[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Ignition module
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 1:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Ignition module 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Ignition module
Ok all you bronco gurus. We are having an issue. We replaced the whole harness with a new to us harness (actually we did it twice but that is another much longer story...). The new harness seems to be right in every way except just one. At the ignition module it does not clip in. the connectors are different. We spliced in the connectors from the original harness. The motor turns over but will not fire. But even worse, those wires get very hot. Our assumption is that we have a bad or incorrect module. I ordered a new one from advance but it its way wrong. It has 2 connectors one with 4 wires the other with 2. Our harness, both of them have a 4 and 3 wire connectors. Does anyone know the part number for the correct module?

HaveI mentioned lately how much I "love" wiring?

Thanks in advance for all your help

If you are the smartest person in the room -
You are in the wrong room

Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:03 pm
Post Re: Ignition module
'74, '75 and '76 and later (duraspark II) used different modules and had different harness wiring to match. Your new harness will probably use the '76 and later module. You can do some creative re-wiring to make the earlier module work but it probably isn't worth it.

Module
1974 SSI – Black insulator, 7 wires, Napa # MPE TP35SB
1975 SSI – Green insulator, 7 wires, Napa # MPE TP36SB
Duraspark II – Blue insulator, 6 wires, Napa # MPE TP40SB

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:04 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks Phil, that is exactly the info I needed. Ordered the correct part for Drew's little pony and with any luck at all, tonight we will drive it out of the garage and Cheri can have her parking spot back.

Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:47 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Ya get it fingered out Greg?

Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:03 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

No go! New module, no fire. Cranks and turns over but no spark. So now I have a brand new module, new correct harness from the hut, and still no spark.

I am out of ideas. We recruited a few of the neighborhood teenagers and moved it to one side of the garage. There she will rest while I regroup. Probably get back on it saturday morning or all day sunday. If any of you electrical guru types want to join in, I can promise you some good food. Cheri is an amazing cook. Bronco is at home, not the shop for a change.

Thanks

Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:13 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:44 pm
Checkout the stator resistance and voltages at the module plugs.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:42 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

That stator may have gone kaplut when the other module was hooked up. Or just went bad from fatigue. Put that test lamp on that coil terminal when cranking and it should flicker. Negative side of coil to distributor.

Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:09 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Here is an idea of what the stator/pickup looks like with a link to the place I found it, Individual distributors vary internally but they all have this with an electronic ignition in Early Fords.
http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/?p=25

Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:10 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

http://home.earthlink.net/~rcfaulconer/ ... rk/eec.htm
Here is our type of ignition system
duraspark II

Hope this helps

Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:12 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Imageand yet another one

Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:13 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Ok, I quit, I give up. I just do not get it. Time for "guru" help. I have replaced.the whole harness, I have replaced the module, coil, stater and I don't know what all else. No spark. None, nada, zilch, zero..

When I turn the key "on", I have a weak power to both sides of the coil, when cranking it is full on hot on both sides. I am out of ideas. Anyone else want to throw down with the wiring on Drews little pony? I am thinking evenings this week out next saturday.

Thanks gents,

Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:54 pm
The ignition resistor wire is burnt. Or is that new too?

Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:58 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Its new too. Purchased a complete harness from the hut.

Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:47 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Greg, I have a couple dizzys laying around and a ignition box and stuff. You can part them out & use what you need. I would be willing to come teach you some new words while wrenching if you want. Im working in the Ranch this week , where abouts are you?

Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:58 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:32 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed. Works good for me. What time will you be ready to do it ?

Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:55 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I don't know, I am tentatively scheduled to install a windshield in RTreads bronco Weds after work, but I do not know what time that is for him. He is in the ranch as well, and it should not take to long. I will let you know as soon as I do.

Thanks

Greg

Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:39 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Any news? I have an exam tomorrow then a wedding on Saturday, Could come by after that if your still stuck.

Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:53 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Nope, no good news or progress, just not much time th these days once hockey starts. I am free to work on broncos saturday, but I promised Frankie I would work on his with him at the shop. I will be done early on his, the boys have home coming so I have to be home to take the requisite photos...

So saturday early evening will probably work. Dash is back together and in. tail lights are done, just need to make it run and tidy up.

Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:19 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I have a wedding and 2 ppl want to take a look at the mustang. If there is time left afterwords then I will see if I can make it. I also have to swap a radiator out in my truck sometime this weekend. Well get it handled soon.

Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:16 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

No rush, I will be at the shop most of the day tomorrow anyway. And dans mustang sta rter is acting up again

Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:42 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Any new news?

Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:34 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Oh yes, just tonight got er fired up. Turns out the new harness is a 75, instead of the 74 I ordered.... Just needed the correct module. Now just need to tidy everything up.

Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:48 pm
The '74 and '75 harnesses are both one-year wonders.

Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:53 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Oh it gets better than that, mid year 74 ford switched to "breakerless" ignition, which means electronic, so there are actually 3 harnesses for 74 and 75. I know, I installed all the wrong ones.

but thanks to some good expert help from shawn, we finally got er fired up last night

Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:17 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Last edited by Shawns Fords on Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:11 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

That was not expert help from me. I had to figure out all of that stuff too. If I was an expert I would have known this 3 weeks ago. LOL

Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:12 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Spiritual owner of the now Zoso mobile (1974 Bronco Ranger - EFI 351W-4R70W-ARB front and rear-STC softtop- High Country hood-3 1/2" WH lift- Cross inboard rear shock mnt- Duffs bumpers- Warn 8274- 33's- Cheby disc conversion)

Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:45 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next