[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Fluid Storage containers
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 8:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Fluid Storage containers 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Fluid Storage containers
As many of you do, I carry a stash of fluids with me in the bronco everywhere I go. They are all stored in an ammo can. I carry 1 gal of gear oil, 1 gal of 50/50 antifreeze a few quarts of motor oil, power steering fluid, brake fluid, etc.

My issue is that twice now, I have had the plastic jugs fail and leak inside the ammo can. And being the sealed container the can is, I don't notice until I get back in there for something. I have had one gear oil and one antifreeze bottle split on me. Are there cheap metal or at least more beefy plastic containers I can store these liquids in that would handle trail abuse? Ideally, they would be about the same size of the original containers so that they will still fit nicely in my ammo can. Filling my spare electrical components with oil or antifreeze can't be good on them and can make them useless as spares.

Any ideas?

J.D.

Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:42 pm
Post Re: Fluid Storage containers
I've seen some tupperware-like kitchen containers that work well. Rummage through the cupboards and see what you can find.

Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:12 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You tryin' to get me killed? LOL

Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:14 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I use old rectangular juice bottles. They wedge between the cage and the inside of the rear quarter really well!

Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:08 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Get ya some foam or the like to jam in the can and take up the extra space so they don't move around.

Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:12 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

rtreads, you have a picture of what you are talking about?

69Bronco - That is something to try as well. If even to simply cushion them a bit. Will have to be somewhat dense as those bottle are fairly heavy for the footprint they have.

J.D.

Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:10 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The best fluid container can be had at Costco.

Get the twin pac gallon sized apple juice.

It is a really thick see through bottle with a built in handle and a nice threaded cap.

I haven't found a better one yet.

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:34 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I like apple juice!! LOL! I think I know what you're talking about. Do they seal well after opened? IIRC they seem to have a similar footprint to the gallon oil jugs too, allowing them to fit in my ammo can.

J.D.

Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:38 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:41 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

This is what I am trying to replace:

Both antifreeze and oil are the same bottle.

Also carry and empty one of these to get the oil into the diffs:

Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:51 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

This?

Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:52 am

Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:25 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:47 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:57 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

This is what I use. It's big enough to carry more than a quart, but not too big to store. I jam it between the cage and the inner quarter panel. Behind the seat, or in the quarter behind the wheel well.

....ok so I need to learn how to upload photos from my iPhone...

Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:42 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Just saw 1+ gal plastic gas cans at Wal Mart for $6.50 each. Squat, squareish w/ spout.

Just a thought.

Chad

Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:32 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:53 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

In the auto department.

Chad

Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:02 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I wonder how hard it would be to seal the ammo can with something like POR15's floor pan kit? maybe you could eliminate the jug if the can was sealed up and you just filled the ammo cans with the fluids? one for gear, one for engine, one for trans etc etc etc...

I guess it would depend on how your ammo can's lid opens. Need a good seal around the lid of course, but if it is sealed to not leak then you wouldnt need the jug.

Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:01 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

It's sealed now. I never know I have a leak until I go digging in it. I wouldn't be opposed to filling the cans with the liquids, but they would have to be much smaller than the one I have so as not to take up all the storage room in the bed of the bronco. I'd prefer to use some sort of jug for ease of pouring tho.

J.D.

Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:32 am
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]