[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Full width axle swap 76 f150
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Full width axle swap 76 f150 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Full width axle swap 76 f150
That would be awesome! How much would you charge for that?

Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:27 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Nothing. Just bring it over with a tie rod end. Your other option is to drill a straight 7/8" hole and use a tapered sleeve.

Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:46 pm

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:50 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Yes, I have your reamer.

Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:54 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Justin that would be awesome, do you think Friday or Saturday would work for you?

Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:37 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I could do Friday after work or Saturday mid to late afternoon.

Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:35 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Cool man I think either one will work for me, I will let you know.

Before I put this front axle back together I wanted to see what you guys think about my gear pattern check . Backlash is a little tight with a .005 to .006 reading.

This is the first gear set I've set up ,based on everything I've researched I think it's pretty close, but wanted to ask the experts!

These are also new gears, don't know if that matters or not

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:33 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Looks good from the pictures.

Average 23.5 mpg, Best tank: 25.1 mpg

Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:24 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I forgot to mention basically all my shims ended up being on the on the side pushing the ring gear away from the pinnion, do you think that this could result in not enough spline contact on the axle shaft the carrier is moved away from? I really hope I can get away with leaving it as I've had it apart like 7 times to get to where I'm at now

Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:52 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Well I finally had some time to get my front axle all buttoned up, ARB installed, and everything torqed down. and I have to say it was a great learning experience, pinnion pre load is 21 inch pounds and my back lash is now at .007 and carrier bearing pre load is good to so imma call it good. I have the older style ARB but upon inspection everything looked to be in great shape including the bearings so I just reinstalled it as it was (hopefully it'll be okay) anybody know if getting the marking compound off completely is super important.?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:20 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Good work! The bronco has two great styles of axles to learn on, the 9" being the easiest and the D44 being a fair bit more difficult!

As to the marking compound - you could spray it off with brake cleaner or the like, but I don't think there is a need.

You have an HD diff cover for that axle?

Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:50 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks! Ya I'm glad I decided to try it, the 9" already has the right gears so I'll just swap the whole 3rd member into the full width housing.

And no all I have is the stock one...

Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:23 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Makes sense to put one on now. I like my GLO (Great Lakes Offroad) cover.

Looks like you can now add a drain plug!

http://www.greatlakeoffroad.com/GLO-Dan ... Cover.html

Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:15 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Ya your probably right , that thing looks awesome! Want to do this right the first time... But cheaply as possible:) if anybody has a heavy duty cover they want to sell id be interested

I also really like this one from sexton...

http://sextonoffroad.com/i-7543152-d44- ... cover.html

Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:51 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

That looks really nice, but you lose the ability to weld to it if you ever decide that is a good place to weld hydraulic ram mounting tabs. I was able to mount my ram without welding to the diff cover, but it is a popular place to mount one.

Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:20 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Good point with it being cast iron, the ram doesn't stress the cover bolts too much? I would definitely like to add a ram some day

Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:02 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I much prefer NOT to weld to the diff cover for a ram mount because the back and forth pulling loosens the bolts overtime and you will likely be leaking before you snap bolts. But sometimes the geometry dictates where those brackets go.

Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:04 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Ya you would think that would be problematic after some time

Anybody have the sexton dana 44 'bronco' script cover?
If so how do you like it and does it stick out considerably father than stock?

Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:15 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Had some time to work on the bronco today, decided to get the duff offset spring towers, so I cut the old ones off. Also decided to get a new track bar bracket from ruffstuff. It will definitely need to be cut down but it will work after that I think. Hopefully cause I cut the stock one off

Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:45 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Got some time this weekend to get some work done to the front axle, basically ready to be installed under the truck,

Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:10 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Do you guys think that setting toe in would be easier with the axle out vs in?

Also big thanks to Justin for reaming out my knuckles and pitman arm for chevy tie rod conversion

Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:52 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Get it close with the axle out, but check it once installed.

Average 23.5 mpg, Best tank: 25.1 mpg

Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:46 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Stupid question. How are you going to lift the front end ?

Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:29 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Welcome. What Digger said.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:35 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I have the front supported by the tallest jack stands I could get my hands on, I was able to lower the old axle down far enough to take the pressure of the springs , so my plan was to roll the new axle underneath with two roll around floor Jacks ,one underneath each axle wedge.and then once I got it close I would jack them both up enough to put a small jack stand on each side or something to support the axle high enough to bolt the radius arms on.

...at least that was my plan... I also thought about putting the tires back on and rolling it underneath like that but it would be a lot more difficult to get around the jack stands that are holding up my frame that way

Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:17 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I've got a spare POS harbor freight trans jack the worked great to move mine around. Not sure if you ever get down this way, but you're welcome to borrow it. Dragging it also works. I was able to loft one end at a time and then have a helper put a jack stand under it.

Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:35 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Hey that's a great idea! My dad actually has a really nice tranny jack but I appreciate the offer! Also do you think if I decide to keep the axle in the stock location it would be a good idea to still move the coil towers 1" forward, or would this cause excessive coil bow? I figured if I do it this way it will make moving the axle easier in the future should I feel the need

Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:18 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Hey that's a great idea! My dad actually has a really nice tranny jack but I appreciate the offer! Also do you think if I decide to keep the axle in the stock location it would be a good idea to still move the coil towers 1" forward, or would this cause excessive coil bow? I figured if I do it this way it will make moving the axle easier in the future should I feel the need

Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:18 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I would move the axle as far forward as you can now. It won't get easier down the road. My memory is failing right now, but I think mine is forward either 2" or 3". Mine is about as far forward as you can go without moving the steering box.

Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:55 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I've moved mine forward almost 2", but had to push the new 4x4x2 box forward, right up against the front body mount (it would also be in my core support, if I still had one). I won't comment on if you should do it now, I clearly have bad judgement in that department. But you'll be moving your radius arm mounts, and shock mounts, as well as your track bar to get it all forward (now or in the future). Use your best judgement.

Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next