[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - MSV was NOT the solenoid
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 MSV was NOT the solenoid 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post MSV was NOT the solenoid
I wheeled out from MSV yesterday evening without any problems. I shut off the Bronco to say our goodbyes but when I tried to start it up again the starter didn't do anything. Short story: the Solenoid wasn't functioning. I jumped the solenoid and the the Bronco fired right up. Questions:

1. What can cause a solenoid to just stop working

2. What new solenoid recommendations do you have (part numbers :) . I don't know if its starter dependent (97 explorer with C4)

3. I read you should keep a spare solenoid in your tool box, but why do you if you can just jump the solenoid?

Thanks.

Last edited by Gregg on Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:04 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: MSV solenoid
Buy a 90's solenoid, 96 Bronco one will work fine

1. What can cause a solenoid to just stop working
- Age, heat, bad wiring, zipties

2. What new solenoid recommendations do you have (part numbers :) . I don't know if its starter dependent (97 explorer with C4)
Buy a 90's solenoid, 96 Bronco one will work fine

3. I read you should keep a spare solenoid in your tool box, but why do you if you can just jump the solenoid?
i don't know, heard the same thing and I do.

Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:22 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I have 2 words for you - neutral safety switch. Make sure it's in park or neutral. If park doesn't work, try neutral.

You don't need the solenoid with the explorer starter. It's just a convenient place to connect all the wires you need connected there. You can get by without it but then you'll need to find a way to connect everything.

Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:57 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks for those words of wisdom. Yeah I made sure I was in Park and then tried it in Neutral. As for the zipties making it fail....too many or not enough?

I was able to jump the solenoid from fond memories of the return trip from Moab. Im sure you remember the broken shift collar so I couldn't put it in gear from inside the cab...Good times.

I was going to follow this diagram for the new solenoid. seems to make sense.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:30 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Good diagram. You probably have a few more wires on the battery side so just be sure to connect them there.

Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:53 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: MSV was NOT the solenoid
I put the new solenoid in and it still didn't start (looks like I have a spare now). I had someone turn to start and i had a multi-meter on the ignition wire to the solenoid and it didn't register anything. Are there any ideas why the ignition wire isn't getting juice?

I've checked the NSS wires and they look good. I also made sure the pin holes were lined up while it was in neutral.

What would you check next?

Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:45 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:50 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

No single connector. I just unwrapped the tape and loom and tested each of the 4 connections. Here's a pic

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:04 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Nice drawing. You should be a school teacher or something.

The red-blue wire is sending current to the NSS but you isn't getting current out of the NSS to the solenoid. Either the NSS is out of adjustment or its bad.

Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:26 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:55 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You need to find me one of those cheap soft tops because it hails big here.

Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:42 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I found this. I'll look for one that fits a Bronco. I think you have a lot of choices with color: Blue, Green, Brown, or Camo.

Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:13 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Maybe just duct tape?ImageImage

Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:18 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I found some mat tape (tapes wrestling mats together). Its clear and flexible. It'll cover the holes and cracks and will look 20% better than duct tape. I'll bring it to the B-fast unless you want to make a tech day out of it.

Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:13 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:36 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]