[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Inserts vs Tapered
It is currently Fri Jul 05, 2024 9:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Inserts vs Tapered 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Inserts vs Tapered
I'm in the middle of doing the 1-ton TRO conversion. When I bought the kit from RuffStuff, I got the inserts for the tie-rods and the pitman arm. The inserts for the tie-rod just require drilling out the knuckles with a 7/8 straight bit and then the pitman arm requires a 1" bit.

My question is, what is better, going with a straight taper using a reamer or using the inserts?

Second question is does anyone have either the reamer or the 7/8's and 1" bits that I could borrow or would they be willing to swing by and help me get that piece take care of? I have the tie-rod all tacked up but need to get the knuckles drilled/reamed so it sits properly so I can measure for the draglink.

Thanks!

Adam

Tue May 19, 2015 8:23 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Inserts vs Tapered
Both sets I've done were reamed for taper without any problems. My plan is to leave them that way and drill for inserts if they wallow out. I don't have a reamer, but i think I have a 1" bit.

Tue May 19, 2015 8:33 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Ok, after a response on CB, I'm going to with reaming them out. Any one have a reamer they would loan out? If not, I'll order one up from RuffStuff. Was hoping to get it assembled this weekend but that is looking doubtful. Oh well, I'm close.

Wed May 20, 2015 11:15 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

When you do get a reamer - my advice is go slow... Very slow... Spinning them fast really dulls them and makes life miserable.

Thu May 21, 2015 3:14 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Good to know. I saw most have a T handle, can you do it by hand or is it just a very controlled finger on the drill?

Thu May 21, 2015 6:55 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I've only done it with an adjustable throttle drill (big one). But I think you can do it by hand. Trouble is keeping is straight is harder by hand I would think.

Thu May 21, 2015 7:23 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I think I have my reamer still it got loaned out but I think it's in my tool box. If not I can ask around who has it. I can check tonight

Thu May 21, 2015 8:27 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sweet, thanks! Let me know.

Thu May 21, 2015 9:07 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I've done it with a drill and by hand with equally good results. I'd suggest doing it with a drill as long as you've got one with very good low speed motor control. It's easier to control how much material you're removing doing it by hand, but tougher to keep the hole straight as JD mentioned. Use cutting oil to help extend the life of the reamer. It'll cut a little faster as well and be easier to use. Don't apply much pressure, as you'll get a better cut if you let the tool do the work.

Thu May 21, 2015 10:09 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Not too much pressure, but make sure you have some pressure so that it cuts not just rubs, that will dull a reamer pretty quick.

Thu May 21, 2015 3:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]