[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Zf5 clutch issues help appreciated
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Zf5 clutch issues help appreciated 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Zf5 clutch issues help appreciated
So the zf swap for me has been a constant battle. I swapped it about a year ago from a guy in cheyenne. Guy said it was in great shape and the price was decent so I proceeded to take it and put it in my bronco. The clutch that I had at the time was an old 3 finger style but was bassicly brand new so I went with it. Well I had several issues on was what was supposed to be a great test drive, first off I had grinding issues on pretty much every gear. And then the clutch would grab bassicly as soon as you let up on it which is super annoying and makes it hard to shift. My uncle and I rebuilt the tranny. I also bought a new slave and master cylinder and got it all bled . Put the tranny back it and still the clutch will only disengage when completely pushed in, and grabs as soon as you release it even a tiny tiny amount. So I thought I had a clutch issue so I took it out again and put a new clutch in it, if I remember right it was for a late 80s early 90s f250 with a 5.8l . Put the clutch on , re bled the slave and line which no air came out... put it back together and STILL the clutch only releases if you push it all the way completely in, and grabs hard after letting it out the smallest amount. So in the middle of my axles swap I decided I would pull it out yet again and try to fix it. It's like the slave needs to be spaced out... something is wrong. Forgot to mention I also got a new flywheel for it for a early 90s 5.8l.

Any suggestions? Ideas? I am so frustrated with this thing and it needs to be fixed now cause I'm not going to take this thing out again unless I absolutely have to. The way it is now is super annoying and hard to shift. Not to mention hard on the clutch and the whole drive train.

Thanks

Fri May 12, 2017 8:47 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Zf5 clutch issues help appreciated

Average 23.5 mpg, Best tank: 25.1 mpg

Fri May 12, 2017 9:34 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks for the quick reply, the zf is a 92 , and I ya I did replace the clutch with an 11' for a 90s pickup with a 5.8l.
I haven't even found anything online that is similar to my issues and I am lost on what to do. Tired of throwing money at it

Fri May 12, 2017 9:53 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Also the slave and master I bought were for a early 90s pickup with a 5.8l , which should be a zf tranny the line was the original that came with the transmission

Fri May 12, 2017 9:57 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fri May 12, 2017 10:31 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Just make sure that your master and slave are from the same donor/year and you could hopefully verify the specs of each to confirm what Digger is saying on bore size. Sounds like maybe you need first to replace the pressure plate with the diaphragm pressure plate and see if that'll fix your issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fri May 12, 2017 10:57 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

For reference

Fri May 12, 2017 11:07 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

So I was wrong the zf is a 93 , the master is the newer style you described . And I did buy a new clutch for with the diaphragm style pressure plate. The master cylinder is the newer style you described with the line coming out the bottom, and the line has the gold style quick connect.

I did gravity bleed the system wheni took it out this time ,and let about 2 reservoirs of fluid run through the system ,never letting the master be able to suck air, at first alittle bit of air did come out of the bleed screw in the form of bubbles but they stopped after letting some fluid pass through. ,
If it would be easier to go buy another new slave maybe I should, the previous time I tried this I used a vacuum bleeder, a power bleeder, and the conventional way with a helper, as well as gravity and it seemed like the gravity method was the only one that worked.
My pedal isnice and firm, but I have very little throw it seems like in my master cylinder before it bottoms out.

Fri May 12, 2017 11:30 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sun May 14, 2017 8:41 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Where did you source your slave? I bought one from autozone, o'reilly etc.. and it was a bear to bleed and failed in less than a year. The next one, was perhaps from BC broncos, which I didn't have the issues with. Finally, I had my tranny rebuilt and had him get me a slave and it's been good since.

Sun May 14, 2017 11:51 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I bought all the parts at orielys ,
I assumed the same thing thinking that maybe something was getting bound up on the pedal so I actually made it adjustable, but it is still bottoming out inside the master and seems limited in travel. I will post some pictures soon. Out of town at the moment

Mon May 15, 2017 11:12 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'd start with a new slave from a reputable tranny shop or Bronco Vendor of your choosing.

Mon May 15, 2017 11:45 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon May 15, 2017 12:49 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I am just south of Platteville, also thank you I really appreciate the offer

Mon May 15, 2017 9:32 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

It seems that all the parts that I have for the zf , slave, master, line seem to be correct. I am wondering if maybe there is a difference in flywheel thicknesses, I am running an explorer 5.0 and I bought a flywheel for a 90s ford pickup with a 5.0 so I would have the the right imbalance. And the clutch is for a 5.8l and it's an 11" with finger style pressure plate. My brother works for ford so I will see if he can get me a decent deal on a Motorcraft slave.

