[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Death Wobble
It is currently Wed Oct 02, 2024 4:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Death Wobble 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Death Wobble
So yesterday my truck went into "Death Wobble" 3 times. The first two times, I was traveling about 25mph on a poor quality paved road. It would start while rounding a bend on bumpy pavement. The last time was about 45mph on a highway, but the right wheel hit a dip in the pavement.

I have looked things over and see a few problems.

First the frame is cracking, and flexing badly around the steering gear mounting points- typical. Time to plate the frame and probably do the 4x4x2 box.

Second, the passenger side radius arm is just slightly loose in the hanger. The heim misalignment (really just pieces of pipe, supplied with my arms) has a bit of slop against the bracket. Like the bracket has opened up slightly. I think this is caused by the wobble, not the original cause of the wobble. The drive side is tight.
P1020251.JPG

Finally, when turning the steering, the tie rods rotate A LOT. I've attached a video here, its most obvious starting about 25 seconds into the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwYc16w ... e=youtu.be

The TRE & DOM was installed when I went full width in March 2011. New high end Moog ball joints, wheel bearings, etc then too. I reamed the pitman arm for the drag link down through to get a better draglink/track bar alignment. The TREs and drag link ends chewed up and spit out a couple of the rubber dust boots pretty quickly. I always wondered why. I'll probably switch to a stock pitman arm when I swap the steering box, so that might not be an issue soon.

Thoughts, ideas, glaring problems?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:33 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Death Wobble
Yes to all of the above. My tie rod ends were about that bad when I did the 1.5" tube upgrade and new ones made a significant difference in how the rig drove. I'd put proper misalignment spacers in the heims if you don't have them already (I can't remember which arms you're running-Battlement?). Probably the biggest safety issue is the frame repair.

Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:38 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks,

Although I can't find my receipts, based on current prices, I'm pretty sure I bought the "premium" TRE's from Carquest when I did my C***y/DOM steering. I just thought they should have lasted longer than 3 years. Any ideas on why they have failed so quickly? I know I drive my truck a lot & a fair amount of off road, but just 3 years?

Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:17 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I found a picture from my axle swap thread, looks like I have the Pro grade Raybestos TREs. They only have a 24 month warranty, Moog has a lifetime warranty. Guess I'll get the Moog this time.

Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:24 pm

It's just the design of the system. Moog's will wear out too. Only way to get rid of it and the slop in that style steering is find a tre where the draglink will mount on top. Or get hi steer arms and run the drag link to the arm and off the tre. With the angle of the drag link on a downward slope its pushing "down" and pulling "up" with each turn of the steering. Thats where the roll comes from.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:59 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Death Wobble
I have always fought this as well chad. No matter how tight (or new) my tre's are after a few weeks they start to flop from the angles. What I have found that has helped for a while is to retighten both ends of the tres at the knuckle angling it back to help the draglink push and pull more " flat". If that makes sense. I plan on going histeer one day but right now drives pretty well.

Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:26 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Cool, thanks for the advice. I'll just add new TREs to "to do" list.

Looks like I'll be swapping to the 4x4x2 box (rebuild & drill & tap for hydro assist), new TREs, and maybe new brackets & high misalignments for my radius arm rod ends. I'll be cutting off my upper spring buckets & installing the adjustable, full width buckets and pushing the axle forward 1" or 2".

Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:08 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

2x on everything said already. The only way to get away from the wear issue on the TREs is to get the drag link level so there is not a vertical component to the forces on the tie rod link. OR come up with an anti-rotation feature on the tie rod link.

I have had limited success with tightening the TREs on the tie rod with one rotated forward and the other backwards such that the tie rod cannot rotate.

In you video, there looks to be some lateral motion between the axle housing and the frame. How are your track-bar bushings? Bad bushings would be a major contributor to death wobble.

Average 23.5 mpg, Best tank: 25.1 mpg

Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:38 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks,

I'll look at my track bar when I pull things apart. On the frame end, it is a Ruff Stuff rod end, intstalled at the same time as the TREs, axles, radius arms. The axle end still has the poly bushing that came with my lift kit. Its only been installed since 1996 so it couldn't possibly be bad, right? LOL. It didn't look bad when I swapped axles 3 years ago.

Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:41 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Check the rod end because any play is bad. It would allow the body to freely float back and forth and when it closes the gap, will act like a very high rate spring. (Think about a ping pong or golf ball bouncing rapidly between two hard surfaces.)

Average 23.5 mpg, Best tank: 25.1 mpg

Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:34 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I went to Carquest today and asked about the warranty on their TREs. It is a "lifetime" warranty so they will swap my bad ones out.

On Rockauto, they list Raybestos as a 2 year warranty. Carquest is selling the same Raybestos stuff with lifetime warranty.

Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:55 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I've got everything apart. The track bar rod end seems tight, but the jam nut was not tight.

The sloppy tie rod ends, flexible/cracked frame, and the loose track bar end I'm sure all added up to the wobble.

I'm replacing the heim joint on the track bar, high misalignment spacers to the radius arm ends, and replacing the tie rod ends & drag link ends.

Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:12 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

That is indeed the trouble with DW, it's usually a factor of many components. I've also found it easier to spot the slop in the steering with the engine off and just steering the wheel until it's too hard to do with one hand and back again. It helps a lot to have a partner steer for you, while you crawl under it and look at the system from one end (steer box at the frame) to the other (knuckles).

Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:24 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:05 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Interesting. I could see it help on end with some wear.

Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:23 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Just saw Ruffstuff came out with these.

Camera Download All Photos until 10-31-14 1279.jpg

FULL019.jpg

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/R1768.html

These are popular with the desert racing crowd, typically used on twin I beam, swing set steering. People used to make them out of regular poly spring bushings. Keeps heims from flop'n

Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:22 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

ha i was just looking at those.. pretty interesting might pick up a few to test out

Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:41 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]