[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - DOM radius arms/coil spring location
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 DOM radius arms/coil spring location 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post DOM radius arms/coil spring location
When I swap axles, I'm planning on replacing my Bloody Knuckle extended radius arms with fabricated DOM arms. My goal is a straight arm with no bends.

Right now I'm running 79 Bronco D44 (I think it's a 65.5" WMS) and adjustable upper coil buckets with extra width to match the wider 79 axles. I plan to build my new axles at the same width.

I'm thinking of going back to a narrower stock coil bucket location. This would allow me to run a straight radius arm without compromising turning radius/tire rubbing on the radius arms. I'm also a bit concerned the larger D60 knuckles won't allow for the same WMS width with the wider coil mount locations. So going back to the stock Bronco coil location would solve both problems.

Would this possibly cause any negative ride/articulation issues? I don't think having a couple extra inches of axle outboard of the coil springs would be terribly detrimental, but wanted input before I put things in motion.

Also, is there any advantage/disadvantage to running shorter or longer upper links? I'm basically going to duplicate the Ruffstuff kit, but they call out longer upper DOM lengths than I expected. My arms should be about 40" (or a little less) long with 7" link separation at the axle.

I'm going to build a set up like the image below and use axle brackets from Ballistic Fab.

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:39 am

Post Re: DOM radius arms/coil spring location
dont see why it would be an issue.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:40 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I took measurements off the 72 and the 74 today. The stock spring location is about 5" narrower than the full width/79 axles.

A friend sent me this, regarding moving the springs in:

"inboarding the springs and keeping the same spring rate will reduce roll stiffness, depending on suspension geometry can also add more roll oversteer"

So I'm going to expect some change to the ride, but hopefully it won't be significantly worse. I think Cody's rig had full width axles with narrow stock upper coil bucket.

Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:02 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

He's right, but with a correctly set up radius arm/panhard bar setup I'm not sure I'd be that worried about roll oversteer. If you're keeping the springs in the stock EB location, I can't imagine you'd pick up meaningful body roll, either, given the same spring rates, etc.

If you separated the coil mounts from the radius arm location and moved the radius arm inboard from stock you'd pick up some roll. You could tune some of that out with stiffer bushings or add a sway bar.

Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:09 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:32 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Average 23.5 mpg, Best tank: 25.1 mpg

Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:11 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:49 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:11 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Part of my response to your questions ended up on your 4 link thread. Weird.

I removed and replaced the stock frame brackets when I went to long arms (12”ish longer and thru bolted heims). The brackets that came with the arms were parallel with the frame. The heim misalignment and the bend in the arm allowed everything to work even with the wider axle mounts.

I removed and replaced those brackets when I moved the axle forward 2". Mine are now angled slightly out towards the axle mounts. I think I'll probably be able to leave them as-is and they will be pointing very close to the stock mounting width with straight arms.

Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:20 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I saw it. There is something said to now have to rework those brackets. And the front isn't too bad since it's a steering axle and you can maneuver around something if you are getting hung up on that bracket. The rear is a different story, at least it has been for me.

Since I was already cutting off factory stuff, it made sense to try and tuck every up as high as possible, and I went thru all the effort to clock my Atlas flat so anything I can do to improve breakover is worth it.

Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:51 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]