[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Rear Axle Bearings for Dummies
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 3:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Rear Axle Bearings for Dummies 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Rear Axle Bearings for Dummies
Ok so the consensus I'm getting from previous posts is that it seems I've got a bad rear axle bearing.

I just need to get this done and over with.

Again, my disclaimer is that I'm a total novice at working on this stuff. I've watched a few YouTube videos. They are all pretty bad.

Here's what's overwhelming me about this job:
1. Removing the axle. Do I need to take apart the differential? YouTube doesn't make that clear.

2. Removing the old bearings. What's the best way? i don't have a torch or a saw that cuts through metal.

3. Pressing in the new bearings. Just hammer away using a huge socket? That definitely sounds like something I could screw up. Ha ha.

And finally, a question: how much time should I plan for to replace both sides?

Anyway I need to get this over with. I just spent like 12 hours on the bushings and suspension lift. My wife is losing her patience, taking kid duty for all that time. Is there anyone in Colorado Springs who could coach me if I get stuck? There's beer and Texas T-Bone dinner in it for anyone who can be available. That place is awesome.

Thanks!!

Wed May 17, 2017 5:52 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Rear Axle Bearings for Dummies
you should look for an ol skool chilton bible. Tons of info:
#1- after tire is off, pull the 4 nuts off the T bolts that hold the brake backing plate & axle retainer (axle w/ bearing will pull through the backing plate). you dont need to disassemble the complete diff

#2 pressing the old bearings off is the best way; however, ive never had success with my clam shell. you can cut the bearing off with a cut off wheel & grinder, just dont go all the way through to the axle shaft. I usually do 2 places then smack it with a hammer. It will shatter

#3 Step away from the internet video's your watching.... you need to press the bearing and collars on.

and finally... stating yourself as a novice, you may want to dedicate a day to knock this out. once you've done it, it can be completed in about 1-1/2 hrs start to finish.

PM me if you need the bearings pressed on or further help, Im only a few miles from you at Stetson Hills & Powers. Plus you said the magic word of " :beer:" Im a believer you should do exactly what your doing. Get your hands dirty and learn as much as you can about your Bronco. To many people dont know how their vehicle works and just pay to have things fixed, which screws you when your by yourself in BFE with a broke down Bronc.

Wed May 17, 2017 7:11 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed May 17, 2017 7:34 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I can let you use one of our bearing heaters if it will help. Just let me know.

Wed May 17, 2017 1:04 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed May 17, 2017 3:08 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Well I got the driver side off, but passenger side isn't budging.

I'm starting to think I found the source of my grinding sounds.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu May 18, 2017 5:05 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I think ya have a warranty claim there..... :)

Thu May 18, 2017 6:15 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

If you don't have a slide hammer.......

Mount a brake drum on the hub backwards and use a heacy dead blow / rubber mallet on the drum

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Thu May 18, 2017 6:19 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu May 18, 2017 6:41 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

It looks like the axle has ball bearings on it. Can these be replaced with roller bearings?

Thu May 18, 2017 7:31 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I needed a slide hammer for one of my axles. They make easy work of it. Autozone, Advance Auto parts, they will loan a slide hammer to you for free, get one, and make it easy. I cut my old bearing off, really an easy job. Protect your eyes! And you must use a press for new bearings and retainers. Again, super easy job to press them on.

Fri May 19, 2017 10:16 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks Brent. That's exactly how it went down, actually! Was working from home today and couldn't help but sneak a few "breaks" into the garage and got both axles out, cut off all bearings, pryed out the seals, and a huge thanks to DirtHeadz (Ben) for being cool about my intermittent amatueir-hour texts, and pressing the bearings on for me. A great guy, even entertained my 3 year old and got my 10 month old girl laughing in his really cool garage. Fun day today! Now I'm ready for some trails.

Oh by the way, did you know that a Mag Light makes for a perfect seal driver?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri May 19, 2017 10:30 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

no problem... The club has a bunch of cool dudes if you ever need some guidance or help. Just keep at it and you'll be a EB pro!

Tue May 23, 2017 7:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]