[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Motor keeps dying on me
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 11:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
 Motor keeps dying on me 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Motor keeps dying on me
Ok, it used to be very infrequently (say once a month or so) but has happened three times today already

It seems to be an electrical issue as it dies without any stumble or advance warning. Doesn't seem to matter if engine is cold or hot.

I can slap it in neutral, fire it right back up first attempt, slap it back in gear and go.

I haven't tested a darn thing so I am hoping that a guru or two will tell me what the most likely cause is so I can replace the part before Saturday.

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:59 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Motor keeps dying on me
Have you looked at the power wire on the ignition? If it's loose in any way it can do that. You are still carb'd right? What about looking in the dizzy to see if the condenser wire is still screwed down. Push the coil wire back on nice & tight on both the coil & distributor cap. Check the connections on the ground cable on your battery. Make sure that both battery cables are in good shape. Try those.

Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:36 pm
Does anything else die (radio, gauges, etc) when the engine quits? If not it wouldn't be a battery cable or ignition switch problem.

Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:41 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

What type of ignition system is in it? Does it have an electric fuel pump? Does it get more frequent when it is hot outside or cooler? I would check all connections as previously stated before going any further.

Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:55 pm

Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:58 pm
Checkout the ignition harness connectors. It's common for them to crack.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:26 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:31 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

It's your rig telling you to put that damn EFI in spit

Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:18 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:49 pm

I'd check all the conections on the ignition switch. And all the connections on the duraspark system. My bronco just up and quit one day and what the issue was actually too much dialectric grease in one of the connectors.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:04 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Check your rubber fuel lines for any leaks, if it is sucking air in through a line you wont even see a leak, but it sucks in air when driving, dies then will restart once stopped. Just another thing to check.

Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:03 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Please keep the suggestions coming...........

Given that I have been fooling around under the dash installing CB radio, upgrading wiper switch, and cig lighter......I am thinking the ignition switch wiring could be the culprit.

I checked the connections and they are all tight but maybe a fragile wire is giving up the ghost.

Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:41 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:53 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:56 pm
The pdf I posted above will give you some things to check out.

Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:08 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:32 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Check your plug wires too, make sure they aren't grounding out against your headers or something. That's a shot in the dark as it seems you are pretty well handled, but easy to check.

J.D.

Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:17 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

UPDATE:

I haven't had time to do any testing of the wiring, etc other than to ensure that wiring connections are tight.

Happened again this morning when I left the house.........was only going 10 - 15 mph, engine cold (but running smooth as always), and it died.

This time I didn't slap it in nuetral or try to restart.

I looked to make sure the dash lights and heater fan were working and suddenly it fired back up on it's own.

It was 1 - 2 seconds max between dying and restarting.

Any more ideas with this new information ?

Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:01 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Really sounds electrical. Got to be ignition related.

Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:08 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

My first thought is ignition related too. I'm gonna think out loud for a few so bear with me.....
What about the starter solenoid? Have you ever replaced that? If a coil goes bad (I've never had one go out) it won't keep firing up, but if the starter solenoid goes out, sometimes it will cut in and out. A rap on it with a screwdriver handle sometimes takes care of it. I would say it has to be a loose wire somewhere. Check both the + & - wires on the coil to be sure the connection is good. It has been so long since I have had electrical issues, I forget what to look for and where to start

Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:15 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Good news is that with a carb motor, there isn't nearly as much to track down and trace.

Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:22 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:18 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

just a thought i don't know if you have thought of it but i once had someone put some trash in fuel tank it would run fine tell the piece of hard plastic would suck down over outlet motor would die i would turn key off to restart it would float up and would start right back up took me almost a year to figure that one out. good luck!

Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]