[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Trailering my Bronco
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
 Trailering my Bronco 

Post Trailering my Bronco
I have never trailered before but I am renting a flatbed to get to Bronco Safari. Can you of you experienced trailering guy point me to a good loading/tie down instruction page? Remember my truck is a little bigger then most of yours.

Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:54 am

Post Re: Trailering my Bronco
The biggest thing to look out for is tongue weight. you need that balanced and the trailer wont sway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oT2UaQHkyOo

Strapping is also a big one. Dont cross straps like most say. strap from axles not frame.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIC7URvAqmM&t=447s

Best thing to do is load it up. go for a drive. If it sways pull over and move the bronco forward or back and try again.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:42 am

Thanks Rob. There is so much crap out there I wanted to cut straight to the good stuff. I am already pushing the towing I want it as good as I can.

Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:11 am

One more question. With a truck as tall as Shadowfax if you had a choice would you do a deckover trailer or a normal one with fenders?

Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:57 pm

normal is fine. also you can add a few straps to compress the suspension on the bronco so it doesnt bounce around on the trailer a bunch. It makes a difference.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:43 pm

I reserved a deckover. DO you see an issue with the height?

Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:46 am

shouldnt be. just have to measure final height and see what height restrictions are on the tunnels. And that height will create a bunch more drag so mpg's will likely be crap.

Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:42 pm

I am sure it will not be more then 30 inches extra so still less then 10 feet total. Yea but not driving the bronco to Moab and back will be nice. Especially not back. I have had some interesting returns.

Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:46 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Agreeing with Rob. I didn't click his links, but you want 10% of the gross weight to be tongue weight. 8,000lb trailer needs to be 800lbs tongue.
This is the company that makes the hitch I use and has some great info:
https://www.weigh-safe.com/

However, contrary to what Rob does, I run 10k lb straps from the frame to the trailer at all 4 corners. I didn't like how it swayed headed down the highway. This also puts good triangulation so it stays put. Front is literally off the frame horns. Rear is off my center hitch recovery point.

What are you towing with? Will the trailer have brakes? IF so, do you need a brake controller?

I don't think you will run into height issues on your way to moab. Just avoid drive-thrus, and B-road underpasses. You aren't probably taller than your larger box delivery trucks.

Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:14 pm

Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:20 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Make sure your hitch is also rated for 12k. I have a F150 ecoboost with the same rating but was denied a trailer rental once because my hitch was only rated for like 8000 lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:15 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I don't recall the details of your trail rig, but I'm curious to know what it really weighs. Fighting weight for mine is around 4400lbs. I think my trailer is somewhere north of 2200lbs as it's rated for 14k. I think I have that info somewhere, but it could be in any number of places.

Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:15 am

Good points. Hitch is class iv. Bronco is 95 with D44 SAS D60 rear and 35s IIRC the original owner placed it around 6k.

Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:28 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

According to google, stock is 4,616 lbs. You have a landscaping supply co nearby? They will generally have a scale and sometimes will let you get a quick weight for a tip or less.

Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:47 pm

Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:22 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:16 pm

Well with my fat a$$ in it, full of gas and most of my Moab trail stuff we are 6400.

Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:14 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

That is heavier than I thought, but now you have a number!

Did you reserve a 10k+ trailer?

Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:03 pm

Yep. Pick up next Saturday Head to Moab Sunday Have fun starting Monday.

Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:03 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sounds like an excellent plan!! Post a trip report so I can live vicariously thru you!!

Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:42 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I’m looking into making the same trip with my Bronco.
I’d like to know where to rent a trailer from and how was your experience with rental place?
Thanks.

Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]