[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Headlights - upgrades
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
 Headlights - upgrades 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Headlights - upgrades
Ok. Drove the Bronco in the dark for the first time in a long time. The stock headlights are truly pathetic. I know I should upgrade the harness but I'm curious what bulbs/lights folks are liking? Wild Horses has a bunch on sale for Black Friday. Others I should consider? Assuming led over the H4 stuff just due to longevity and less heat.

Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:05 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Headlights - upgrades
I can't speak to the LEDs, but I switched to H4 without the wiring harness upgrades about 20 years ago and they are a great upgrade. I've actually never had a bulb burn out. The heat is probably a good thing if you drive in the cold & snow.

Still running those lights, now with the wiring upgrade.

Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:35 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Trucklite LED headlights are amazing. I drove several vehicles with these before buying a set for the Bronco. The Bronco easily has the best headlights of my fleet right now.

Average 23.5 mpg, Best tank: 25.1 mpg

Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:55 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:19 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

LED's as well. Rob got us a mass-buy a few years ago. I think they were J.W. Speaker knock-offs, but they still have worked amazing! I really don't drive mine at night much at all, but the couple times I have, it was a night and day (LOL) difference between them and the old sealed beams.

Plus the LED's aren't pulling the power thru old wiring as much as the OE stuff.

Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:37 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I have the same Knockoffs from a while back. I’d agree with LED’s but I think if I were to do it all over, and I had the money, I’d pay a little more for a name brand and choose my pattern.

I admittedly probably need to go someplace really dark and try to set my beam pattern a little better but the ones I have seem to have the triangular dead spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:18 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Average 23.5 mpg, Best tank: 25.1 mpg

Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:24 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks! I don't plan on driving in the snow and ice frequently unless it's like Super Cel two years ago.

Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:30 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I am running the WH h4 non-led kit #6086w. They are ok. I went with these for the heat when driving in the snow and ice.

Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:32 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Running a modern sealed replacement like a Sylvania SilverStar is a good start, as well as making sure all the electrical contacts (power & ground) are clean. Eck mentioned correct aiming, which is something I mess with since my rig changes so much.

I just recently added the aftermarket wiring to bypass the factory circuit on BSD, I got tired of chasing poor connections and cheap replacements at the headlight switch and/or dimmer switch.

The next step is obviously LEDs, heated for me as I roll in all weather conditions.

Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:39 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

LED’s are definitely the way to go. I run the Pro Comp ones and they work phenomenal. Lot better price than the truck lite and JW. I would agree though if you plan to run them in snow, go for a heated pair. Mine worked fine when I last drove it in the snow but did see a drop in brightness. However, still brighter than the halogens.

Thought I had a better pic but this shows the brightness of them.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:25 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I changed to the H4 style because the sealed beams are getting harder to find. The Brighton stores had very few. And I can carry a replacment bulb in the glove box.

Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:22 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Well, after a lot of reading, I pulled the trigger and went and picked up these Grote's:

I showed the wife the various ones I was considering and she liked the more classic look of the Truck-lite and Grote's. After doing some digging, it looks like the people selling the Truck-lite's on Amazon aren't actually resellers and some folks have reported having issues getting their warranties honored. While you hope it never comes to that, I wasn't willing to risk it. I was able to get the Grote's at Advanced Auto here locally with a 20% off which got them close to the Wild Horses deal. I'll look forward to installing them once I get my Bronco back (it's currently being stored while the garage gets new concrete).

I'm sure it will be a far better no matter which way I go. I also saw on CB that Holly now has some as well that have the classic look and are about $200/each. Look super nice as well.

Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:15 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I like the classic look as well. I had seen some people from CB.com that went with these as well. I will be interested to hear/see how you like them. Do you have to add any sort of pigtail?

Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:48 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:53 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Grotes look and work great, also they pull significantly less amperage.

Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:10 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Found some pics of mine with results:

Low beam:

High:

Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:05 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:22 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:36 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I recently saw a thread on CB.com that discusses Holley’s new retro LED headlight. There aren’t any reviews yet because they are new and available to purchase on preorder. I like the look.

https://www.holley.com/products/restora ... trobright/

Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:17 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Those are a good look! Noticed they come in different light colors (degrees Kelvin), so make sure you are getting what you want. I'd like to see patterns and output when people start installing them. The 5500-6500K is what sunlight is, which is what our eyes are designed for.

Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:09 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Those 5.75" lights are interesting. Seems like a good size to build into a bumper for driving lights that have a cutoff so that you don't blind incoming traffic.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:10 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Can't wait to really see these in action. Way brighter. It helps that I fixed one of the grounds as well. ImageImage

Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:14 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Did you add the screens or did they come with? Looks nice!

Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:45 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]