[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - PIP sensor question
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 PIP sensor question 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post PIP sensor question
Will PIP sensor just suddenly drop dead and cause a no spark condition?

I was on a short drive in my Bronco and just couple blocks from home it just died suddenly. It won’t fire back up.
I tested for voltage at the coil and found none, could it be the PIP?
I have a couple spare TFI modules (used) so I swapped them in to see if that would change anything, it didn’t.
Visually checked for loose connectors and wires but don’t see anything obvious.

Not sure where to start from here,
Computer or PIP?..? Perhaps

Thanks for any advice,

Justin

Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:35 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: PIP sensor question
For those of you who may in counter the same issue I just experienced, I hope this will save you from chasing your tail for a few days!

I was on a test drive after doing some suspension upgrades when my Bronco suddenly died. Nothing I did would get it to start again just so I could get it home. So I call the wife and requested she grab my truck and come tow me home, only a few blocks thankfully, she was not stoked to be doing this….blah, blah, blah.

Anyway, I start poking around and testing stuff like the coil, fuel pressure, fuses and so on. I decide I’m not getting any spark from the coil so I go buy a new one and plug it in, no dice. I then decide to swap out the TFI module with a couple I had as spares, no dice again. I jump online and start looking up diagnostic tutorials and perform several tests that point me to the PIP sensor, on my set up it’s inside the distributor, no problem I say to myself, I’ve done this repair on a ‘96 Bronco I used to have. Track down a new PIP sensor and get swapped in and continue to hook everything back up. Feeling relief that I finally got this little gremlin tracked down, I go to start it up and celebrate. WELL, NO DICE AGAIN. I say a few choice words and go stomping off back the IPad to look up more internet mechanics tips on what to look for and different ways to test them…..on and on, I test and check every thing two or three times all the while thinking the G D PIP sensor was eliminated from the equation because I had already changed it with a new part. I proceeded to remove the heater box from under the dash so I could pull the computer in order to check the capacitors for signs of failure. By this time I’m beside myself, I’ve been working at for 3 days. FINALLY, I’ve had enough and I decide there’s no way it could be anything but the PIP sensor. I track down another one (not that readily available it turns out) and put in AGAIN. The Bronco fired up immediately, for figure. The lesson here is don’t be hardheaded and assume a new part is going to be good right of the box, sometimes you will get a lemon.

Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:28 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:12 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:13 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Glad you got it going. I had a similar “new part” situation with a hydraulic clutch. Finally pulled the transmission and replaced the new one with another new one and had it working 10 minutes later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]