[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Diesel Options
It is currently Thu Oct 03, 2024 9:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Diesel Options 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Diesel Options
I was wondering if anyone has done a diesel transplant other then Kinder. The BSD build page is awesome by the way. I have been entertaining the idea of an Isuzu 4BD2T (NPR engine) or a 4BT for milage reasons since my bronco is my daily driver. I don't think anyone is getting better milage with an EFI 5.0L but, I could be wrong, let me nnow if I am.

Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:28 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Diesel Options
There are a few if you search the CB.com site. As far as I know, Kinder's is the only oil burner early bronco around here.

I suggest you reach out to him and check his build out, it is pretty awesome (he might even let you go for a ride. (If I know Kinder - he absolutely will)

We installed a 4.9l inline 6 out of a 95 F150 in my sons bronco. He sees 18-20 MPG on the highway with it. We are almost done putting a 4 spd in place of the auto and once it is done, you are welcome to check it out too.

Its an option (note I do not say easier option)

If you are the smartest person in the room -
You are in the wrong room

Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:52 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

av8nmech,

You're welcome to come check out BSD anytime, I live in Parker and work at Roxborough State Park in Littleton, and I even make it out to Buckley every once in a while since I have a RV spot out there.

I wish there was another diesel classic Bronco along the front range that I knew about, I would have loved to check it out before I started mine. There are a couple of 4BT swaps along the front range for sure, off the top of my head I know of a full size diesel Bronco in CO. 4btSwaps.com is a good starting point to get information on all sorts of diesel swaps, including the Isuzu motor, but I find their forum difficult to navigate and information isn't well organized.

I am extremely happy with my swap, I love driving it daily and at +20 mpg it's cheaper than my F150. I'll say that I still need to add some sound proofing to the firewall, cowl and floor pans to make it a bit more comfortable on the ears. I recently spent 4 days in it scouting for my upcoming hunting seasons and I was wearing foam ear plugs 100% of the time by day 2.

There is a good source of 4bt motors now that all of the hostess vans went to auction a few months back, but their price is a little up there. I would look at buying one that has been frame cut from the firewall forward or buying the entire truck, and make sure it's a P pump motor with a charged air cooler (CAC or commonly known as a intercooler). Most P pumped motors are later model motors that have been rebuilt within the last 10 years or so. Don't look for a "bargin" rotary pump motor from the 80's unless it has a documented recent rebuild. You can always go to: https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/index.html and check out the history of the motor with a SN or CPL.

I won't be much help with the Isuzu motor, look to the web for that, I didn't dig into that option since I had a line on a 4bt.

You'll need to solve more than the motor with a swap, the transmission and likely transfer case will need to be swapped out. You'll need to be able to solve fitment issues and fabricate up mounts and brackets. I'll hazard a guess and say I have 1000 hours of labor into mine just to get it back on the street, of course I also lengthened it a bit and I'm still working on the back doors and top.

Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:36 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks for the info guys, I've been poking around a bit and have found some documented 4bt powered broncos out there but, yeah, no other local ones. If Kinder has the time this weekend I'd love to check out his ride, I live about 4 miles south of Buckley so, not far from Parker. I've found a couple of good places to look for engines, I agree that a frame cut setup is the way to go.

Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:30 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I think Kinder nailed down what I would think is the biggest drawback to the 4BT, the noise. It's a good noise, but just a little loud, especially considering modern diesels aren't any louder than a gas motor. Maybe the Isuzu is quieter and worth a good look??

Either way, I'll bet you'll be happy with the MPG gains.

Some info I found:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/ford/239 ... ronco.html

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/ford/104 ... build.html

Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:58 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

this might be complete and total sacrilege, but a Nissan SD33T from a 1980 scout II, whole drive train might work as well if you can find a drivers side drop t case or an advanced adapters adapter for whatever tranny they come with to a Dana 20.
Scouts may be set that way to begin with for all I know. I just missed one on craigs list for 2k with a really nice shape body, it supposedly ran as well, just needed a fuel system cleanout.

it be gone now though. jawdrop

JordanR

Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:14 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:43 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

kinder

i am not an expert by any means myself, they made an SD33 and an SD33T with very little boost so I have heard. I hear that they run forever and a year and do great on the MPG scale as well. I also hear that they still use that engine as a forklift power plant, so parts might not be an issue.

the guys on the scout forums and expedition portal forum ( I think ) have figured out different ways to up the boost, just seemed like a viable alternative considering the confined spaces of the EB and the scouts, less fab I guess.

anyway, didn't mean sideswipe the thread, hope this helps the OP with a decision.

Best
JordanR

Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:30 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

That post for the 1980 scout II diesel is back up on craigslist, http://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto/4695208797.html
if anyone is interested in it.

JordanR

Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]