[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - HP fuel pump help
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
 HP fuel pump help 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post HP fuel pump help
My dad is trying to get my bronco out of storage and to his garage today. He starts up like normal and gets it a half a mile down the road and it dies. He has help to tow it back to storage (at my uncle's place). I know the LP pump is weak and was planning to replace it, but he says he's not getting anything out of the HP pump. It's an inline pump, which I assumed was stock with the '95 F250 motor donor. Perhaps not?? He checked voltage and was only getting 6v to the pump, so he jumped a 12v source and the pump motor runs, but no fuel.

I assume the pump is toast, so what are the most economical ways or replacing it? Not opposed to good used...but sometimes that makes no sense.

Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:52 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: HP fuel pump help
Can he disconnect it from the fuel tank and see if it'll draw from a can? I've had good luck in the JY with those pumps.

Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:28 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'm sure he can. It's all just rubber hose connections.

This, presumably the original pump, is also a JY unit. Perhaps I've pushed it too much knowing the LP pump has been weak for some time.

However, it seems for that year of truck, the pump was in-tank. So what should I be searching for on an external pump?

Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:32 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

E2000 Airtex pump will replace the hp pump on the frame. How well is the lp pump doing now? I like the Carter P4070 pumps.

Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:41 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks Phil! In my research I did uncover the E2000 and my plan is to go that route if it's feasible for my dad in his timeline. It appears the E2035 is the actual part number for an 86 F-150 (among many others), so I am wondering if the E2000 is a generic number? I read on Airtex's wesbite that the 2000 series was for Ford and 3000 for Chevy, 4000 for dodge or something like that.

The Holley Red needs replaced badly. And something to do with the relay having to be upright is driving me crazy too. Carter was what I was going to replace it with as well.

Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:30 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:18 am

If the HP pump is close enough to the tank you shouldn't need a LP pump to get it running. Im not running a LP pump.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:19 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Eck - Thanks! I did order the E2000, but from amazon to use my prime shipping and price was within a dollar. I also ordered the Carter P4070.

Rob - The HP pump is located just below the brake master cylinder. I could move it back easy enough, but I worry about stressing the HP pump as even the OEM setup was an LP in the tank and an HP on the frame rail.

I know I need a new fuel pump relay. Oddly enough, I found a youtube of a guy who had fuel problems on his 87 F-150. Turned out the relay had fallen out of it's holder and was lying horizontally. Once he put it back into it's holder, the truck fired right up. I experienced the same thing in Moab in 2012. So why the heck would these relays care which way they are oriented?

I have a spare in my ammo can that I take with me, but a gallon jug of gear oil ruptured and soaked that relay in oil. I don't recall if I tested it or not.

Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:14 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I would definitely relocate the HP pump further back and closer to the tank and LP pump. The LP pushes fuel and the HP pulls it. If you leave the HP close to the brake MC, that means it's pulling fuel 80% of the run. That could be a reason the other one went bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:28 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I understand what you are saying completely. But I also wonder how far the run was on the F-150's between the two tanks.

Perhaps the reason it is where it is was due to the cost of HP fuel hose??

My goal is to get it running again, so we can move forward. I'll consider moving it when I have it back in my possession. I'm contemplating a new tank as well, custom designed from Aerotanks to clear the pumpkin on the rear axle if I move it back. I may be forced down the path as my dad thinks I have a hole in my existing tank.

Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:54 am

HP hose is cheap. Run all steel lines and when hoses are needed run PTFE braided. I got my hose from ANfittingsdirect.com. I think in line and hose and fittings im about 200-250bucks.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:49 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks Rob. Will check them out!

Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:11 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:35 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I do not. I may ask my dad if he can find any on the relay.

Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:29 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:52 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Searching google for 1986 F-150 Fuel Pump relay will yield lots of results that appear to be accurate for that relay. Perhaps it is: E3TZ-9345-A

An update - My Dad took the HP pump home and hooked it to 12v. He found the leads had been arcing against each other. He soldered them to the terminals and the pump seems to suck; in a good way. So he put some marvel mystery oil in it and ran it for a second or two then took it back to the bronco, put it back on, cycled the key to prime the system and it fired right up, even in single digit temps. He got my bronco to his house 12 miles away and is already labeling and disconnecting things to prepare for open heart surgery! I just wish I were closer to help!

Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:13 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:11 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I have 2 High pressure pumps in my Bronco....One is really close to the rear tank and the other one is all the way up in my spare parts box.

Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:06 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:27 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

So I have proof!

My dad seemed to get it out rather quickly! Now for the harness, but he may have that out already as well.

Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:44 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:16 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Chad - I thought it was just me, or maybe a faulty fuel pump relay. But then when I saw that video on youtube, I couldn't believe it was happening to someone else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INGceGlaJ-Y&t=1m45s

Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:33 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Well, ok then. My plan was to hang the horn & headlight relays upside down. I guess I need to rethink that.

Thanks

Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:07 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I thought it was worth updating this thread. After having a lot of trouble with fuel pressure, I ended up replacing the E2000 with a Bosch 69100 and after a few more iterations, moved it down at the tank, eliminating the LP pump all together.

Oddly enough, I emailed Carter updating them and explaining that I though their pump ended up being a restriction in the system. He mentioned that their P4594 pump is a high performance version of the P4070, FWIW, and he might have used that instead. For me, I'm happy to eliminate one failure point in my fuel system and that it seems to be running great now. Perhaps the original E2000 would have been fine had I relocated it as well?? May never know.

Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]