Wed May 17, 2017 11:41 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

It seems that all the parts that I have for the zf , slave, master, line seem to be correct. I am wondering if maybe there is a difference in flywheel thicknesses, I am running an explorer 5.0 and I bought a flywheel for a 90s ford pickup with a 5.0 so I would have the the right imbalance. And the clutch is for a 5.8l and it's an 11" with finger style pressure plate. My brother works for ford so I will see if he can get me a decent deal on a Motorcraft slave.

Wed May 17, 2017 11:52 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed May 17, 2017 12:47 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Do you think It's possible that I got a slave for a m5OD for some reason? Or would this even bolt up to a zf5

I'm trying to think of everything

Wed May 17, 2017 1:37 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed May 17, 2017 8:43 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

So you're still using the finger style pressure plate? I would be tempted to change that to the diaphragm style and see if it makes a difference...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wed May 17, 2017 8:50 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Dang I was hoping that might have been my problem

And No sorry eck I messed that up, it is the diaphragm style pressure plate, I think I am going to go ahead and have my brother order a new slave for me though from ford since he gets a discount.

Right now I have the zf supported by a tranny jack and a few bolts holding it to the engine for easy removal and reinstall, every time I change tweak something I bolt it back up and have a helper push in the clutch while I rotate the yoke by hand, and still as soon as the clutch is let up even the slightest amount I can no longer turn the yoke. Just like it has been doing while I was driving it. I've bled the entire assembly multiple different ways while it was out, and all have produced this result. So like digger said the slave must have some kinda negative pressure pulling in air, hopefully the new one will get me going...

Wed May 17, 2017 9:40 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I will take some pictures tomorrow when I get back in town

Wed May 17, 2017 9:46 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Ok so I took the clutch back out to reference it against a clutch I had for an 89 5.8l that also had a zf behind it and everything measures out to be identical between them so I highly doubt it's the clutch.

Here is how I made the master adjustable, I cut the head off and 3/8 bolt and drilled a hole in the center of it the same size as the clutch rod. Then I welded them together and on the pedal is a hiem with the right female threads for the bolt. The rod have 1.5 inches of travel in the master cylinder.
My brother will be getting me a new slave from ford today, any tricks to bench bleeding the hole system while I have everything out?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat May 20, 2017 8:52 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You mentioned that your MC does bottom out, but is the piston returning all the way to the "home" position?

- What's your pedal ratio? (Pedal to pivot distance / MC rod to pivot distance)

When I installed mine, I had to make sure the pedal ratio was set so that the MC had full travel, then put a travel limiter on it to prevent damage. This way the clutch has maximum travel.

I just thought of something else: Is your firewall flexing? I've seen this happen before.

Sat May 20, 2017 6:01 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The rod goes into the master 1.5 inches before it bottoms out and and yes it does return all the way out and does not stay on the floor, when I took it out the pedal felt nice and firm, you could feel resistance the moment you pushed it in vs it being spongy. The firewall does flex a little bit but I know the pedal has maximum throw and is bottoming out now from the master before it hits the floor. How did you make your travel limiter, that sounds like a great idea

Sat May 20, 2017 6:31 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Decided to put the new slave in from ford ,I gravity bled the crap out of itand put the tranny back in . Then I used a vacuum bleeder and bled the system several more times. Finally I had a firm clutch pedal .I had my dad come help me and we did the same test as before.as he would push the clutch in I would turn the yoke as he slowly let up on the pedal until I could feel it grab. It now grabs towards the top of its throw instead of right at the bottom. I won't know for sure until I drive it but that is still a little ways out.

Thanks for everyone's help on this!

Also is anybody else's clutch pedal real hard? Mine is super firm, more so than my superduty with a 6 speed. Must be the pressure plate, just wondering if that is common on these things?

Sun May 21, 2017 5:38 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sun May 21, 2017 10:59 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I didn't plan as usual, but I also used a brake pedal and came right off the factory pivot point and straight at the firewall. Besides my problems with poorly made slave cylinders it has had great travel and I adjust the engagement point with a threaded sleeve.

Tue May 23, 2017 6:50 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue May 23, 2017 9:36 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Here are the instructions that BC Broncos includes with their ZF kit. I have used these to get mine measured and adjusted. The last page is not from BC but useful information if you need to add a pedal stop or need to figure out something more custom than what the rest of us have typically done in placing the Master Cylinder.

Tue May 23, 2017 10:02 am
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next