[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Front end noise *Solved!
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 5:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 Front end noise *Solved! 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Front end noise *Solved!
I know it's tough to troubleshoot a noise over the internet but here goes. Got to take the Bronco out for a spin around the block a few times today for the first time in a couple month and man was it awesome burnout I noticed though that when I take my foot off the gas I can hear a constant noise in the front end. It sounds like a metallic rubbing noise almost like worn brakes would but it's there when I'm not on the brakes. Also I checked the pads on the fronts while it was up on stands and they looked like they were in great shape. It sounds like it's coming from a rotating part like maybe axle or wheel bearing possibly? If anyone has any ideas of where I can start the troubleshooting process I'd really appreciate the advice.

Last edited by Dukietown on Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:35 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Front end noise
Glad to hear it is back on the road.

Look at the axle tube dust shield on the axle.

They sometimes get bent and rub on the end of the axle tube.

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:48 pm
Hubs locked or unlocked? Does the sound change either way?

Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:00 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Hubs unlocked, I didn't think to try locking them and throwing it in 4wd to see if it makes any difference. I'll also check the dust shields and see if braking makes any difference to it. Thanks guys!

Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:04 pm

Could be a bad bearing in the rearend. Dry u joint.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:13 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Pulled the front wheels and the dust shields look ok. I couldn't see anywhere that looked like they'd been bent or were rubbing.

The noise is there with the hubs locked or unlocked, in 2H or 4H. It's still there with or without any level of braking up until you come to a stop.

I don't know if it's relevant or not but I think the rear brakes are near shot. I have 0 emergency/parking brake and quite a bit of pedal travel. The pads on the front look like they have quite a bit left but I haven't opened up the rear drums yet.

Anything else it might be or anything else I can check for?

Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:56 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Have you confirmed the noise is from the front, as in have someone else drive your bronco while you listen from the outside?

Since it happens weather in 2 or 4WD and with or without the hubs locked, I'd look at your wheel bearings since they are working on all those conditions. See if you can narrow it down to one side.

Dana 30 diagram:

Dana 44

Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:19 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Check the inside of your rims, my (brake) dust shields were bent a little and were rubbing the rim. It didn't show on the dust shields, but I've got a ring machined into my rim about 1/2 way between the inside edge & the mounting surface.

Edit: I also remember when I installed my F150 brakes about 10 years ago, my Haynes manual showed the assembly in the wrong order. Since I got my parts via UPS, I never saw the parts assembled. I think the spindle & the dust shield were reversed in the diagram, and it made my shield rub on my rim, like a bent shield.

Chad

Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:15 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Hmmm that may be where I went wrong, I checked the shields to be rubbing the rotor but didn't look at the wheels. I'll double check that.

I've not confirmed it's from the front but as I'm driving, it sounds like front passenger side. I'll see if I can have someone come drive it and see if I can verify where it's coming from.

Thanks guys!

Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:18 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I would do as previously stated for checking and rechecking. But focus on those rear brakes that are shot. I used to have a hell of a time locating noises until I took a Noise Vibration Harshness course through FoMoCo and began picking up sounds a lot more effectively and also learned how sounds can resonate to the front or back. I am sure once you get started on the rear brakes (check your front wheel bearings when it is in the air with wheels off <repack> and check the dust shields) youll find it the noise. Sometimes its a universal joint in the Axle or D shaft as well. You cant always check them just by shaking them.

Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:09 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Front end noise *Solved!
Sean (and others) you were right about the sound resonating incorrectly. I had the right side but it was in the rear and definitely brake related. I had my girl drive down the block while I walked next to it and heard some pretty awful noises coming from the rear passenger side. Jacked it up and pulled the drum and all of this came tumbling out:

Here's a shot of whats still in tact
Missing just a couple things lol

The funny thing is nothing looks broken at all and the drums still look and feel like they're in good shape. no major grooves or gouges.

Definitely explains the poor braking and lack of e-brake. banghead
This will be fun to puzzle piece back together. I keep telling myself "it's a good learning experience" lmao

Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:22 am
My guess is it wasn't put together well. That shoe retainer spring and pin shouldn't have come apart. Looks like the shoes are backwards too. Long lining goes in rear.

Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:09 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Good news, I guess. I had a 79 F250 that had a constant ringing while driving down the road. One day, a drum split in 2 pieces, it had been machined through by the corner of a brake shoe that was not in the drum correctly. The ringing I heard was the shoe rubbing on the drum. Although the rears aren't as important as the fronts, let me tell you, having a drum fail doesn't leave you with much for brakes. Glad it didn't come to a disastrous end.

Chad

Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:39 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Make sure you replace/rebuild those wheel cylinders too. The one in the photo appears to be leaking.

Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:59 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Gonna replace the wheel cylinders on both sides. The boots were torn and they were full of mud and all kinds of crap. I looks like something isn't quite right with the parking brake. I think the cable either isn't long enough with the lift or it's seized up somewhere. The parking brake arm pulled forward and knocked off the auto adjuster arm which loosed the spring and allowed the adjuster screw to fall out as well. Thinking I might order up some new cables and see if it fits right. I just can't seem to get the arm to sit all the way back where it needs to be.

Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:22 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Here's a diagram of how it goes back together, but you'll have to mirror for the right side.

Also, the tool on the left is worth it's weight in Gold for resetting those springs:

J.D.

Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:52 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks for the pics, I got it figured out with the Haynes manual. Going to order extended parking brake cables, wheel cylynders and drums today. I pried the springs back on with a screw driver but I'm guessing that tool will be much easier, I'll have to pick one up.

Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:14 am
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]