[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Cam synchro gear roll pin breaking
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 3:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Cam synchro gear roll pin breaking 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Cam synchro gear roll pin breaking
So I have a flat tappet cam on my 351 that I've converted to EFI using the cam synchro shaft and sensor from an early 2000's 3.2L F150. I have changed the gear from the steel gear to an iron gear so that it will be compatible with my iron cam. I have used a new synchro shaft from the parts store each time and each time, I can press the gear onto the shaft by hand. The OEM part requires a shop press or a big hammer to get the gear off meaning it shouldn't be that easy to take the gears off and back on on the re-man Chinese junk.

For the 3rd time, the roll pin that holds it in place has broken and I lose all oil pressure. I'm not using a high volume oil pump. I feel my best solution would be to get an OEM from a junkyard and swap the iron gear on that so there is less stress and pressure on the roll pin.

Has anyone else had this issue and found a solution? Any other ideas or suggestions on how to solve this?

Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:23 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Cam synchro gear roll pin breaking
You are correct that the sloppy fitting gear is causing the roll pin to break.

I like your resolution plan too.

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:59 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Kill 2 birds. You can make more EFI friendly power with a good roller cam.

Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:11 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:32 am
VENDOR
VENDOR

I wasn't aware of any 3.2L stuff, and you should be usning a synchro that is pre 99 on yours. Was that a typo?

If not, try a 96-98 Windstar or Taurus with a 3.8.

Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:10 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Yah sorry. The 4.2 liter was in the F150. Per Oreilly, it also cross references to the 96-98 Windstar. So my assumption is those are both one in the same. I'm 99% sure I'll end up finding the Windstar at the junkyard and use that as the donor and swap in the iron gear.

Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:41 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Just sayin...
eck.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:09 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

ImageImage

Average 23.5 mpg, Best tank: 25.1 mpg

Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:39 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

short term solution before changing to a roller cam get someone to spot weld the gear with a tig welder. Should hold until you make the swap.

Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:48 am
Profile WWW
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I made it to the junkyard today and was able to get the synchro shaft. The press fit on with the OEM is so much better. Hopefully it'll hold for a bit. For what it's worth, the one I pulled from a Windstar wouldn't go all the way in but the one from the F150 did. In fairness, I did not verify the engine that was in the Windstar so not sure if it had the 3.8L in it.

Horseplay- thanks for the suggestion. I was a little impatient and didn't feel like messing with the spot weld. I feel so much better about this OEM fit so I think it'll be better. If it breaks again before I switch to roller cam- I owe you a beer.

And just to prove to you guys I'm serious about changing out cams soon, I picked these bad boys up today...

Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:52 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Average 23.5 mpg, Best tank: 25.1 mpg

Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:43 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:07 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

It might not be a bad idea to throw a spare in the glovebox.

Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]