[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Fuel pump noise help
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 1:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 Fuel pump noise help 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Fuel pump noise help
Swapped out my fuel pump at the shop day Saturday. I'm now getting a clack-clack-clack-clack noise from either it or right near it under the timing cover as diagnosed using a piece of tubing as a stethoscope. Truck is running fine, so it is moving fuel. Any ideas on what it is or how to start diagnosing it?

Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:45 pm

Post Re: Fuel pump noise help
Sounds like the cam ecentric for the fuel pump.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:41 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Lame. Can that be inspected just by taking off the fuel pump, or does the whole timing cover need to be removed?

Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:47 pm
You might be able to see part of it with a small inspection mirror and a flashlight.

Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:55 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

What should I look for? I've never seen one. From the google research I've been doing, it sounds like it should be a round thing mounted to the end of the cam and made out of what appears to be stamped steel.

Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:57 pm
That's it.

Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:46 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Bugger. OK, thanks. I'll pull the fuel pump and see what I can see. Is there any sense to putting the old one back in to see if the noise goes away?

Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:49 pm

Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:17 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

justin try loosening the mount bolts and see if it changes maybe it just needs shifted a little , i would also try pulling it out without disconnecting the hoses .

Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:01 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:05 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Will do as soon as I have a couple of minutes to tinker with it. Thanks for the tips. The sound it makes sounds like it isn't constantly in contact with the lever than moves the pump internals. Here's hoping that fixes it. My non-Ford brother in law did the actual install while I was working on the steering. I wonder if the eccentric was in whatever position activates the pump and it needs to be shifted up a little.

Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:31 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

My buddy had his eccentric come off and left his truck stranded. PO rebuilt the motor and forgot to tighten that eccentric down. Anyway while you have the pump off, make sure that eccentric is good and solid on the cam.

J.D.

Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:08 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I appear to have fixed it. Got some time to swap back to the old fuel pump, solved the problem. I'm curious to see if the pumps were somehow different or if I got a bad pump from Napa. The arms look the same when held up next to each other, but my eyes make lousy calipers. Napa double checked the part number against one off the old part, so I think that is OK. Bummer that it was such an easy fix since it kept me from going camping tonight.

Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:20 pm
At least you now have a trail spare.

Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:57 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I had a vague memory of this issue about 20 some years ago. What I seem to remember was the new fuel pump had a different pump lever that was not the correct angle for my 302. I do not remember if it was a bent lever or if it was a manufacture defect in the new pump. for all we know it could have been installed incorrectly (bent the lever) by someone else, didn't work then returned (back then returns were resold and not sent back unless they had visual or known problems)

I am glad you figured it out. How is the bumper looking? Did you get your gear box straightened out?

Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:29 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'm wondering if it is something like that. The noise it was making would be consistent with the eccentric smacking the lever instead of it traveling the full circumference. I took a look at it with a mirror and it looked OK, so I think it is good. Had it out driving around this morning with no problems. The bumper looks exactly like it did when I left Greg's shop-haven't had a chance to do the finish work on it yet. I'm hoping to today. Got the PS box taken care of no sweat. Its working great and I love it!

Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:36 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Good to hear you figured it out Justin. Did you try to operate the pump by hand to see if the pump arm is hanging up?

I know back in the 70's the 460's that came in vans and motorhomes used a different fuel pump than the 460's in pickups. A real pain in the arse when you needed a van pump while on the road and all auto part stores typically carried only pickup pumps in stock.

Spiritual owner of the now Zoso mobile (1974 Bronco Ranger - EFI 351W-4R70W-ARB front and rear-STC softtop- High Country hood-3 1/2" WH lift- Cross inboard rear shock mnt- Duffs bumpers- Warn 8274- 33's- Cheby disc conversion)

Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:37 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I haven't, but will try. Thanks for the suggestion. Weird about the pickup/van fuel pump thing. I've never gotten why companies do stuff like that.

Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:04 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Yeah, vans and trucks use a lot of different external parts. Water pumps also, if you got a water pump for a van and put into a pickup, it will be turning backwards. dont ask me how I know, LOL Fuel pumps and other various external parts are different because of how the location of the accessories have to be mounted and various other reasons.

Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]