too much cheaper, but it works.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3874

And yes everything you posted should work.

Mount the filter between the HP pump and motor. I've added a real basic filter between the tank and the LP pump. Any 6 psi carb pump should work.

I've been running this type of set up since I went EFI and it works fine. I've debated going to HP only or intank pump but it has never happened.

Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:26 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I don't know about Holley pumps but I do know that any LP pump doesn't always work. It has to flow at least as much fuel as the HP pump. That is why I mentioned the carter pump above. I know they work. It would really suck to do all this and end up with exactly the same result.

Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:13 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:16 am

Go in tank and never worry again.

Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:46 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'm about to start ordering parts.
Other than how much fuel it holds and size, what would be the reasoning between a 1 qt and .5 qt accumulator?
https://bcbroncos.com/shop/fuel/fuel-pu ... ly-bronco/

Also, if the accumulator has a filter on/in it, do you need a filter between the accumulator and injectors?
Would it be overkill to put a fuel cooler before /after the accumulator as the fuel goes back towards the tank? Something like:
https://outlawspeed.com.au/shop/dp13310

Thanks.

Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:18 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I’m guessing an additional HP filter is overkill but that is what I did.

I’m guessing the larger the accumulator, the more the fuel can cool before delivery?

Here are a couple of dirty pictures for your viewing pleasure of my setup.

Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:49 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I've been running fine with a smaller filter. I'm not sure how much you would need.

I read to install the filter between the HP pump and motor in case the HP pump fails, it can send pieces of the damaged pump into the motor if not filtered.

Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:55 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Larger accumulator hangs down further. I run the shorter one.

Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:40 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thank you for the advice and Pics. I ordered the parts and I have this weekend to hammer this out.

Wiring.....

Can I use the existing power supply to the HP pump, split it to power the LP pump too? Seems too easy....

Thanks!

Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:44 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:16 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: EFI vapor lock....maybe
I got all the parts and will doing this on Sunday. Thanks for the suggestions.

On my 15 minute drive home on Thursday I parked the Bronco for 15 minutes and ran back out for a quick errand. 5 minutes into the errand it started to sputter and backfire. It didn't die but I had to really gas it to keep it running. When I got home I felt the fuel lines, filter and pump and none of them were hot and the fuel pressure guage was at 35 psi. It's only happened when the weather has been 75 degrees or so. Sucks because it's beautiful Bronco driving weather. Ideas?

Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:54 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Not sure how any of these suggestions would matter if specific to warmer temperatures but...

- fuel filters?
- check all the injectors are opening and aren’t getting clogged.
- air filter is clean

Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:52 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

My guess is injectors or fuel pressure regulator

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:04 pm

Unfortunately I didn’t see this but I have an accumulator sitting in my garage.

I had a very similar issue. Ended up with a low pressure puller, a reusable filter, high pressure pump. In tank has dynamats. Had to redo the plumbing inside the tank because they dumped in the same area not allowing the return fuel to cool in the bulk. I’ll attach a picture. Image

What tank do you have?

Sun May 02, 2021 2:56 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Might be worth checking your timing. It's quick and simple. I had a "vapor lock" situation, or so I thought? Turns out my timing was way off. Throw a timing light on it.

Mon May 03, 2021 6:46 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I got everything plumbed and wired. I primed the fuel line a few times to fill up the ACCUMULATOR and fired it up. It was running just fine minus the significant leaking from the ACCUMULATOR brass threads. I continued to tightened them but I couldn't stop the leak. I called BC Broncos and they sent me a new one.
I was cautious (again) to gently snug it and then progressively tighten it until the the leaking stopped. Well, I couldn't tighten it enough. Literally, I have worked it in a vice and I've got it as far as I can physically turn them, and they both still leak. I'm at a loss and I'm tired of smelling like gasoline. Am I missing something?
BTW- BC Broncos was super cool about the replacement.

Last edited by Gregg on Thu May 20, 2021 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 19, 2021 9:11 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Did you try using some rtv or Teflon on the threads?

Wed May 19, 2021 9:13 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Regulator leaking or accumulator fittings?

If you are sealing the accumulator fittings they are pipe thread and need a sealant. I'd use a thread paste or yellow teflon tape, or both. The yellow tape is for corrosive fluids or gases (liquid propane) and tougher than the white teflon tape.

The regulator looks like an oring seal. I've never swapped mine so I don't know myself.

Wed May 19, 2021 9:31 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu May 20, 2021 8:34 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu May 20, 2021 9:53 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks Gunni and Eck. I wrapped the threads with the yellow tape and seems to be holding for now. No leaks.

Took it for a test drive around the neighborhood and it wasn't good. Lots of sputtering on acceleration. Idles fine.
32 psi on the fuel pressure gauge.
Yes, the hoses are hooked up correctly.
No kinks in the hoses.
Both pumps are getting power.

What else should I check?

Thu May 20, 2021 8:44 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu May 20, 2021 9:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next