[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Prepping metal for paint
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Prepping metal for paint 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Prepping metal for paint
Will be rattlecanning my rear bumper in the next few days. I'd like to get a fairly smooth paint job and cover the grinding marks (went over the deep stuff with 120 grit pad already), welding blems, etc. Bunch of questions:

1. I'm planning on using a self etching primer then sanding, can I use the same primer to lay down a second coat after sanding?
2. Do I need to grind the surface down to bare metal, or will a good cleaning with thinner and then a tack rag do the trick?
3. I may also pull my front bumper and paint it to match. Anything I need to do beyond scuffing the old paint up?
4. I'm planning to use a little bit of body glazing to fill some tiny spots in the welds. Anything that would work better?
5. Anything else I should know?

Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:05 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Prepping metal for paint
Sand with 220. Wear rubber gloves so oils from your hand don't get on the metal. Use a paint prep product like Eastwood PRE to clean off all the oils and dirt. I have a can and happy to bring it when I grab the receiver hitch this week.

Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:09 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I would prep it as Entourage and Zillacon mentioned, but I would get some spot putty to fill in any imperfections you do not like, then primer and wetsand. I don't like painting raw metal without primer first. Depending on how nice you want it to look you can wetsand 220, 320, 400,600,800,1000 etc etc etc (as much as needed), then tack it dry then paint.

Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:52 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Charcoal lighter fluid works great if your in a pinch for a grease/wax skin oil remover.

Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:44 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

If you are the smartest person in the room -
You are in the wrong room

Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:02 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

My bumpers look pretty good but could have used more sanding to take care of a couple of burrs and tinny balls of weld I found in a couple of places. I would say that a good sanding, a wire brush and primer like Zilla suggested, would be more than sufficient.

I am hoping that someone tries the spray Hammer finish - it think the grey/black would look awesome. I almost used it on my rear seat mount, but it would have shown so it seemed silly to spend $8.00 per can instead of $5.00.

Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:28 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Hockey, I used some small amounts of glazing putty to fill some minor imperfections. I'll let you know how it holds up. Chad, I think Greg used the hammered finish paint on their bumper. Looked good. I went with straight semi-gloss so I could put stickers on it if I ever wanted to.

Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:59 am
Zilla used the hammer paint on his tcase and it looks really good.

Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:01 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Greg, the glazing putty shouldn't fall out, bondo shouldn't either, the correct way to appply is to a very coarse section and in small amounts, large areas that are filled with more than 1/4" or more will typically start to sepperate from the metal over time, but with a bumper like this, if he fills the imperfections in the metal, its just tiny spots here and there that need filled.

Does that make sense? LOL

Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]