[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - chevy steering conversion
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 4:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
 chevy steering conversion 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post chevy steering conversion
do i need to ream the draglink hole if i am going to do over knuckle steering. all other forums dont give this info on this. if i did under, the hole is tapered the right way, but over i would have to ream the taper completely opposite. Pretty sure thats what i need to do.

Just want to make sure with people who have already done this.

Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:06 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: chevy steering conversion
Are you talking about the 1 ton TRE chevy conversion with DOM tubing? If so, then you'll need to ream the tie rod either way, I think.

Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:19 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I just put in a C***y TRE & drag link set up. The drag link I used wouldn't fit through the hole in the tie rod either direction. I would have had to ream it to install it either way. I wondered why, but didn't think too much about it & reamed.

I used the typical part numbers to order them from Carquest. They were Raybestos, not Moog.

Chad

Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:25 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Here is pic

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:26 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Yep thats it. The drag link end won't fit either way.

Chad

Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:28 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

yeah either way it needs reamed. should i not use moog.

Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:29 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

should i just ream it and be done if thats what i need to do. can i see some pics of your guys setup.

Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:32 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Use Moog, its a good brand, I was just saying. I did mine with a full width axle swap, so everything is a bit wider.

I didn't give it much thought, just enough to make sure I reamed it from the correct side.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:38 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

alright, i got the idea. thank you

Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:41 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

i just never heard anyone having to ream that tierod, so i was worried that i had got a wrong part or something

Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:43 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I think you are right about never reading about it specifically. I just made sure I had the right part number and went for it.

Chad

Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:46 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Just for reference. Here is my setup. Not a "chevy" conversion but works well.

Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:26 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

ok after getting the above resolved.

how long should i make the draglink and tie rod? using inserts, for stock dana

Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:05 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

In my case the tie rod tube was about 37". The tubing for my drag link was about 24". If I had it to do over again I would have made the drag link about 1/4" shorter, as I need a little more room to adjust up now that I'm running '78 Bronco knuckles. I'd take your existing stuff, mock up the parts on your garage floor and measure it with the old and new parts laid out next to each other. Your drag link will need to be a little longer than mine since I'm running the joint under the pitman arm and you're going over.

Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:14 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

cool thanks for the advise. I thought there would be a one size fits all measurement laughing2

Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:22 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

i have the stock pitman arm. should i still go "over" on the pitman?

Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:27 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I can't remember how much you're lifted. It'll also matter whether you've got a track bar drop or riser bracket. I'd do whatever keeps the bar in the best alignment with the track bar as long as the new rod end will clear everything.

Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:47 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks For for your advise and help! Just got every thing setup tonight, just need to cut and weld. Everything seems to flow once you just start wrenching on it. I will get some pics posted soon.

Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:28 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

No sweat! It's nice to be giving advice for a change. I'm curious to see how yours turns out. Have fun!

Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:30 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

yes you need to ream all three holes and be very careful not to over ream them don't ask me how i know . i have the reamer and you can borrow it as long as you don't run it backwards because you'll ruin it and have to buy me a new one at 78.00 . thats my only agreement is you break you replace it . you can also look at mine it's an extreme 4x4 setup .

Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:47 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:36 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Nice work, I hope you are as happy with your set up as I am.

Chad

Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:13 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Looks good-nice work!

Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:22 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks y'all can't wait to try it out. Took apart the front end again for new springs and degree bushings. Thinking about swapping out for the 44 sitting in the garage as well

Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]