[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Anyone have advice for york OBA with en explorer serp set-up
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 1:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Anyone have advice for york OBA with en explorer serp set-up 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Anyone have advice for york OBA with en explorer serp set-up
So I have recently acquired a. Your compressor and a air dryer. I have a 5.8 with mustang efi and an explorer serpentine set-up.

My question is does anyone have any knowledge/ advice on installing one in my system. I don't really know much about how do get this system running. I was planning on using the stock explorer ac location for a second alternator for an onboard welder.... I still need to find a small case, externally regulated, high amp alternator if anyone know of such a model?

Please offer your advice as to how to get this up and running.

Thank You!

Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:03 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Anyone have advice for york OBA with en explorer serp se
Here is a great site about using York pumps for OBA.
http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/yorkair.html

The trick for the Explorer set up will be fabing a bracket that will hold the York pump in line with your serp system. Or running a V-belt off one of the Explorer parts, that will require a combo pulley something like this:
http://www.kilbyenterprises.com/pulleys.htm
They have lots of stuff for OBA, but the stuff is pricey. Probably lots could be found at the salvage yards much cheaper. I'll watch to see what you come up with. This is one reason I think I'm just going to use the heads & EFI off my Explorer motor & keep my front the same, I've got too much money & time wrapped up in my OBA, water pump & new alternator. All would be obsolete on an Explorer motor.

Chad

Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:25 pm

www.broncoair.com has some combo pulleys that may work to convert it to serp/v-belt.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:45 am

Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:37 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:48 pm
He has an explorer serp belt. Looks something like this.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:25 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks for posting that pic Phil!

The area he has shown in the picture above is where the explorer ac pump mounts. This is where I want to mount a small case, externally regulated, alternator for use as an onboard welder. I was looking today at the possibility of laying the york on it's side on to top of everything else in the middle. This would make working on it a PITA but it might be my only option?

Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:31 pm
You can always drive a compressor off a PTO. Might affect ground clearance though.

Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:02 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

...ya I don't want to do that. I was also thinking of running it facing the other way, pulley toward the rear, since you can spin them either direction. I could mount it vertical between the battery and the radiator. But that is where the tension pulley is???

I am still trying to come up with a small alternator. I hope someone has a bright idea here. I don't think many guys in the club have a welder, and it would add value to club trips.

Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:33 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Yorks don't require much maintenance, so as long as you can check and fill the oil somewhat easily, you shouldn't need to worry about it much. I need to check the oil in mine, but I filled it years ago and haven't given it a second thought since. It is big and might block a lot of things under it, but a belt is simple to remove and then hopefully you can simply unbolt the compressor from your fabricated bracket and work on what you need to.

J.D.

Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:23 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Could you double up the alternators on that side? Replace the primary alternator pulley with the combo pulley and run a v-belt from there to the welder alternator? Then run the york compressor in the stock A/C location?

Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:40 am
How about moving the PS reservoir to the inner fender, mounting the 2nd alternator where the AC bracket is and mounting the compressor on it's side above the 2nd alternator. You would need to use a combo (serp+v belt) pulley on the 2nd alt and drive the compressor with the v-belt.

Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:55 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:19 pm
Heater hose isn't oil resistant. Should be able to find 5/8" hydraulic hose locally.

Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:46 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

...that explains the soft hose...

Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:00 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I put an pump from an Asto Van on my with remote reservoir. I am pretty sure that line is 5/8" if you want me to research what year. how long do you need?

J.D.

Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:34 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I have the brackets built and only need a few more parts for my project. I will post some soon! I have mounted a second alternator, for use as a welder ( thanks Phil on the wiring of it) and a York compressor. I think I will try using my 2x6" 1/4" wall rock skis as tanks before I mount another tank. Any thoughts on if that is enough stored air?

Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:34 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

If you can plumb your sliders together, it should be a fair amount of storage. I wish I had sealed mine up!

J.D.

Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:47 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I was thinking of this too. And this is where I will start. But I think they will hold only 1.25-1.5 gallons each. I have never had an on board tank,but that doesnt seam like much.

Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:03 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

It's easy to find out. Calculate how long they are and the inside dimensions. We can calculate the gallons from there. 100 cu. inches is .4329 gallons.

Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]