[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Landsharks 69er Bought not built project
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Landsharks 69er Bought not built project 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Landsharks 69er Bought not built project
well after about 4000 or so miles the throw out bearing finally gave up the ghost and barfed its bearings out at the bottom of the inspection plate. I will have to pull the transmission off to see what caused it but i suspect its engaged just a bit too far and finally gave up.

I guess my two options are to cut and weld the fork so it angles back just a bit... or put a spring on the other end of the fork to pull it back off the clutch pressure plate. I am favoring the cut and weld option right now.

Any other ideas? The dodge bearing which i used (i think), seems like its the better option of the two to try as its thinner. I will check it against the other throw out bearing I bought...

Other than the throw out bearing its been a great swap so far. Consistently getting 14+ MPG, easier shifting and much easier on me and the Bronco when driving long distances.

I was about to pull it into the garage to fix the rear ARB as its leaking and suspect that its the seal housing or seals... have a feeling the line was installed short and not allowing the seal housing to move - which i guess its supposed to so will kill two birds with one stone ;)

Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:25 pm

How has that clutch fan worked out for ya this year?

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:56 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Is there anyway to find out how much contact is occurring? If it's tenths off mm or less than a mm maybe you could machine the the engagement arm or bearing contact surface. Not that I don't like cutting and welding stressed components, but I wonder if the engagement arm is strengthened by one of many processes.

Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:10 am

I use a spring on my car to keep the throw out bearing off the PP.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:31 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:17 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I pulled the transmission and swapped in the dodge throwout bearing. The old throw-out bearing basically disintegrated into its basic pieces. It looks like there was quite a bit of heat generated which could mean it didn't like riding the pressure plate all the time but as pointed out I think the clutch fingers also had a role to play. I would need CSI to really find out what went wrong as there wasn't too much left as you can see from the pics.

The new dodge bearing is a bit thicker and it does ride the pressure plate quite a bit. I drilled a couple of holes in the fork while I had it out and plan on putting a spring to back off the bearing slightly. It only needs 1/8" or less to stop it from riding the pressure plate all the time.. should help.

Crossing my fingers as its not easy to stuff that zf back in an early bronco with a 400, takes some creative engine strapping to tilt things..

Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:57 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Just be glad you don't have a stupid internal slave cylinder to deal with, the one I replaced is already leaking.

Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:10 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:23 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:07 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:46 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

It was from NAPA, made in USA with a 1 yr warranty. I won't say a external swap isn't possible. And when I drop it this time I will likely convert it over.

Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:02 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks,

And build a couple extra external slave cylinders while you are at it. I bet you could sell a few.

Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:42 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:58 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

If I wasn't already worried about finishing my project before it gets too cold, I might take some time to work on that. I'm going to drop in a stock one, and hope someone figures a swap, before mine goes bad.

Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:00 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:19 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I pulled the center section and found it just like this

Oh boy... talk about lucky.. lucky i had an ARB that acted as a warning before the ring gear exploded... that was the only bolt that had backed out but they are all loose. Pulled three none had thread locker on em...

already have the parts to repair so will start on that tomorrow - along with adding some red thread locker in the mix this time ;)

Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:45 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Is that another fine installation of expensive parts by the PO ?

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:26 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:01 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:58 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Off to repaint and rust treatment!

Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:55 pm

Going to keep it red?

Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:24 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Yup. Same color.

Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:26 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Nice! Who is doing it? Want to get mine done at some point.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:24 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Bronco has been repainted and sitting while I finish my garage build. Final inspection should be done this week but I snuck in and started working on stuff for the Baja bronco adventure in may.

Swapping in a new to me dash, cut out the speaker and ashtray, filled In stock radio and dash light holes.

A bit more grinding then fill and paint. Moving the speakers in the current dash into some fiber glass door panels.

I am way behind in prepping the bronco for Baja so hopefully have it in the new garage next week.

Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:31 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Finished welding and grinding. A little primer then scuff and filler to make it less wavy ;). Then more primer scuff and paint. Going back to gloss black with a clear so expect it will show imperfections but these dashes were never perfect anyway! Will be better than what I have now.

Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:53 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Filled in the low spots, cut two new holes for usb and power point, primed, painted and gloss coat. Unfortunately a few dog hairs ended up in it so will have to sand and touch up in a few days. On to the next thing!

Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:11 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Looking good.

Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:23 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Built a box with 40" locking rails, will seal and paint it. I bought 1/8" rubber matt for the top which i will glue down and then mount the box where the harness rings were in the bed of the bronco. Should hold most if not all spare parts and fluids for the Mexico, need to figure out a drawer front to seal it from the dirt and dust.

IMG_3771.jpg

IMG_3774.jpg

IMG_3776.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:33 pm

Hey great idea.... I love mine. Sure makes it easy to have all your tools and stuff in there when camping. It kept me from empting the bronco on my Ouray trip when the fan died on me.

Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:51 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

That looks like it will work well!! For a seal, I wonder if stapling down some sort of rubber/neoprene flat around the perimeter would do it?

My advice is to take brand new *unopened* fluids. And to try to keep them from rubbing together or even on the floor. I carry fluids in an ammo can, and more than once I've had bottle get rub holes and leak, or just leak because of an off camber situation or something. While contained in the ammo can, it's still a mess. I think the two issues were antifreeze (rubbed thru) and gear oil, which I think never re-sealed, but my memory is foggy.

Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next