[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Fuel Issues
It is currently Fri Oct 04, 2024 9:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Fuel Issues 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Fuel Issues
I've pretty much retired my bronco from mountain travel after stalling in Eisenhower tunnel 2 years back due to vapor lock issues . I wanted to post my fuel set up and see if i can get some input to help with my issue. I am running a holley 350 cfm carb with the built in filter removed . Inline fuel filter fills up fine ( glass filter about 1 foot from the carb) when cold after running for awhile the filter is almost empty and surges fuel , and fuel pressure gauge fluctuates and drops to around 3 or 4 psi . i have a carter electric fuel pump mounted under driver floor board on the frame with another glass filter before it which fills up completely through out . I also have the 23 gal rear fuel tank . Bronco doesn't actually stall in town but gets kinda jumpy at red lights.

Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:49 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Fuel Issues
Sounds like a perfect reason to go fuel injected :)

Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:56 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

what he said ^^^^ is without a doubt the best option but, a heat shield under the carb, or phenolic spacer may easily cure your vapor lock woes. as well as shielding the fuel line.

Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:06 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

x2 on the phenolic or wood spacer as a starting point. Check your fuel lines-are they near the exhaust?

Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:13 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Dual exhaust?

Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:19 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I have chased this problem a lot in my short time running my Bronco. Some of the things you may consider if you don't go EFI (I have decided I am done trying to chance the vapor lock and am going EFI this winter.)

- The Carter electric pump pushes fuel instead of pulling. It should be mounted as close to the fuel tank as possible.
- Make sure any fuel lines are as far from Exhaust as possible. This includes your headers. Also-- If you can run your lines as far away from your engine block prior to connecting to the carb, you will have a better chance of it not vaporizing so close to the carb.
- I have heard of people running a higher pressure fuel pump with a fuel pressure regulator closer to the carb. The higher the pressure in the line, the higher the boiling point would be (why EFI works so well.) I actually had a frankenstein experience with something like this in Moab this year. I was getting vapor lock on the one hot day we had where we were sitting and idling a lot. My mechanical pump was not doing the trick. Someone had a High Pressure pump as a spare and so we hooked that up pretty close to the fuel tank. I had it wired off of my headlight switch. Whenever it would start to stumble, I would hit the lights for about 3-5 seconds and the fuel pump would push right past the vapor and "re-prime" the line.

Hopefully you can find something that will work for you. I think EFI is the best way to go, but if that is not in the cards for you-- may want to try the above.

-Mike

Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:29 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

i am running a phenolic spacer , i do have duel exhaust i am going back to the 2in 1 system though , not to the EFI point yet here are a few pics

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:14 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Had a similar issue - ended up usinig a fuel pressure regulator with a return line. If your running one tank it 's a breeze to install if not get ready to wrangle fuel line.

Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:49 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

If it helps I also wrapped my rubber fuel lines in insulation tape, have a spacer but also like a large aluminum plate between the carb and manifold. I also bored some 2" holes in the fender wells to help circulate/ vent more air.

Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]