[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - head bolt torque specs for a 92 5.0 H.O motor.
It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 5:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 head bolt torque specs for a 92 5.0 H.O motor. 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post head bolt torque specs for a 92 5.0 H.O motor.
I'm getting ready to put the heads back onto the motor and was told by the guy who replaced the valve springs that these heads and bolts were torque to yield variety. Maybe he just wanted to sell me some new bolts as I am not finding this in my internet research.

1992 HO roller motor out of a mustang. I'm finding the following..... Does anybody have a source that states something different? Thanks
Cylinder head bolts
-1979-1992
--Step 1 55-65 ft/lbs
--Step 2 65-72 ft/lbs
-1993-up
--Step 1 25-35 ft/lbs
--Step 2 45-55 ft/lbs
--Step 3 75-85 ft/lbs

Brett

Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:06 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: head bolt torque specs for a 92 5.0 H.O motor.
Here is what NotAll Data says

Cylinder Head Bolt: 5.OL (302 CID) (1) -
Note: (1) Torque in 2 steps: First step 75-88 Nm (55-65 ft-lb) Second step 88-97 Nm (65-72 ft-lb)

If your building an expensive engine with all new parts I would replace all of the bolts.

Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:40 pm
Ford did start using torque to yield bolts around that time. Remember to use sealer on the short bolts as they penetrate the water jacket. I think the max torque is about 70 ft-lbs for stock, oil-lubed bolts.

Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:09 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks for the replies. The parts guy told me the flanged bolts are torque to yield but I can't find anything online that tells me this is the case for this year of motor.
Looks like I may have borrowed a nifty tool from Zilla and everything to do the torque to yield.
I have new bolts, sealer already on them.
Brett

Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:13 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Usually torque to yield bolts are tightened with a tq. spec the first step, then will be tightened 90 deg or whatever that specific bolt is required. I dont think yours are torque to yield but just two sequences of tightening.

an example of the difference would be with an early generation Ford 3.8l as you would tighten them bolts to 65 ft lbs (if I remember right) then you would tighten them 90 deg in sequence, then again another 90 deg in sequence. And they always are new bolts or the heads will not get properly torqued.

I find this kind of stuff fun to learn about. Like a good engine builder will use a stretch gauge to measure the exact amount the bolt is tightened before it reaches its limit. This is something done when building a high performance engine and not hardly ever done when building just a re-manufactured engine.

Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]